Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1731 1732 [1733] 1734 1735 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1985462 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25980 on: January 07, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »

Red is here to educate.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

barton

« Reply #25981 on: January 07, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »

When I post I try to see if I've made any mistakes or anything is mischaracterized.  I'm actually concerned about accuracy and truth and why spell-check doesn't accept mischaracterize as a legit word.

Very alien to me to just post explicitly partisan opinion and then defend it to the death with bluster and illogic and falsehoods. 

Sometimes it seems as if everyone has become a lawyer or political consultant and are going to persistently advocate for their side regardless of the facts or reality.

This whole post-truth unwillingness to acknowledge or agree on facts is a disturbing trend.

This is what the NYT columnist David Brooks has been talking about for the past few years.  He is one of the most conscientious pundits on the issue of getting past partisan posturing and entrenchment.

BTW, Klobucharisma and Klobucharacter are legit words. 

barton

« Reply #25982 on: January 07, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

BTW, anyone who likes ideological nuance, psychological complexity, and moral ambiguity might want to take a look at Alan Moore's graphic novel, "Watchmen."  I am not remotely a comic book guy, and had to be dragged to the book, but it was worth it to crack open the thing.  (caution:  I think the HBO series, from the episode I watched, is a lesser work that piggybacks on the brand but loses most of the nuance and the most interesting characters, so I wouldn't consider that or the film any kind of substitute for the original work) 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25983 on: January 07, 2020, 12:59:27 PM »

BTW, anyone who likes ideological nuance, psychological complexity, and moral ambiguity might want to take a look at Alan Moore's graphic novel, "Watchmen."  I am not remotely a comic book guy, and had to be dragged to the book, but it was worth it to crack open the thing.  (caution:  I think the HBO series, from the episode I watched, is a lesser work that piggybacks on the brand but loses most of the nuance and the most interesting characters, so I wouldn't consider that or the film any kind of substitute for the original work) 

I am a comic book guy, love Watchmen and have found the series very much capitalizes on and expands upon narratives of the original, while providing its own take on things. It took a while in it for them to tie it strongly to the graphic novel, but when they did it was well done, IMO.

Man in the High Castle also appealed to me, original and expanded and modified video both.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25984 on: January 07, 2020, 02:19:17 PM »

Actually the main reason I come here is to learn.
Folks post interesting links.  Or for instance, I wasn't aware of the agreement which governed how minors are supposed to be handled by US immigration.  Or someone has an interesting perspective or opinion.   Sometimes I just don't know what's going on in the USofA enough.

I liked when Bart appreciated the Louis Simpson quote I tossed out, as I hope I contribute something useful to others knowledge.

As far as I can tell Ward isn't here to learn anything, just enjoys trolling a bunch of liberals.  Bambu is like a parody of a nervous nelly.  It's almost like performance art.

More like real art, the daily art of dodging danger in its many forms, ...the bad people, terrorists, drunk and/or bad drivers, scammers everywhere, etc.
I live in a retirement community. The bad people are now entering our retirement communities to steal, scam, and bash us to within an inch of our lives in our own homes.
We're not allowed to have guns for protection.
American retirees are allowed to have guns.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25985 on: January 07, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »

Actually the main reason I come here is to learn.
Folks post interesting links.  Or for instance, I wasn't aware of the agreement which governed how minors are supposed to be handled by US immigration.  Or someone has an interesting perspective or opinion.   Sometimes I just don't know what's going on in the USofA enough.

I liked when Bart appreciated the Louis Simpson quote I tossed out, as I hope I contribute something useful to others knowledge.

As far as I can tell Ward isn't here to learn anything, just enjoys trolling a bunch of liberals.  Bambu is like a parody of a nervous nelly.  It's almost like performance art.

More like real art, the daily art of dodging danger in its many forms, ...the bad people, terrorists, drunk and/or bad drivers, scammers everywhere, etc.
I live in a retirement community. The bad people are now entering our retirement communities to steal, scam, and bash us to within an inch of our lives in our own homes.
We're not allowed to have guns for protection.
American retirees are allowed to have guns.
You still have a basement, right? Lock yourself in and DON'T LEAVE. Not even to poo. You never know who is out there.
A parrot bit me.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25986 on: January 07, 2020, 02:41:16 PM »

https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-police-catch-24-people-alleged-deliberate-started-bushfires/acdeff0c-88c3-4801-b3b1-5d6c3bd22480

Cops and arson unit round up two dozen alleged firestarters in NSW

But climate change started the fires

Jeez, you're a dumb fuck.

No, kid is correct.
Climate change is not responsible for these fires.
Responsible are many arsonists, etc as in the link, and lightning.

Responsible for the severity of the fires...are;

. Policies/inaction of politicians of all persuasions over the last 10-15 years, make that 20 years.
There have been many fires every summer.
Many bushfire disasters, much loss of property and lives, many inquiries, many recommendations from those inquiries...'all' basically ignored...by local councils, state govts, and federal govts...in the rush to be green .
In the rush to capture the green vote.
So today, we have what we have, the nation burning. Fires that cannot be put out.

"Govts have allowed minorities to run policy" - No 1 radio host.

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25987 on: January 07, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »

The size of Australia shocks America in bushfire map comparisons

Americans are confessing they had “no idea” how big Australia is as the size of its bushfires is compared to the size of the US.
Aussies know just how big our country is and most of us know how much of it is currently burning.

But it seems our American friends don’t.

“I didn’t realise Australia was so large! Is this to scale?,” one man asked on Twitter when science host Kyle Hill posted a map of the bushfires compared to the size of the US.

“Wow. I honestly never realised it was that large of a land mass. This is eye opening.”
Many people said the map put the fires into perspective for them.

“Damn, is that actually to scale?,” wrote another person.

“Australia is exactly the same width as the USA??,” wrote someone else.

“Wholey Crap! It is!!”

“Australia is as large as the US? Didn't know that,” wrote another woman.

#####

Well there you go.
Not exactly the same size, but close.

Of course, no need for Americans to know anything about countries other than their own.
No need to, 'all' the top attractions in the world are in America.
America has everything a person would need for travel.
Lakes?  America has 'millions' of them.
Beautiful scenery, ditto.
Big cities, ditto.
Not forgetting, Mickey the Mouse [he's so happy, look at him and he'll brighern your day.]

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:11:20 PM by bambu. »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25988 on: January 07, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »

"Environmental criminal" is one slur used to make people conform to the new green manifesto.

Tim Blair blog posts.

Burn or be Burned

Tim Blair, The Daily Telegraph
January 3, 2020 4:40pm

Subscriber only

By modern standards, my grandfather would probably be considered an environmental criminal.

To clear land for his farmhouse, milking sheds, pig pens, chicken sheds, blacksmith shop and other out buildings, he cleared hundreds of trees.
And he cleared thousands more for his wheat fields, cattle paddocks and shearing sheds. Old man Hobbs would probably be found guilty of cultural appropriation, too, because he used the Aboriginal method of land clearing.

He burned all of those trees.

He also burned trees and established dirt roads through surrounding bushland. Every year he’d burn any long grass alongside the local roads, to make those roads more effective as firebreaks.

Yesterday I asked my mother if her father followed any particular schedule for his burning. “Whenever he had spare time,” she answered.
What did the local fire brigade captain think about all of this? Not a problem. My grandfather was the local fire brigade captain.

Let’s say my grandfather torched 3000 trees, which is likely a very low estimate. At current rates, that would have resulted in a fine of more than $1.5 million. That’s the modern penalty for reducing fuel loads and such.

He was obsessive about protecting his family, farm animals and property from the risk of fire. Some were not as vigilant.

My mother, now in her 80s, recalls an occasion when her father loaded the entire family into the car and drove for 40 minutes or so to a nearby small town. The children assumed this was their destination, but their father kept on driving.

He didn’t speak much during that drive, until eventually he slowed as the vehicle approached an incinerated farm. Sheep and cattle lay burned and dead in the fields. The farm house was a charred ruin.

“This,” my grandfather said, “is what happens if you don’t prepare for fire.”

He stayed there for a good long while, sufficient for the children to fully absorb his message. One of those children later took over as the local fire captain and continued his father’s preventive burning.

Close to 100 years after he built it, my grandfather’s farm house is still standing. Fire has never touched it.

#####

Yes, "fully absorbing" is what's needed.
Will there be now?
Good question.

"Govts have allowed minorities to run policy"  - No 1 radio host.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:38:41 PM by bambu. »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25990 on: January 07, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »

http://www.dcreport.org/2020/01/07/theres-a-mad-man-in-the-white-house/

As if he made the decision alone.
Some people believe there is a higher order in America pulling his strings.

Nuke-armed Iran?
'Never will be allowed' has been conveyed to the America people more that once.

Consider what's happened as another step in the process.

ICIAWT
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:46:00 PM by bambu. »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25991 on: January 07, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »

#1 radio host & his pet monkey sound like typical sad conservatives dodging blame for problems of their own making so they can forestall logical changes that hit their profiteering paymasters’ bottom lines.

The monkey doesn’t have a paymaster. He doesn’t get paid at all. He’s just in it for the flung shit.

Nuke-armed Iran?
'Never' has been conveyed to the America people more that once.

Monkey,

Ill Douche, the imposter, donald trump made the decision on his own because he is failing and knows he is failing.

He has fired and driven off competent staff wherever he has encountered them.

Empires fall from trump style leadership.

Eat your coal, breathe your smoke, and keep deflecting responsibility from the leaders and movements you adhere to as if it will do you or them any good at all.

It won’t, but you are a tired old monkey well past learning any new tricks.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #25992 on: January 07, 2020, 03:58:42 PM »

I am a comic book guy, love Watchmen and have found the series very much capitalizes on and expands upon narratives of the original, while providing its own take on things. It took a while in it for them to tie it strongly to the graphic novel, but when they did it was well done, IMO.

Man in the High Castle also appealed to me, original and expanded and modified video both.

On a bit more of a Bill Burroughs - Philip Dick approach, Grant Morrison’s “The Filth” series gets into some similar themes. I also recommend “The Invisibles” for no specific reason at all.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25993 on: January 07, 2020, 04:34:10 PM »

Trump has gone all Mad King

Paint it.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25994 on: January 07, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »

#1 radio host & his pet monkey sound like typical sad conservatives dodging blame for problems of their own making so they can forestall logical changes that hit their profiteering paymasters’ bottom lines.

The monkey doesn’t have a paymaster. He doesn’t get paid at all. He’s just in it for the flung shit.

Nuke-armed Iran?
'Never' has been conveyed to the America people more that once.

Monkey,

Ill Douche, the imposter, donald trump made the decision on his own because he is failing and knows he is failing.

He has fired and driven off competent staff wherever he has encountered them.

Empires fall from trump style leadership.

Eat your coal, breathe your smoke, and keep deflecting responsibility from the leaders and movements you adhere to as if it will do you or them any good at all.

It won’t, but you are a tired old monkey well past learning any new tricks.

No 1 radio host is 100% correct, the people can see it.
The People know what should've been done, but wasn't allowed to be...tree burning/land clearing, firebreaks made, padlocks taken off the gates to national parks, fire trails made/cleared.
Now look what's happened.

Trump is not mentally ill, and did not make the decision on his own. Trump might've said "Fire one" and pushed the "Go" button...but there's no way known to mankind he was allowed to do that without orders from or approval from, his bosses.

https://www.axios.com/who-is-qasem-soleimani-iran-general-us-airstrike-11b93d3b-7e3b-4a24-805a-ae3516b3b174.html

Why Qasem Soleimani mattered

Why he mattered: As the leader of the elite Quds Force of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Soleimani was as revered by Iran's proxies and supporters across the region as he was reviled by Iran's foes, who considered him the mastermind of state-sponsored terrorism.

•"Soleimani ... has sought to reshape the Middle East in Iran's favor, working as a power broker and as a military force: assassinating rivals, arming allies, and, for most of a decade, directing a network of militant groups that killed hundreds of Americans in Iraq."

•"[H]e has remained mostly invisible to the outside world, even as he runs agents and directs operations. 'Suleimani is the single most powerful operative in the Middle East today,' John Maguire, a former C.I.A. officer in Iraq, told me."

The state of play: The very core of Iran's strategy of power projection in the region, which blends militant and state power" and is highlighted by its backing of Hezbollah in Lebanon, was crafted by Soleimani, according to a piece by former FBI agent Ali Soufan for the Combating Terrorism Center at West Point.

•"More than anyone else, Soleimani has been responsible for the creation of an arc of influence — which Iran terms its 'Axis of Resistance' — extending from the Gulf of Oman through Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon to the eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea."
"Soleimani, should he be so minded, could drive his car from Tehran to Lebanon’s border with Israel without being stopped. And, as the Mossad chief Yossi Cohen has pointed out, the same route would be open to truckloads of rockets bound for Iran’s main regional proxy, Hezbollah."

#####

"Trump is mentally ill"  lol

More like "it's a wonder Mr Soleimani lived as long as he did, before certain people got entirely sick of him."

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:43:45 PM by bambu. »
Pages: 1 ... 1731 1732 [1733] 1734 1735 ... 4288