Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Who do you think will be the next senator from Arizona?

McSally
- 4 (36.4%)
Sinema
- 7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: November 24, 2018, 07:55:14 PM

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470]

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 43400 times)

Barton

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #7035 on: Today at 09:25:42 AM »

Larry,  Boswell,

Somehow Bing and Doris singing about a cold weather seduction didn't go to the level of statues of slavers or racist stereotyped speedy rodents.   While the song may not age well,  it doesn't seem worth banning from a radio station that I presume plays lots of oldies.   The subtext of date rape strikes me as a subtext imposed from the present and not actually about Bing preparing to administer a roofie and commit rape.   

Just saying, at some point we have to decide we're not a society where everyone scrutinizes everything people say or every work of art for possible offense.   That would be a society of Orwellian grimness and historical blindness.   
« Last Edit: Today at 09:27:13 AM by Barton »
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: Today at 09:57:32 AM »

So a 74 years old song( Oscar winner to boot) Baby It’s Cold Outside now somehow  promotes “ date rape” to some in the @# metoo crowd?
In the PC world running amok is the only way to run.

I’m ok with people “running amok” when the intention is to combat sexism, sexual harassment, and assault.  However that effort may overreach, I can live with that.

I cannot live with politicians whose running amok entails criminal actions that are only part of their efforts to weaken our Democracy so that they may be elected with the purpose of further self-enrichment and corrupt alignment of what was once a beacon for good in the world with the likes of Russia and Saudi-Arabia.  That is the kind of running amok that concerns me.  Partly, but not only because, the leader of that effort is himself a confessed sexual assaulter.

I can understand why, for purely partisan reasons, your priorities are different.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: Today at 09:58:35 AM »

I personally find gripes about "Baby, It's Cold Outside" to be just plain silly and I don't even like the song. 
Well, he don't like the young folks I know. He told me one night on his radio show. He's got him a medal he won in the war. It weighs five-hundred pounds and it sleeps on his floor.
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470]