Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595389 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #28650 on: March 09, 2020, 01:01:39 PM »

Sure masks make it easier to get the virus, and people are going to wear them incorrectly and touch their faces more, and there aren't enough anyway.

Jeez.  Anyone believe any of that, except the last part (poor planning and organization there).

Btw, the mask I bought for $3 at a Shanghai pharmacy has a flap inside where you stick in a filter (3 came with the mask), allowing it to block particles 2.5 microns or greater.  The mask and filters are washable.  And the mask is stylishly black.

In Shanghai, where masks are obligatory in public, and everyone wears them, the official count is 342 cases, 321 cured.  My district which probably has 500k people has had 19 cases , 18 officially cured.  Friends have told me of cases in my area.  Reportedly the maternity hospital directly across the street had a fairly early case (pre Feb, I think it was).  Supposedly there were two cases in the subway station two blocks from me.  And apparently a couple cases of transiting passengers in the Shanghai airport.  I wear the mask as a courtesy to others as much as to protect myself. 

The precautions here are impressive.  The whole city is under voluntary lockdown.  You can ago out as you please and food stores and restaurants, cafes and some clothing stores are open.  Not much else.  Guards patrol the entrance to every building and alleyway community.  To enter if you don't live there, you must have a legit reason, show ID, get your temp checked, and write your name and ID # and phone # in a log book, for contact tracing if any case turns up at that location.  They also offer hand sanitizer.  Schools and gathering places closed for a month now.  Online classes and work from home.  Soon there will be no cases in SH, which is more than NYC or SF can say.

It makes sense to take precautions early before there is a Northern Italy/Iran/So Korea style outbreak in the US or elsewhere. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #28651 on: March 09, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »

I wonder what would happen if people gave thought to the human mortality rate from malaria, the fact that death can largely be prevented by nets and strategic spraying and prompt treatment of children age 5 and under.  From WHO stats, it looks like tens of millions have died in the past few decades, currently around half a million deaths per year, and most of them children.  Imagine how many lives would be saved if rich countries like the US were to allocate, say, $8 billion, to prevention. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28652 on: March 09, 2020, 01:40:23 PM »

True

For instance Dems held up the current 8.7 billion dollar COVID-relief bill so they could get good anti-Trump PR going.

Sick.

More unsupported bullshit.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28653 on: March 09, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »

Egypt suspends all large gatherings to deter spread of coronavirus

Should Trump do the same?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #28654 on: March 09, 2020, 01:47:39 PM »

I can't imagine the President having the power to do so.  Though I'm sure he thinks he has such power.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28655 on: March 09, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »

I wonder what would happen if people gave thought to the human mortality rate from malaria, the fact that death can largely be prevented by nets and strategic spraying and prompt treatment of children age 5 and under.  From WHO stats, it looks like tens of millions have died in the past few decades, currently around half a million deaths per year, and most of them children.  Imagine how many lives would be saved if rich countries like the US were to allocate, say, $8 billion, to prevention.

"U.S. funding for bilateral malaria control efforts and research activities was $984 million in FY 2019."

"In 2018, an estimated US$ 2.7 billion was invested in malaria control and elimination efforts globally by governments of malaria endemic countries and international partners – a reduction from the US$ 3.2 billion that was invested in 2017. The amount invested in 2018 fell short of the US$ 5.0 billion estimated to be required globally to stay on track towards the GTS milestones."

Deaths from malaria have fallen about 30% from 2010 to 2018, which is good progress. Deaths from malaria may be in the same ballpark worldwide as from the flu and its effects.

Sounds like $8 billion once wouldn't do the job, but $3 billion (extra) a year might, for the next decade or two.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 02:33:05 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28656 on: March 09, 2020, 01:55:54 PM »

I can't imagine the President having the power to do so.  Though I'm sure he thinks he has such power.

Declaraion of a health emergency would do it. The President can do it through Health and Human Services, thence through the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

It's dicy unless it is clearly interstate, but I suspect a challenge would lose.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28657 on: March 09, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/trump-and-his-close-advisers-have-not-been-tested-for-coronavirus-despite-possible-cpac-exposure-report/

The president was exposed at CPAC.

He and his peeps are out shaking (ungloved) hands in Florida.

It's not contained.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #28658 on: March 09, 2020, 01:58:38 PM »

Declaraion of a health emergency would do it. The President can do it through Health and Human Services, thence through the CDC:

It's dicy unless it is clearly interstate, but I suspect a challenge would lose.
I think that's a little (but importantly) different from what Kid is asking.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28659 on: March 09, 2020, 02:03:02 PM »

Yankguy - the king of non answers

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #28660 on: March 09, 2020, 02:04:50 PM »

I don't think Trump should ban large gatherings.  Happy?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28661 on: March 09, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/trump-and-his-close-advisers-have-not-been-tested-for-coronavirus-despite-possible-cpac-exposure-report/

It's not contained.

Brad Reed is an alarmist media member

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28662 on: March 09, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »

I think that's a little (but importantly) different from what Kid is asking.

More than a little.

But since my response was only to your comments, not to his question of whether the President should do such a thing, it is unsurprising that it doesn't answer his question.

My state's determining agency says the issue is not yet at that juncture, but that they are keeping an eye on it. Individual towns are doing the same (or doing nothing). A 2000 person event near where my next conference is just canceled. MIT canceled all events of 150 people or more, excluding ongoing courses. Other colleges have cancelled courses.

And as already posted, the NBA is looking at playing sans fans.

So long as that kind of stuff keeps happening voluntarily, there is little need for the feds to step in. And... given that Donald Trump loves his big gatherings (the biggest!), his choosing to forego those seems unlikely.

But even if he should not close down the country, he probably should stop lying to the public and going out himself into the masses to give them false reassurance.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28663 on: March 09, 2020, 02:17:23 PM »

It's not contained.

I find it a bit hard to believe that the “president” wouldn’t be tested considering he was exposed to someone who has tested positive.  And I would not put it past them to lie about it if asked.

But it shouldn’t be too much to ask him to model the types of behavior we are asking the regular people to adhere to in order to contain the virus.

And sure, there is always the possibility that in his performative uncaring, he does actually get and/or transmit the virus.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28664 on: March 09, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »

Bernie Sanders also said he will not stop holding rallies.  Gave no pause at all.
Pages: 1 ... 1909 1910 [1911] 1912 1913 ... 4288