Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1963 1964 [1965] 1966 1967 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1596515 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29460 on: March 21, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »

Hope you read the chloraquine article, bart.  I think you'd like it.

For malaria treatment you just take chloraquine for 4 days.  I think they repped it as 2-2-2-1 when i lived in Kenya.  But the pills I had were twice the dose of the ones sold in Kenya, so for me it was 1-1-1-1/2.  Also chloraquine has a fairly harsh bitter taste.  I was fortunate that when I got a year's supply in the US, to be taken once a week prophylactically, mine were candy coated.

Chloraquine now is used off-label for arthritis and lupus.  And long term usage (like years or decades) apparently can cause retinal damage.  Short-term it was taken for decades as an anti-malarial, and is quite safe.  Though they have to check on the dosages.

But the main issue is whether chloraquine can work as an anti-viral against this disease.  And of course it's most useful if it can help those who have serious symptoms/cases.

They really don't know how chloraquine or other quinine related compounds defeat the plasmodium parasite that causes malaria.  Or how it helps arthritis or lupus.  One theory is it blocks a receptor that viruses use to access cells.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29461 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »

Yet rather than be excited about the prospects of this drug helping in the fight against COVID-19, Bo -  moderator and his cronies throw cold water on the prospects and degrade any medical personnel promoting its study/use

Seriously sick.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #29462 on: March 21, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »

Sanctimonious Kid is the best Kid.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29465 on: March 21, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »

Game changer
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/nj-man-with-suspected-case-of-coronavirus-says-anti-malaria-drug-is-helping-him-recover.html

Well, that was extremely vague.
It's not even clear if he has covid.
Or what other drugs he was taking.
He's getting better and personally attributing it to the chloraquine.
Not even a quote from his doctor or any other health care professional for their opinion.

Along with that fluff piece on the NJ chief medical lady, nj.com seems pretty shallow and not much on hard news.

Otherwise, I offered no opinion on whether chloraquine could be helpful or not.  Just provided what i know about it and a little of what I've read.
Any medicine that offers benefits until a vaccine is ready could be an important stopgap.  But trials are needed before widespread deployment, instead of anecdotal evidence from some patients.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #29466 on: March 21, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »

Glad everyone  here had basic science in school and understands the foundational principle of all medical sciences that "anecdote is not evidence."

That's why it's not pouring cold water when every pharma and medical organization in the world conducts clinical trials to see if,  and how,  a treatment works.   

If people want to drink tonic water by the gallon while they await results, it probably won't hurt them.   The British found that adding gin made it more palatable.   Though it's less hydrating that way.   I've been familiar with the history of quinine and it's derivatives since having a babysitter (I was around age 9) who'd been in the Peace Corps and always brought quinine water to the house.   Also from hearing from my parents about friends and relatives who returned from the Pacific in WW2 looking yellow after they'd had to take Atebrine.   (that sciencemag blog was great)

I have not once said that quinine derivatives couldn't prove to be helpful.   But before an anti-malarial with strong side effects is widely administered,  it needs to be clinically tested.   That's not "pouring cold water, " as El Sanctimonio suggested,  that's how medical science has worked,  and worked well,  for the past couple centuries.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #29467 on: March 21, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »

Some people say that the scientists at NASA cannot help on this corona crisis, but I say that smart people from any field can help.

We can all multi-task, and I have had jobs where I have had to wear many hats, smart people are smart, regardless of where they focus their energy.

And for instance, we have Ben Carson, who is a brain surgeon, working at Housing and Urban Development. Smart people can multi-task.

If we get all of our smartest people, from a variety of fields, to focus their energy on making it through this crisis, then we are going to make progress and beat this disease.

And look at Ben Franklin, he wore a lot of hats, smart people are smart and can multi-task.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:13:19 PM by FlyingVProd »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29468 on: March 21, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »

That's why it's not pouring cold water when every pharma and medical organization in the world conducts clinical trials to see if,  and how,  a treatment works.   

Clinical trials = using the drug.  Fausci did not actually contradict Trump, as many like to paint it.

The patient in the article i linked to is part of the overall study -a s they see the effects on his symptoms.

The drug is being used - that is the important thing - not being held up by any red tape.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29469 on: March 21, 2020, 01:33:33 PM »

Bo - stay centered.  Lets not lose you to the pessimist masses.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29470 on: March 21, 2020, 01:46:29 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29471 on: March 21, 2020, 02:07:22 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnn-trump-peddles-unsubstantiated-hope-coronavirus

"British prime minister peddles unsubstantiated hope in dark times," The Hill's Joe Concha quipped, sharing an image of World War II-era British leader Winston Churchill.

https://twitter.com/JoeConchaTV/status/1241116380361097226

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29472 on: March 21, 2020, 02:52:13 PM »

But before an anti-malarial with strong side effects is widely administered,  it needs to be clinically tested.   

Chloraquine has been used widely for decades.
It doesn't have strong side effects.  For short term usage such as malaria treatment and a viral flu, side effects are of limited to no concern.  Though there could be some if the dosage needs to be significantly increased.

But this is a proven safe medicine used by millions as an anti-malarial and more recently for arthritis and lupus.  Arthritis is a chronic condition requiring longterm drug usage, and apparently chloraquine can have some detrimental retinal effects after very long term usage.

The drug is being used - that is the important thing - not being held up by any red tape.

It's an approved drug, so off label uses can be prescribed.
No red tape because it is proven safe already.
Efficacy in regard to the coronavirus is speculative at this point but worth investigating in an orderly scientific way.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29473 on: March 21, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »

Anything that keeps the trump body count from heading straight to the mountain of corpses it’s “conservative” elements are hell bent on creating through their lies, incompetence and corruption is a good thing.

Republicans still don’t know how to deliver medical supplies where needed or give any credible information to the public.

Thank God for the free press.

Fox needs to quarantine itself out of existence for the good of its viewers and their communities.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29474 on: March 21, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »

“It is your patriotic duty to not use a mask,” says Oz. “We don’t have enough of them.”
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1963 1964 [1965] 1966 1967 ... 4288