Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1839 1840 [1841] 1842 1843 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583743 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #27600 on: February 14, 2020, 06:51:54 AM »

The other day Red claimed the AP is biased against Israel.  Maybe somewhat compared to the dominant pro-Israel bias that's standard in the US.   But when I read the AP they always seem rather pro-Israel to me.
For instance:
the vast majority of the world considers Israeli settlements to be illegal.

President Donald Trump, however, has taken a more lenient position, tolerating continued Israeli settlement construction and releasing a Mideast plan last month that envisions giving Israel permanent control over all of its settlements.

They've actually toughened to vast majority from the previous most countries.   But of course that's true and more accurate. Better if they just said transferring population to occupied land is illegal under intl law.   

But "lenient" is a real gentle word.   And the US has tolerated settlement expansion for decades.  Trump has endorsed settlements, hired on staunch pro-settlement folks and is ready to endorse annexation of much of the WB and Jerusalem.

The AP tends to use the same language formula consistently,  and this gets spread throughout most of the printed media.

And that's just the latest example.   I find a pro-Israel bias in most AP articles on ghd subject.   Hopefully "lenient" will be dropped as a mushy,  allowing,  condoning description.

The AP is a bit less pro-Israel than the standard cheerleading minimally critical US press,  which is still definitely pro-Israel compared to Europe or the rest of the world.  Only in the US could the AP be accused of anti-Israel bias.   I'd like roses examples (and would be pretty sure any would be one-offs,  if they exist).  I read AP news all the time and can't recall any.   Certainly doesn't turn up in their stock summaries and repeated phraseology.

I sure hope whichever DEM gets the nomination goes after Trump hard for calling the media the enemy of the people.   I'd civics lesson his ass hard on that.   And his BS denunciation of fake news while rarely proving anything  false or misleading.   

There should be hell to pay for his lies,  but Trunk should get roasted for his media bashing.

Btw,  if I were the Dem,  I'd have a list prepared of Trump lies for every topic and read one or two whoppers before answering a question.

"So lets see what Donald Trump had to say about ..."

Read off something stupid.

"Well of course that's nonsense/wrong/foolish,  the truth is ..."
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27601 on: February 14, 2020, 08:33:10 AM »

To be clear: Trump is conditioning the equal enforcement of a Federal law on New York dropping litigation that solely benefits him personally and his personal businesses, and which benefits the country not one damned bit? If I were Susan Collins I would feel really, really fucking stupid right now. Red and kid and Lindsey Graham are fine with it though. At least until President Klobuchar tries it.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27602 on: February 14, 2020, 11:07:42 AM »

I assume she represents NY when filing the suits.  Thus her tweet makes little sense.

Does the AG wish to have HER own private meeting with Trump?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27603 on: February 14, 2020, 11:28:22 AM »

I assume she represents NY when filing the suits.  Thus her tweet makes little sense.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27604 on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »

US reaches TRUCE deal with Taliban

Still just first stage but could lead to US troops leaving Afghanistan

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27605 on: February 14, 2020, 11:47:49 AM »

AG operates separately of the executive. Trump is trying to strong arm the wrong public official to achieve his personal benefit.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

oilcan

« Reply #27606 on: February 14, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »

I'm sure the governor will be happy to explain things to Trump, hopefully using words mainly of one syllable.  And maybe some helpful stick drawings. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27607 on: February 14, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »

At which time they resume doing what they were doing before we got involved.

And we will have wasted a ton of money and lives. while betraying even more people.

Oh boy.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27608 on: February 14, 2020, 12:59:07 PM »

Looks like Barr's complaints were issued with Trump's advance permission, after all, give the Twitterer-in-Chief's only reaction has been to claim the absolute legal right to tell the doj what to do.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #27609 on: February 14, 2020, 01:00:51 PM »

Eugene Robinson's column today, "America, the Banana Republic," is worth reading.

On another story, I hope congress can finally address the scourge of surprise medical bills.  Wife's friend, her husband just died, and she just got a bill for something like $120,000 in the mail.  I recommended a good lawyer who handles medical insurance disputes, hope this cruelly timed and predatory shit can be stopped.  When our society commodified human life and the protection of health it went in a really bad direction. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27610 on: February 14, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »

You immediately assume the woman was being soaked for the 120k?

Hospitalization costs
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27611 on: February 14, 2020, 02:09:04 PM »

At which time they resume doing what they were doing before we got involved.

IF it doesn't work.  Plan is that this might lead to talks between Tal. and Afg. gvt.

And maybe a pact

There are many outliers   So many cannot be counted on/trusted - on both sides.  Tough to predict.  Have to just keep trying

Today was a good day in the fight.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #27612 on: February 14, 2020, 02:12:59 PM »

You immediately assume the woman was being soaked for the 120k?

Hospitalization costs

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #27613 on: February 14, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

Yippee!

No more American troops slaughtered for nothing in Afghanistan!
All troops home for Christmas!   [or next week, preferably.]
Go woke, go broke.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27614 on: February 14, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »

Happy Valentine's Day!

Here is a Wikipedia page about the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Valentine%27s_Day_Massacre

And the best sandwich at the Sub Machine sandwich shop in Lancaster is the Saint Valentine's Day Massacre, it is a great sandwich...

https://www.submachinelancaster.com/

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 1839 1840 [1841] 1842 1843 ... 4288