Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1999 2000 [2001] 2002 2003 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1602132 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30000 on: March 27, 2020, 12:16:38 PM »

When the economy was in freefall after the Bush Crash, the Recovery Act, Obama's stimulus measure passed 246-183 in the House without a single Republican vote  the Senate by a vote of 60-38 with all Democrats and only three Republicans in support.

Obama was unable to get the amount over $1T which is what many advisers were calling for (roughly $1.2T).  Obama had to reduce the bill to under $800B in order to get the necessary GOP support to break a threatened filibuster, and was forced to include fairly useless tax breaks as over 1/3 of the bill.  McConnell led the opposition to the stimulus bill.  And most GOPers derided the notion that Gov't spending could resuscitate the economy and denied that govt money could have a multiplier effect.

That was how bipartisan the GOP was in an emergency when there was a DEM president (and the GOP crashed the economy).  Flash forward to today and you get unanimous votes in the Senate and just one jackass GOP thwarting things in the House.

See my post on this yesterday.

As I said, if the President was a Democrat (not to mention a Democrat facing election in 8 months) this bill doesn't happen. 

And when a Democrat is elected in November, Republicans will want all spending stopped because "deficits," even if the economy had not yet recovered at that point.

Fed quantitative easing program will get up to $1.5 Trillion.  Anyone remember what Republicans said when it was $600 Billion total under Obama?  I do.  They called it "cheating" "artificially floating the economy" and "political."   

You can't escape the conclusion that Republicans did what they could to tank the economy under Obama because they thought it helped them politically.  No matter the pain to ordinary Americans.
Red got a tax cut.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30001 on: March 27, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »

Lisa Ling, ABC

"The Chinese government's actions after discovering the virus are INDEFENSIBLE."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30002 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »

If I missed any good links, my apologies.

This set of links provides a rosier outlook/projection than my most pessimistic numbers, positing total deaths in the US of a bit over 81,000. It looks at beds, ICU beds, and ventilator needs, shows what the shortages are, and also shows the range of each of those figures - as few deaths as 39,000 and as many as 162,000, if I am reading the graph correctly. Still more optimistic than my worst case scenarios, but see my comment below on their key assumption.

The first link is the visual display of the projections:
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections?fbclid=IwAR0XnjBroFK4yNyIP6_s6ga5GSWhnB_y6gwfZmNj9xca5qfI_KL3WPrIGmg

The second link is the associated text with that display, including some of the methodology underlying it. I still don't understand some of their conclusions (like the April 14th peak for resource use, aligning with the "three weeks" mentioned 3 days ago), but it's more concrete to this mathhead than it was. The biggest problem with it, IMO, is "The projections assume the continuation of strong social distancing measures and other protective measures." I don't think that is a safe assumption. Regardless, here is the information:
http://www.healthdata.org/research-article/forecasting-covid-19-impact-hospital-bed-days-icu-days-ventilator-days-and-deaths

The third link provides a state by state projection, from the same source. (To select an individual state, click on Interact with the data visualization and a new window will open.)
http://www.healthdata.org/data-visualization/covid-19-us-state-state-projections
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30003 on: March 27, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »

Who says it's bogus, Ward?

EVERYBODY who cares about the truth:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/politics/fact-check-trump-coronavirus-briefing/index.html
The TDS has ruined the democrat party and what little credibility you have. But keep us up to date on CNN reporting. That stopped clock, by comparison, may win a Pulitzer!
LOL!

The King of Lack of Credibility has spoken.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30004 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »

Lisa Ling, ABC
"The Chinese government's actions after discovering the virus are INDEFENSIBLE."

Probably why nobody is defending it.

Next ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30005 on: March 27, 2020, 12:50:09 PM »

Decisive and unnecessary measures being taken at NY hospitals with PPE

There is "enough PPE for now", says Andrew Cuomo, hospital asdministrators, doctors,...

Yet....

we hear of

1)  re-use  (through sterilization)
2)  rationing (not changing for each patient)

of these products

Who is responsible for having made these decisions - while ENOUGH product is available now to go through usual and proper protocol?  Did Mr Kelly die needlessly?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30006 on: March 27, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »

Why don't you do some research instead of just speculating?

And why get caught up in one case, or anecdotes, when the big picture is much more important.

Feels like you're distracting and wasting our time on purpose.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30007 on: March 27, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/politics/fact-check-trump-coronavirus-briefing/index.html
The TDS has ruined the democrat party and what little credibility you have. But keep us up to date on CNN reporting. That stopped clock, by comparison, may win a Pulitzer!
LOL!

Which is a more useless cliche? ________ Derangement Syndrome or."stopped.clock"? Our resident.sea lion is utterly devoid of any originality. Among many, many other things.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

barton

« Reply #30008 on: March 27, 2020, 02:58:44 PM »

Josh,  thanks much for reposting the hospital needs projections and related figures.   I was not expecting that.   Very kind of you.   

I think one has to take many projections based on full societal cooperation (social distance,  using all protective measures,  etc) as aspirational more than accurate.  American culture has many who go a little "rogue" on limits to personal freedom... I had this guy,  when I was grocery shopping,  come up and stand about three inches away from me in spite of massive signage on keeping two carts distance from other patrons.      I said "oookay" and moved on.   I don't think he really had a clue,  he was just wanting to look at the same cheeses I was.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30009 on: March 27, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »

Josh,  thanks much for reposting the hospital needs projections and related figures.   I was not expecting that.   Very kind of you.   

I think one has to take many projections based on full societal cooperation (social distance,  using all protective measures,  etc) as aspirational more than accurate.  American culture has many who go a little "rogue" on limits to personal freedom... I had this guy,  when I was grocery shopping,  come up and stand about three inches away from me in spite of massive signage on keeping two carts distance from other patrons.      I said "oookay" and moved on.   I don't think he really had a clue,  he was just wanting to look at the same cheeses I was.

"Aspirational" was the term both Dr. Fauci and VP Pence used to talk about the Easter goal the president has put forth (among other people with similarly little clue). They are very generous toward him. (Kid, OTOH, swallowed it whole.)
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/03/27/pence-trump-aspirational-comment-cnbc-orig-vstop-bdk.cnn

I think for some of the states in that link the projections might even be somewhat accurate, But for others, I think they are blatantly off. We will be able to see somewhat how off they are almost immediately - a day or two, even.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:38:03 PM by josh »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30010 on: March 27, 2020, 03:03:10 PM »

Interesting

13% less hospital beds in NYC due to expansion of Medicaid.

barton

« Reply #30011 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:44 PM »

LOL!

Which is a more useless cliche? ________ Derangement Syndrome or."stopped.clock"? Our resident.sea lion is utterly devoid of any originality. Among many, many other things.

When he self-applies "stopped clock" I will consider that cliche useful.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #30012 on: March 27, 2020, 03:18:54 PM »

Interesting

13% less hospital beds in NYC due to expansion of Medicaid.

Anyone want to guess where kiidcarter8 got that bullshit stat?  I'm thinking Fox News.

Outside of the fact that it is the same bullshit "people getting access to medical care is actually bad" propaganda that conservatives routinely push, I've seen studies that show that states that have not expanded Medicaid have seen a higher rate of hospital closures.

So exactly how many beds would have been available without said expansion is a guess, with no credible person presenting that as a factually stat.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30013 on: March 27, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »

LOL!

Which is a more useless cliche? ________ Derangement Syndrome or."stopped.clock"?
LOL!

barton

« Reply #30014 on: March 27, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »

When a real analysis of Medicaid expansion  is done,  it usually shows that hospital stays drop,  because fewer people have to "manage by crisis " their health.   
Pages: 1 ... 1999 2000 [2001] 2002 2003 ... 4288