Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1730 1731 [1732] 1733 1734 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1985461 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25965 on: January 06, 2020, 08:55:32 PM »

The US already left Iraq once and was invited back in to fight ISIS and train the Iraqi military. 
A misrepresentation of actual events.
Obama pulled out US Troops in 2011 and used the phrase “ the tide of war is receding” during his re-election campaign.
While we were gone the Islamic State grew in Iraq and Obama HAD to return the troops lest the jihadists take over Baghdad. Obama’s blunder was trying to appease Iran and it was certainly a big mistake.

Uh, W Bush agreed on a US withdrawal because Iraq was no longer willing to give US troops immunity for any atrocities and crimes they committed in Iraq.  The withdrawal was completed under O.

O returned US troops to Iraq at the invitation of the gov't after the army collapsed mostly without a fight in the North.

There was no appeasement of Iran in the withdrawal that W Bush agreed to and Obama implemented.
Spin it any way that makes you feel better.
The decision to pull troops out of Iraq in 2011 was a disastrous one and only fueled Iranian meddling to the point Obama had to send troops back.
Iran meddling? Iran has nothing to do with ISIS. ISIS, like al Qaeda, is radical Sunni.

Shiite militias are armed by Iran whose  strategic goal is making Iraq its political and military subsidiary.
And the date of the pull out was based on the terminal date from the SoFA negotiated by Bush. Iraq was not willing to negotiate a new one.
LOL. Obama was hell bent on winning re-election, not in keeping jihadists out of Bahgdad much to the delight of Iran.
Shiite militias are not what drew us back into Iraq. But if you are concerned with Iraq becoming a client state of Iran, congratulations! Our amateur President has just gone a long way to making that happen.

And it was polite of Bush to negotiate a terminal date for the SoFA that coincided with Obama's reelection plan! I note you do not, and cannot, dispute the underlying facts: Bush negotiated the date, and Iraq would not renegotiate it.
No. Obama was more than happy to use that as an excuse.
And it backfired.

Ward, in hindsight only, thinks we should have stayed in Iraq, even though they told us not to. He likely applauds Trump's stated intention of taking oil from Iraq to "pay us" for our services.
He also continues to not deny:

1. That the pull out date was set by the Bush Administration, and
2. That Iraq did not want to extend the SoFA.
I dont deny either.
But both are moot.
Obama held the cards for negotiations.
He preferred focusing on reelection and before long we were back in Iraq cleaning up his mistake.
You do not see.the inherent contradiction between your first and third sentence, do you.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #25966 on: January 06, 2020, 08:58:44 PM »

https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-police-catch-24-people-alleged-deliberate-started-bushfires/acdeff0c-88c3-4801-b3b1-5d6c3bd22480

Cops and arson unit round up two dozen alleged firestarters in NSW

But climate change startedmany of the fires and fueled all of them into roaring, unstoppable infernos
fify
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25967 on: January 06, 2020, 09:00:45 PM »

Red does not deal honestly in business or personal matters.

Red views anyone who maintains the integrity of themselves or their organization by honoring words as a chump.

He only sees leadership in those who won’t stop lying to him and to everyone else.

It’s how he got himself ass deep in a dying industry.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25968 on: January 06, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25969 on: January 06, 2020, 09:38:59 PM »

The US already left Iraq once and was invited back in to fight ISIS and train the Iraqi military. 
A misrepresentation of actual events.
Obama pulled out US Troops in 2011 and used the phrase “ the tide of war is receding” during his re-election campaign.
While we were gone the Islamic State grew in Iraq and Obama HAD to return the troops lest the jihadists take over Baghdad. Obama’s blunder was trying to appease Iran and it was certainly a big mistake.

Uh, W Bush agreed on a US withdrawal because Iraq was no longer willing to give US troops immunity for any atrocities and crimes they committed in Iraq.  The withdrawal was completed under O.

O returned US troops to Iraq at the invitation of the gov't after the army collapsed mostly without a fight in the North.

There was no appeasement of Iran in the withdrawal that W Bush agreed to and Obama implemented.
Spin it any way that makes you feel better.
The decision to pull troops out of Iraq in 2011 was a disastrous one and only fueled Iranian meddling to the point Obama had to send troops back.
Iran meddling? Iran has nothing to do with ISIS. ISIS, like al Qaeda, is radical Sunni.

Shiite militias are armed by Iran whose  strategic goal is making Iraq its political and military subsidiary.
And the date of the pull out was based on the terminal date from the SoFA negotiated by Bush. Iraq was not willing to negotiate a new one.
LOL. Obama was hell bent on winning re-election, not in keeping jihadists out of Bahgdad much to the delight of Iran.
Shiite militias are not what drew us back into Iraq. But if you are concerned with Iraq becoming a client state of Iran, congratulations! Our amateur President has just gone a long way to making that happen.

And it was polite of Bush to negotiate a terminal date for the SoFA that coincided with Obama's reelection plan! I note you do not, and cannot, dispute the underlying facts: Bush negotiated the date, and Iraq would not renegotiate it.
No. Obama was more than happy to use that as an excuse.
And it backfired.

Ward, in hindsight only, thinks we should have stayed in Iraq, even though they told us not to. He likely applauds Trump's stated intention of taking oil from Iraq to "pay us" for our services.
He also continues to not deny:

1. That the pull out date was set by the Bush Administration, and
2. That Iraq did not want to extend the SoFA.
I dont deny either.
But both are moot.
He preferred focusing on reelection and before long we were back in Iraq cleaning up his mistake.

Iraq: We won't negotiate.
Ward: See? It's Obama's fault!
Everybody who knows Ward's style: Zzzzzzzzzzz
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25970 on: January 06, 2020, 09:45:43 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/06/politics/esper-iran-cultural-sites-trump/index.html

Esper contradicts Trump.

Will Esper resign if Trump tells him how it is going to be or will Esper give in? How about our generals?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25971 on: January 06, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/01/06/rand-paul-iran-trump-bolton-vpx.cnn

"Nobody in their right minds would actually think that" killing Soleimani "would lead to negotiations," explained Rand Paul, having observed that this would have unintended consequences and lead to more Americans being at risk of attack.

Who knew that Rand Paul could be the voice of reason. Of course, he blames John Bolton for it...

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25972 on: January 06, 2020, 10:10:27 PM »

I dont deny either.
But both are moot.
You do not see.the inherent contradiction between your first and third sentence, do you.
There is no contradiction.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25973 on: January 06, 2020, 10:32:34 PM »

I dont deny either.
But both are moot.
There is no contradiction.

Hahahahaha!

Sez the man who can't admit when he screws up formatting.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25974 on: January 06, 2020, 11:51:24 PM »

Trump has gone all Mad King

"All Trump cares about is shitting on Obama's legacy, sucking up to donors, and distracting from impeachment. None of this is about American interests or security. He's surrounded by ideological lunatic sycophants like Pence and Pompeo. But they're far from the only ones."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1214031169173348352.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #25975 on: January 07, 2020, 12:13:23 AM »

In case you missed this;
The (London)Observer

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a ‘Siberian’ climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world. .
You
Climate change ‘should be elevated beyond a scientific debate to a US national security concern’, say the authors, Peter Schwartz, CIA consultant and former head of planning at Royal Dutch/Shell Group...

It's what happens when non-scientists try to assemble data and global climate models and turn it into a dramatic narrative that will get attention. 

Oh.
Just FAKE NEWS? From a leftist rag in London?
The Observer is the sister newspaper of the Guardian which you frequently cite.
I guess we need to be more discerning when reading your posts.

No,  you need to bring critical thinking when you read scientific articles in ANY popular media outlet.   I cite The Guardian when, and only when,  I think their sourcing and reportage is good.   For science news,  I tend to cite peer reviewed professional journals e.g. Nature,   SciAm,  Cell,  PLOS one,  NAS proceedings,  etc.  Or newspapers that use those primary sources.   (full text of reply restored in EDIT)
LOL
The Observer (joint ownership withe Guardian)had sourcing and opinions from experts. And it was totally wrong.

What's your argument here? (and stop quoting half my replies, asshole - take the full context when it's relevant )   That a newspaper reports the opinion of a non-scientist (Schwartz) who had a poor climate model for the North Atlantic?   So?   You don't even provide the citation so we have no idea if the Observer was touting Schwartz as an expert or not.  And if they made an error,  did they later correct it?  Were any critical opinions also reported?  And did the reporting of The Guardian,  a sister news organization, become demonstrably wrong due to this one story from The Observer?   You have nothing but an innuendo which is largely devoid of any real case against The Guardian. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:01:11 PM by barton »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #25976 on: January 07, 2020, 03:29:42 AM »

Not hard to keep straight.

Blame Obama and Iran for everything.
Trump and the US can do no wrong.

Ward is one of those people who is NEVER WRONG.

When I post I try to see if I've made any mistakes or anything is mischaracterized.  I'm actually concerned about accuracy and truth and why spell-check doesn't accept mischaracterize as a legit word.

Very alien to me to just post explicitly partisan opinion and then defend it to the death with bluster and illogic and falsehoods. 

Sometimes it seems as if everyone has become a lawyer or political consultant and are going to persistently advocate for their side regardless of the facts or reality.

This whole post-truth unwillingness to acknowledge or agree on facts is a disturbing trend.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #25977 on: January 07, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »

---General Qassem Soleimani’s exploits in conflicts from Syria to Yemen made him a national hero, and hundreds of thousands have turned out this week as his funeral procession stopped in various cities, first in Iraq, where he was killed in a drone strike, and later Iran. But the masses that met the cortege ahead of his burial overwhelmed his southeastern hometown, leaving more than 50 dead and 213 injured, state TV reported.---

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/iran-generals-wake-brings-deadly-stampede-and-calls-for-revenge/ar-BBYGYwq?li=BBnb7Kz

If you die while going to the funeral of a holy warrior you pass go and get 75 horries. It is so written.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #25978 on: January 07, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »

Actually the main reason I come here is to learn.
Folks post interesting links.  Or for instance, I wasn't aware of the agreement which governed how minors are supposed to be handled by US immigration.  Or someone has an interesting perspective or opinion.   Sometimes I just don't know what's going on in the USofA enough.

I liked when Bart appreciated the Louis Simpson quote I tossed out, as I hope I contribute something useful to others knowledge.

As far as I can tell Ward isn't here to learn anything, just enjoys trolling a bunch of liberals.  Bambu is like a parody of a nervous nelly.  It's almost like performance art. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #25979 on: January 07, 2020, 10:57:53 AM »

Actually the main reason I come here is to learn.
Folks post interesting links.  Or for instance, I wasn't aware of the agreement which governed how minors are supposed to be handled by US immigration.  Or someone has an interesting perspective or opinion.   Sometimes I just don't know what's going on in the USofA enough.

I liked when Bart appreciated the Louis Simpson quote I tossed out, as I hope I contribute something useful to others knowledge.

As far as I can tell Ward isn't here to learn anything, just enjoys trolling a bunch of liberals.  Bambu is like a parody of a nervous nelly.  It's almost like performance art.
I have always had a sneaking suspicion that bambu is pulling our collective leg, and sometimes think I can detect a distinct odor of peed ale. You may have to have been an old NYT books forum regular for that recerence.

Red is what he appears to be.
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 1730 1731 [1732] 1733 1734 ... 4288