Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1957 1958 [1959] 1960 1961 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1600788 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29370 on: March 20, 2020, 01:09:09 AM »

"The virus CAN be beaten - and it appears in some cases that is happening"

-  Tucker Carlson

Again, duh, Kid.

It doesn't have a 100% mortality rate or even a 40% mortality rate. The worst of the predictions runs about 10,000,000 dead. LOTS of people will have beaten it.

It's still not good and your pretending that it is is beyond stupid.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29371 on: March 20, 2020, 01:10:16 AM »

https://fortune.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-trump-states-governors-medical-supplies-fema/?fbclid=IwAR3z8lHIlBtYgtXxKluLlFt3c2uyCdgF4hi_NlDdYYQQ4Nyc6MiiU2-ZK_0

The president told the governors to get their own supplies, as our government wasn't there to do that.

Then he outbid them for the supplies they sought.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29372 on: March 20, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »

By the way, Kid, for us to get to that 99.3% survival rate, if we had 0 more deaths, we would need 16,646 more cases to be new and then all survive. For every 7 deaths, we would need 1000 more cases beyond that 16k+ figure. So, 224 cases would mean 17,646 extras (a total of 32,000).

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29373 on: March 20, 2020, 01:25:32 AM »

Meanwhile, in Connecticut:

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29374 on: March 20, 2020, 01:55:38 AM »

As an example, he pointed out that under Mr. Bush, the Middle East directorate of the NSC included all of the Arabic-speaking countries including North African countries. After he left, under Mr. Obama, the Africa directorate absorbed the North African countries, but by the time he returned in 2017, Anton said that "the Middle East directorate, even though it lost countries…was much larger."

It must be challenging living a context free life.

Gee, what might have changed in the Arab world during the Obama Era?!?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29375 on: March 20, 2020, 02:11:36 AM »

BTW, if the US is going to do the voluntary lockdown and isolation approach, it will be for a shorter duration if the measures are fairly strict and well-organized, and people comply.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29376 on: March 20, 2020, 02:32:28 AM »

Not sure why the old standard anti-malarial drug chloroquine would stop the virus.  I took that in Africa 30 years ago.  It's since been supplanted by other anti-malarial drugs, partly because some strains of malaria were developing resistance to chloroquine.  I'm not sure the mechanism by which it works to stop blood parasites is well understood.

Lots of drug companies are hoping that their various drugs intended for other uses can show some effectiveness v. this new SARS virus.  A lot of money to be made even if the benefits aren't great, if your drug becomes the new standard until a vaccine is ready next year.

I'm reading Christ Stopped at Eboli.  The memoirs of a trained physician who was exiled to the poor south of Italy by the fascists during the 1930's.  Malaria is rife in these small mountain villages, people are poor, the health care system barely there, and the authorities a bunch of blowhard authoritarians.  More relevance than one might expect.  The writing and observations are quite good. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:01:12 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29377 on: March 20, 2020, 04:31:55 AM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/19/trump-economy-coronavirus-democrats-136462

The nation’s leaders drive the gibbering imposter puppet kicking and screaming towards good policy.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29378 on: March 20, 2020, 08:07:55 AM »

”The Trump party line swaps new lies for old. Whereas once the ideological enforcers called concern over the virus a hoax, now they say that it’s a hoax to remember they said it was a hoax.

By revving up hate among their supporters against China, Trump and Fox can redirect those supporters’ rage from the dangerous target it might otherwise find: the trusted political and media figures who lied and lied and lied to them, exposing those supporters to disease and death for their own crass ends. Hate China, not me!”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/trumps-dangerous-party-line/608383/?utm_medium=social&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2020-03-19T18%3A29%3A49&utm_source=facebook
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29379 on: March 20, 2020, 10:26:27 AM »

BTW, if the US is going to do the voluntary lockdown and isolation approach, it will be for a shorter duration if the measures are fairly strict and well-organized, and people comply.

How short - and how do you arrive at this conclusion?

Moderator still has 10 million US dying. Why shouldn't we believe him?

barton

« Reply #29380 on: March 20, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warner/the-sober-math-everyone-must-understand-about-the-pandemic-2b0145881993

A math mind shares some really useful info on why doing everything now makes more sense than waiting.   Exponential growth refresher may be helpful for some.   Doubling every three days.   (technically,  that's geometric growth,  which is what we bio folk call it when it's a discrete domain with constant intervals)  The feds could use more Jason Warners.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29381 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:33 AM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29382 on: March 20, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »

How short - and how do you arrive at this conclusion?

All I can base things on are my experiences in China and what I read about South Korea, Japan, Singapore, HK, etc.  An 8 week lockdown, with most places closed, masks worn by everyone in public, temp checks, testing and contact tracing has worked effectively, so far, in Shanghai and most of these other Asian areas hit early by the virus.  Doesn't mean a 2nd wave of infection or that small or large outbreaks can't still occur.  But this week (Week 9), we've been given the Almost Clear sign and most of us are scurrying out of our dens.

With good prophylaxis and compliance, 6-10 weeks of social/economic disruption and self-isolation should do the trick.  Hopefully the school and sports closures and deaths, and the lockdowns will encourage or force Americans to comply.  A high compliance rate is critical.

Unfortunately the number of test-confirmed cases in the US is very low since testing is only beginning to be ramped up (very late in the spread), so I think US folks have had a false sense of security. Multiply the official US case tallies by at least a factor of 10 to have a more realistic idea of the true number of infections. 

I'd note a key response difference is the use of masks. In Shanghai/China, everyone you see is wearing a surgical mask or heavier-duty masks in public, and it jolts you and forces you to take it seriously. 
If my 10x (or more) the number of reported Americans are infected that's a lot of infected folks walking around undetected who should be wearing masks (and you should be wearing masks to protect against).

And if you don't believe me about the true number of cases, NY just doubled its confirmed cases as a result of more testing.  One US health official said to multiply the official numbers by 5-10 times, which I thought was very conservative.  A health official in Ohio estimated there might be 50k cases in that state already!  I can source that info if anyone wants.  I think my 10x the official count estimation is likely too low, but at least gets you in the right ballpark.

Hope I'm wrong, but it's possible the large spreads in Europe v. the relative containment in Asia are related to mask wearing.  Yes, the aging population in Europe doesn't help, but Japan has the very oldest population.  Then there's the social convention of air kiss greetings and even handshakes in Euroland.  And Asian conformity likely comes in handy when dealing with an epidemic.  But face masks are one of the big differences between eastern and western precautions.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:10:33 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #29383 on: March 20, 2020, 12:50:23 PM »

One French study, I see.   When Zithromax combined with chloroquinine.   Possibly could help knock down secondary infection in the lungs.   Not a magic bullet,  but more clinical testing may be worthwhile. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:51:55 PM by barton »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29384 on: March 20, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »

And if you don't believe me about the true number of cases, NY just doubled its confirmed cases as a result of more testing.  One US health official said to multiply the official numbers by 5-10 times, which I thought was very conservative.  A health official in Ohio estimated there might be 50k cases in that state already!  I can source that info if anyone wants.  I think my 10x the official count estimation is likely too low, but at least gets you in the right ballpark.

Beieve YOU?   I live here.  And it doesnt take any special qualifications for the math efficiency of more tests = more positives.

I have no idea what you mean by 5x or 10x but the moderator thinks ten million US will die.
Pages: 1 ... 1957 1958 [1959] 1960 1961 ... 4288