Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1797 1798 [1799] 1800 1801 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604744 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #26970 on: January 31, 2020, 09:20:42 AM »

I don’t think these Senators understand what happens after they vote against witness and acquit Trump.

If only they were Larry B wise...

If only we all were.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26971 on: January 31, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »

Republicans want to cheat you out of your elections so they can go on to cheat you out of your land, your job, your money, and your freedom.

Yes.  This, exactly.

No redeeming value at all to close to half the population of our nation.

Geez, you are dense.

The GOP "leadership" wants that.

Dolts like you just support them for your own venal reasons.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26972 on: January 31, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »

I don’t think these Senators understand what happens after they vote against witness and acquit Trump.

If only they were Larry B wise...

If only we all were.

Half that wise would do it, Kid. Let's not push for the impossible, okay?

I get that you don't think there will be negative repercussions. They're already happening.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26973 on: January 31, 2020, 09:39:38 AM »

"Whether we shall continue to be a Government of laws and not of men is now for Congress and ultimately the American people."
~Archibald Cox, in a prepared statement, read the night of the Saturday Night Massacre, after his firing (preceded by the firing of Richardson and Ruckleshaus).

"Nope. Not as far as I'm concerned."
~Mitch McConnell, reflecting on Cox, the night before the votes to avoid witnesses or evidence and to acquit Donald J. Trump in his sham trial.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26974 on: January 31, 2020, 10:04:55 AM »

Republicans want to cheat you out of your elections so they can go on to cheat you out of your land, your job, your money, and your freedom.

Yes.  This, exactly.

Geez, you are dense.

The GOP "leadership" wants that.

Dolts like you just support them for your own venal reasons.

Why are you being Fac's Charlie McCarthy?  Clearly he feels this way about all of our party.

barton

« Reply #26975 on: January 31, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »

Yes.  This, exactly.

As of December 2019, Gallup polling found that 28% of Americans identified as Republican... 

I like verification of statements resting on math.   A quarter is not a half. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26976 on: January 31, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »

You're the moderator, Josh - not needed to comment on all conversation.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:23:48 AM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26977 on: January 31, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »

Yes.  This, exactly.

As of December 2019, Gallup polling found that 28% of Americans identified as Republican... 

Trump really scoring with those independents

barton

« Reply #26978 on: January 31, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »

And Ptolemy is really scoring with those uncertain on whether or not planets orbit anything.   

75% of Americans want the Senate to call witnesses.  So, Lamar seems to be contradicting his own logic of "let the people decide" as regards the impeachment proceedings.  The notion that the people's wishes can only be represented by a presidential election every four years, and no other means, is ridiculous.  We the peeps seem to understand this at the state level, where recall elections and other direct procedures are allowed.  The founders, in the 1700s, had a federal government that really didn't have the funds to hold recalls, so they wrote an article on impeachment as a safeguard against abuses of power. 

And Lamar also seems to contradict the obvious, when he says Trump committed no crime, apparently forgetting that the FEC and GAO have both pointed out criminal violations.  Or does his fervor for not having "partisanship rule the impeachment process" wither when nonpartisan commissions report things that don't favor a partisan POV?  What DO Republicans put in their koolaid? 

oilcan

« Reply #26979 on: January 31, 2020, 12:53:57 PM »

Also puzzling that Alexander says Trump did something inappropriate and wrong, yet isn't willing to call for a vote to censure.  Y'know, sometimes guys who are retiriing will try to chime a note of moral leadership on the way out.  But, no. 

oilcan

« Reply #26980 on: January 31, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »

LONDON — Well, that wasn’t easy. But after 1,317 days, three prime ministers, two blown exit dates, dozens of votes in Parliament and years of negotiation, Britain will finally leave the European Union on Friday.

Brexit Day — or Brexit Night? — is finally here. At 11 p.m. London time, or midnight in Brussels, Britain is officially out, after almost five decades with the closest of ties to Europe.

The United Kingdom will now go it alone — and either zoom ahead with Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s vision for a can-do “Global Britain,” or the country will find itself economically diminished, a solo player on the world stage, spending years seeking trade deals and relevance, with its bowler hat in hand.

If they can still afford the hat.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26981 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »

Yes.  This, exactly.

Just because you might appreciate it: yesterday I stopped for some delicious gas station coffee and saw a man wearing a long sleeved t shirt with a mock Wanted poster featuring the picture of a cat and the caption: Schrodinger's Cat Wanted Dead and Alive.

When you reject science, why be bothered with math? By the rules of the right wing internet certainty Trumps facts and evidence.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

barton

« Reply #26982 on: January 31, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »

Thanks.  I wonder if Schrodinger knew he would generate an entire gag teeshirt industry in the future?  Probably not.

I think it would be fair to send everyone who rejects science back to the 1200's (wait, no, they had metallurgy and some basic physics and chemistry), back to the Neolithic Paleolithic Era and see how they like a relatively science-free life.  Not a bad life, and if things get rough, you just toss a virgin down a volcano and it fixes everything!

barton

« Reply #26983 on: January 31, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »

Fuck Lisa Murkowski.

Somehow that comment feels different than when I say it about Mitch McConnell or Trump.

But, still:  fuck her.

Another no vote on having witnesses.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26984 on: January 31, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »

You're the moderator, Josh - not needed to comment on all conversation.

OMG, really?!

Thank you soooooooooo much for the clarification, Kid!

Finally, finally, I can stop responding to every basketball thread and college football thread!

You cannot imagine what a relief that is to me, though I will grant you that it more a reflection on your imagination than on the extent of my relief.
Pages: 1 ... 1797 1798 [1799] 1800 1801 ... 4288