Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1936 1937 [1938] 1939 1940 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1600418 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29055 on: March 16, 2020, 10:30:40 AM »

I've spent my life being the opposite of a germophobe... our house was a menagerie when I was a kid - cats,  dogs,  rabbits,  hamsters - I would handle the creatures,  sometimes their turds,  and then go eat dinner.   Or I'd catch crawdads down at the creek,  handle them,  toss them back,  and then go eat dinner.   Handwashing was marginally enforced.   I generally avoided it.  Pebbles on the ground I'd pick up and suck on.   In the sixties,  in central KS,  there were no shots for childhood diseases except for polio and DPT, and the rest I succumbed to.   To this day,  I don't use hand sanitizer and am willing to eat stuff that's landed on a dirty floor or the ground.   And I am rarely sick,  often have minimal symptoms when there's a flu going round.   I know many people who tell a similar story - immune system health comes from growing up in intimate contact with the germ universe.   

That said,  I don't want to pass a nasty bug along to someone vulnerable, so I'm washing my hands after touching public surfaces and I've stopped using drinking fountains.   Not being a bottled water fan,  I'm now really thirsty when I get home.   No biggie.  When I go to the supermarket I grab a cart that's been sitting outside in the sun,  soaking up UV.   On a cloudy day,  I wipe down the handle with the towlettes all stores now provide.   Etc.

But here's what I see as the real looming health threat:  children growing up in weirdly antiseptic conditions, with helicopter parents pushing sanitizer at them,  and passing on germophobe memes 24/7.   When it's NOT a pandemic.   That approach will grow a generation that never develops it's immune system properly and will depend on vaccines for everything.   Here's an interesting hypothesis:  some infectious disease experts say that the reason "Spanish" Flu largely spared China in 1918 was because it actually came from China and herd immunity was strong there because the local populations had been in contact with various similar strains for centuries.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #29056 on: March 16, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/steve-hilton-dr-fauci-coronavirus-school-closures

"The question many are asking is... 'if kids don't get it -- if most people who get it are fine, why are we closing down America to fight it?"' Hilton asked.

"You need to answer the big question many Americans are asking. Instead of closing school, colleges, sports and other large gatherings for the general population, why don't we isolate the vulnerable population?"

Starting assumption w/ the above is that the virus stays as is.  Haven't heard anything about COVID but know in past outbreaks the virus was evaluated on its "stability" meaning its ability to transform into something more dangerous, either by how it is transmitted, or by combining with some other bug to be more infectious/deadly.

Maybe I've watched too many movies, or maybe its smart to play it safe, do everything possible to prevent the spread.  This isn't all a big conspiracy to tank the economy and make sure Trump loses in 2020.  So best listen to people that are smarter than you on this.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #29057 on: March 16, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »

"The question many are asking is... 'if kids don't get it -- if most people who get it are fine, why are we closing down America to fight it?"' Hilton asked.

"You need to answer the big question many Americans are asking. Instead of closing school, colleges, sports and other large gatherings for the general population, why don't we isolate the vulnerable population?"

Starting assumption w/ the above is that the virus stays as is.  Haven't heard anything about COVID but know in past outbreaks the virus was evaluated on its "stability" meaning its ability to transform into something more dangerous, either by how it is transmitted, or by combining with some other bug to be more infectious/deadly.

Maybe I've watched too many movies, or maybe its smart to play it safe, do everything possible to prevent the spread.  This isn't all a big conspiracy to tank the economy and make sure Trump loses in 2020.  So best listen to people that are smarter than you on this.

200 people died of the virus in Italy in one day.  That seems like an awfully high 24 hour death toll for something that can just be ridden out in the normal fashion.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29058 on: March 16, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »

I've spent my life being the opposite of a germophobe... our house was a menagerie when I was a kid - cats,  dogs,  rabbits,  hamsters - I would handle the creatures,  sometimes their turds,  and then go eat dinner.   Or I'd catch crawdads down at the creek,  handle them,  toss them back,  and then go eat dinner.   Handwashing was marginally enforced.   I generally avoided it.  Pebbles on the ground I'd pick up and suck on.   In the sixties,  in central KS,  there were no shots for childhood diseases except for polio and DPT, and the rest I succumbed to.   To this day,  I don't use hand sanitizer and am willing to eat stuff that's landed on a dirty floor or the ground.   And I am rarely sick,  often have minimal symptoms when there's a flu going round.   I know many people who tell a similar story - immune system health comes from growing up in intimate contact with the germ universe.   

That said,  I don't want to pass a nasty bug along to someone vulnerable, so I'm washing my hands after touching public surfaces and I've stopped using drinking fountains.   Not being a bottled water fan,  I'm now really thirsty when I get home.   No biggie.  When I go to the supermarket I grab a cart that's been sitting outside in the sun,  soaking up UV.   On a cloudy day,  I wipe down the handle with the towlettes all stores now provide.   Etc.

But here's what I see as the real looming health threat:  children growing up in weirdly antiseptic conditions, with helicopter parents pushing sanitizer at them,  and passing on germophobe memes 24/7.   When it's NOT a pandemic.   That approach will grow a generation that never develops it's immune system properly and will depend on vaccines for everything.   Here's an interesting hypothesis:  some infectious disease experts say that the reason "Spanish" Flu largely spared China in 1918 was because it actually came from China and herd immunity was strong there because the local populations had been in contact with various similar strains for centuries.

I think of how 8 grew up and germs were the last concern on my mind.
My grandmother had a saying,, “you’re gonna eat a peck of dirt before you die, so don’t worry about!”
Five second rule applied to food dropped on the ground or you could “Kiss it up to God!” as a last resort.

But now I hit the trifecta for being at risk; because of sarcoidosis, diabetes, heart disease I’m immuno suppressed.

My wife and I cancelled our dental appointments Friday because the waiting room is very small and close. I can wait on that cleaning.

Stay home.

I figure we have enough supplies to live comfortably for a couple weeks before we’re down to brown rice and black coffee.

Be careful.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29059 on: March 16, 2020, 11:20:35 AM »

Concerns arising of testing accuracy.  Patients testing negative and then having no further concern.

Exactly why the administration was hesitant to use the WHO tests.  Always best to develop your own - so any valleys can be dealt with - with first hand knowledge.

Just shut the fuck up.

ahhhh.......Larry......it's time to come TOGETHER, not be so pissed off and negative.

(I know this is tough, as that is your natural state)

If you were me you’d be pissed off, too.

The GOP has systematically destroyed everything that makes America great by leaning on racism, sexism xenophobia etc etc etc.

It ain’t like dismantling the federal government agencies and shrinking government to where it can be drowned in the bathtub would leave us vulnerable.

Fuck off.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29060 on: March 16, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »

Cuomo taking huge measures in NY

Why not sooner?

Or is this not a fair question?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29061 on: March 16, 2020, 11:41:15 AM »

I definitley see Andrew Cuomo on the 2024 or 2028 ballot for the Presidency.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29062 on: March 16, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »

200 people died of the virus in Italy in one day.  That seems like an awfully high 24 hour death toll for something that can just be ridden out in the normal fashion.

Many of Italy's citizens went to China for Chinese New Year and there was no travel ban in place at the time.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29063 on: March 16, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »

Why not sooner?

Or is this not a fair question?

Usually in a worldwide outbreak such as this the leadership and direction should come from the top... of the nation.

That governors are more proactive than the President is an indictment.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29064 on: March 16, 2020, 11:52:02 AM »

Concerns arising of testing accuracy.  Patients testing negative and then having no further concern.

Exactly why the administration was hesitant to use the WHO tests.  Always best to develop your own - so any valleys can be dealt with - with first hand knowledge.

Just shut the fuck up.

ahhhh.......Larry......it's time to come TOGETHER, not be so pissed off and negative.

(I know this is tough, as that is your natural state)

If you were me you’d be pissed off, too.

The GOP has systematically destroyed everything that makes America great by leaning on racism, sexism xenophobia etc etc etc.

It ain’t like dismantling the federal government agencies and shrinking government to where it can be drowned in the bathtub would leave us vulnerable.

Fuck off.

If you have been paying the least bit of attention, you would rightly be pissed as hell.

Self-deluded morons are being affected no matter what they post here.

Quite.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29065 on: March 16, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »

In this way, President Trump’s address to the nation was doomed to fail. It was delivered by a president who ignores inconvenient truths, disdains expertise, views events solely through the lens of his political interests, and fails to look beyond the news cycle. This dynamic has been exacerbated by an information flow into and out of the White House that reflects Trump’s worst instincts—his desire to be flattered and his deafness to any form of criticism. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/white-house-set-fail/607960/

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29066 on: March 16, 2020, 11:58:43 AM »

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #29067 on: March 16, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »

Why not sooner?

Declaration of Emergency came three days ago.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #29068 on: March 16, 2020, 12:02:44 PM »

Many of Italy's citizens went to China for Chinese New Year and there was no travel ban in place at the time.

Chinese New Year was 2 months ago.  To the degree that this was responsible for the outbreak in Italy, its old news.

The outbreak in the US is closely mirroring the early days of the Italy outbreak.  And in that country 200 people died in one day.  This suggests to me that it is not only an issue for the old and unhealthy, and that we are overreacting by implementing larger shutdowns.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29069 on: March 16, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »

(Or as somebody mentioned last night, "Great - they have the candidates 6 feet apart. Why are the moderators sitting together?!")
None of the moderators were septuagenarians.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.
Pages: 1 ... 1936 1937 [1938] 1939 1940 ... 4288