Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1996567 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25395 on: December 21, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25396 on: December 21, 2019, 11:49:02 PM »

And you still almost couldn't beat the guy

Since the pardons came after the election, your post makes even less sense than usual.
The pardons came at the end of his term.

Yes. After the election, therefore "almost couldn't be the guy" is a non-sequitur.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25398 on: December 22, 2019, 12:25:54 AM »

Forget it, kiid. It’s Kentucky.

May want to take note of a overlooked election result in Ky(overlooked by the Main Street media).
Daniel Cameron became the Commonwealth’s first GOP Attorney General in 70 years. He is also the first African-American to ever win a statewide election in the Blue Grass State. Cameron becomes the leader of the GOP in Kentucky.
Expect him to be a featured speaker at the National GOP Convention this summer.
Look! Look! We've got one!

I talked about it at the time, Ward.
Good for you.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #25399 on: December 22, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »

Impeachment as contemplated by the Constitution does not consist merely of the vote by the House, but of the process of sending the articles to the Senate for trial. Both parts are necessary to make an impeachment under the Constitution: The House must actually send the articles and send managers to the Senate to prosecute the impeachment. And the Senate must actually hold a trial.

If the House does not communicate its impeachment to the Senate, it hasn’t actually impeached the president. If the articles are not transmitted, Trump could legitimately say that he was not impeached.

Well, that's what lawyers do -- concoct arguments.
This is the sort of vaguely plausible but convoluted logic that law professors can't resist.  Really this should be prefaced, "it can be argued that ..."  And if Prof Feldman wants to contemplate what the Constitution contemplates, he should look at the Constitutional Congress history and the drafting of the impeachment section.

Of course the Constitution doesn't say what he claims it mean/implies.  What's odd is Feldman adds a third requirement.  Not only doe Feldman say that the House has to 1) vote on impeachment articles, but also 2) transmit the results to the Senate.  Then he adds 3) the Senate has to hold a trial.  Hmm.  So if McConnell just refuses to hold a Senate trial over impeachment, then Trump was never impeached, according to Feldman? 

And for whatever reason Feldman slips in another minor requirement: that the House 4) send managers to prosecute the impeachment case.  Feldman seems to believe that all 4 steps are necessary to constitute impeachment, but he doesn't explicitly say so, as it gets easier to poke holes in his made-up requirements the more he has and the weaker these seem. 

How about if the Senate holds a trial, but the House doesn't send managers maybe because it believes the Senate trial is a partisan sham with a pre-determined outcome?  In both cases, according to Feldman, Trump was never impeached, despite having been, uh, impeached by the House vote?  All seems rather counterintuitive, and created out of whole cloth.

It seems much simpler to believe impeachment occurs when the House votes for impeachment, since the House has the sole power of impeachment.  And the Senate has the trial which functions as deciding upon the penalty if any, especially removal from office.  That is, it sure looks like the House is in charge of impeaching and the Senate provides a check by determining if it is warranted and how to proceed.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #25400 on: December 22, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »

It's a weirdly passive-aggressive argument from Ward: I'm just posting some notes from a legal scholar, I'm not really forming a judgment or opinion of any kind...

Yeah, uh huh.

barton

« Reply #25401 on: December 22, 2019, 11:28:38 AM »

Since the pardons came after the election, your post makes even less sense than usual.
The pardons came at the end of his term.

Yes. After the election, therefore "almost couldn't be the guy" is a non-sequitur.

And what he really doesn't want to mentally grapple with is that a red state that elected Moscow Mitch just elected Andy Beshear, a Democrat. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25402 on: December 22, 2019, 11:45:00 AM »

It's a weirdly passive-aggressive argument from Ward: I'm just posting some notes from a legal scholar, I'm not really forming a judgment or opinion of any kind...

Yeah, uh huh.
iIt was the opinion of an Constitutional Scholar who the democrats called as a witness to buttress their case for Impeaching Trump.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:47:20 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25403 on: December 22, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »

Yeah, uh huh.
iIt was the opinion of an Constitutional Scholar who the democrats called as a witness to buttress their case for Impeaching Trump.

Yeah, so?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25404 on: December 22, 2019, 12:22:45 PM »

“Last year I signed legislation that gives our Veterans CHOICE, through private providers, and at urgent care facilities! Today we fully funded this $10 billion a year effort that gets our brave Veterans care quickly, and close to home.”

Donald J. Trump — 12/20/2019

What a lying sack of shit.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #25405 on: December 22, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »

“I think this completely crosses a line,” said professor Kathleen Culver, director for journalism ethics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

“I would define one of the central characteristics of journalism as independence and here there is no independence. It is taking a source and bringing that source into the actual information gathering,” she said. “By making Giuliani a central figure in the gathering of information,” she added, “I think they’ve moved out of the realm of journalism and into the realm of advocacy.”   

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/19/journalists-blast-one-america-news-series-giuliani-087893

(speaking of lying sacks of shit)

barton

« Reply #25406 on: December 22, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »

Yeah, uh huh.

Uh huh.  And did he?

BTW:  You don't capitalize "impeach___" unless it begins a sentence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25407 on: December 22, 2019, 01:36:48 PM »

Yeah, uh huh.

Uh huh.  And did he?
Did he what?

Okay

[/quote]

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25408 on: December 22, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »

Yeah, uh huh.

It was the opinion of an Constitutional Scholar who the democrats called as a witness to buttress their case for Impeaching Trump.

Uh huh.  And did he?
From his testimony

Professor Feldman: President Trump’s conduct described in the testimony and evidence clearly constitutes an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor under the Constitution. According to the testimony and to the publicly released memorandum of the July 25, 2019, telephone call between the two presidents, President Trump abused his office by soliciting the president of Ukraine to investigate his political rivals in order to gain personal political advantage, including in the 2020 presidential election. This act on its own qualifies as an impeachable high crime and misdemeanor.

Okay
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:49:25 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25409 on: December 22, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »

Prior to the election in 2016 Don John Trump said the election was rigged.
That was a rare true statement from THE Donald.
How did Trump know the election was rigged?
Easy, he knew because he had asked his best friend in the whole wide world, Putin, to rig
the election for him.  Putin was more than happy to subvert any democracy's election.
Trump won a rigged election and was subsequently impreached for his actions.
Trump is on record asking a foreign government to interfere in our domestic affairs, i.e. Elections.
He deserved to be impreached and was. 
Despite what and when the Senate takes its actions, Trump remains an impreached, un-duly elected fraud and con-man.

Exactly the opposite

Had Trump had anything to do with - any knowledge of ANYONE working to unlawfully benefit HIM in the election he'd have kept his mouth shut.

As you were, sir.

Just like he would not ask a foreign country to help him get elected in public.

Oh, wait...

Would never happen minus the overly aggressive tactics Dems have utilized.

And no - on its own far from impeachable conduct
Pages: 1 ... 1692 1693 [1694] 1695 1696 ... 4288