Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

How far with the Dow Jones Industrial Average fall by Jan 1?

Somewhere above 24,000 - it won't fall. It will go up.
- 1 (16.7%)
Still above 23,000, still below 23,000
- 0 (0%)
Still above 22,000, but below 23,000
- 4 (66.7%)
Still above 21,000, but below 22,000
- 0 (0%)
Still above 20,000, but below 21,000
- 0 (0%)
Somewhere below 20,000
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: December 29, 2018, 04:44:22 PM

Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565]

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 56564 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8460 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

Quite a change from the 71 - 23 against overturning Roe in the NBC/WSJ poll last July. But then, my Brother Knights did not have the question asked that way. Only 16% in that poll wanted to have abortion made illegal. Supporting any restriction at all was viewed as the equivalent of wanting Roe overturned, even though a strong majority of both parties supported abortion. There is an advantage to actually reading beyond headlines.
Which you didn't do.
Overturning Roe v. Wade is not the equivalent of outlawing abortion.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »

Quite a change from the 71 - 23 against overturning Roe in the NBC/WSJ poll last July. But then, my Brother Knights did not have the question asked that way. Only 16% in that poll wanted to have abortion made illegal. Supporting any restriction at all was viewed as the equivalent of wanting Roe overturned, even though a strong majority of both parties supported abortion. There is an advantage to actually reading beyond headlines.
Which you didn't do.
LOL. A large majority in that poll supported the continued legal protection of abortion. The poll never asked if Roe should be overturned. They just lumped people who favored any restrictions as being anti Roe. It was an intellectually dishonest reading of the results.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:32:46 PM by whiskeypriest »
You were such a super lady... and I'm, I'm so lonely.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: January 15, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »

We're up to 35 credible or quasi-credible candidates for the Democratic nomination.

Declared and running
Julian Castro
John Delaney
Tulsi Gabbard
Jay Inslee
Maj. Richard Ojeda (Ret.)

Scheduled Announcement
Kamala Harris
Marianne Williamson

Exploratory Committees
Kirsten Gillibrand
Elizabeth Warren

Declared, but while more credible than the other 130ish unknowns, pretty low profile
Michael Arth
Harry Braun (Ran thrice before, twice as Dem)
Ken Nwadike, Jr.
Robby Wells (Ran twice before, not as a Dem)
Andrew Yang

And 21 others...
18* current or past elected office holders (7 current senators, 2 current US Reps plus Beto, 3 current and 1 former mayor, 2 current and 2 former mayors, and 1 ex-VP), plus...
Eric Holder,
Angelina Jolie,
and
Oscar de la Hoya

*Michael Baker, Bloomberg, Booker, Brown, Bullock, Buttigieg, Casey Jr., De Blasio, Garcetti, Hickenlooper, Klobuchar, McAuliffe, Merkley, O'Rourke, Tim Ryan, Sanders, and Eric Swalwell

Who's your favorite among those?!

Italics in that bottom list means I think nobody has heard of them and that that is not going to change, even if they run.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: January 15, 2019, 11:45:57 PM »

Which you didn't do.
LOL. A large majority in that poll supported the continued legal protection of abortion.
Yes, my point.  How many times you want to repeat it?
The poll never asked if Roe should be overturned.
The whole point of the poll.

Rather than asking Americans whether they support or oppose Roe v. Wade, Marist and KOC asked about the ideal outcome of a reconsideration of the Court's original ruling. The poll asked respondents, "Which comes closest to your view of what the Supreme Court should do when it reconsiders Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling making abortion illegal in the United States?"
Most Americans either wanted the Court to make abortion illegal (16 percent) or to "allow states to make certain restrictions" (49 percent). Both of these outcomes would effectively overturn Roe v. Wade

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: January 15, 2019, 11:48:22 PM »

We're up to 35 credible or quasi-credible candidates for the Democratic nomination.
I bet Dana Milbank won't refer to this conglomeration of candidates as a "clown car'.
LOL

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: January 15, 2019, 11:53:37 PM »

Which you didn't do.
LOL. A large majority in that poll supported the continued legal protection of abortion.

Rather than asking Americans whether they support or oppose Roe v. Wade, Marist and KOC asked about the ideal outcome of a reconsideration of the Court's original ruling. The poll asked respondents, "Which comes closest to your view of what the Supreme Court should do when it reconsiders Roe v. Wade, the 1973 ruling making abortion illegal in the United States?"
Most Americans either wanted the Court to make abortion illegal (16 percent) or to "allow states to make certain restrictions" (49 percent). Both of these outcomes would effectively overturn Roe v. Wade

Yes indeed, that is the intellectually dishonest slight of hand at issue.
You were such a super lady... and I'm, I'm so lonely.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: Today at 12:06:45 AM »

I bet Dana Milbank won't refer to this conglomeration of candidates as a "clown car'.
LOL

This is not a clown car.

This is an entire Vaudvillian review!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: Today at 12:07:01 AM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: Today at 12:10:54 AM »

Which you didn't do.

Most Americans either wanted the Court to make abortion illegal (16 percent) or to "allow states to make certain restrictions" (49 percent). Both of these outcomes would effectively overturn Roe v. Wade

Yes indeed, that is the intellectually dishonest slight of hand at issue.
There is nothing intellectually dishonest about it at all.
The poll only reinforces Justice Ginsburg's oft repeated criticism of the Roe decision that " stopped the momentum on the side of  change".  She insists the better route was via the state legislatures AND the courts.
She is also troubled that the decision was focused on privacy rights rather than equal rights.
It is interesting that Ginsburg is an unabashed defender of abortion rights yet is disappointed over the decades of arguing about a decision she thought should have been left to the people.
The KOC poll seems to support her view.

« Last Edit: Today at 12:13:13 AM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565]