Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2002 2003 [2004] 2005 2006 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584211 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30045 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »

Hillary Clinton on Twitter  regarding President Trump when US coronavirus cases topped 100,000

He did promise "America First."
Twitter responses were, to put it mildly, not kind to her.
Please keep talking because you’re the greatest political gift any Republican could ever hope for. 

"I'd tell her go to hell but I think she is already there"

-  Gutfeld

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30046 on: March 27, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

Robert Reich: The System: Who Rigged It, How We Fix It
https://robertreich.org/

In the post-WWII era, American capitalism assumed that large corporations had responsibilities to all their stakeholders. CEOs of that era saw themselves as “corporate statesmen” responsible for the common good.

But by the 1980s, shareholder capitalism (which focuses on maximizing profits) replaced stakeholder capitalism.

The whole long article is worth reading.  The book too I imagine.

Yep, companies sold us out.  He blames the corporate raiders of the 80's which coincided with the Reagan Rev which preached corporations could do now wrong.
And globalization killed any connection of corps to communities.  Companies chase low wages and lax regulations, so they can do as they want and make huge profits. Of course, we're left with a dysfunctional society.  With lots of folks with no hopes of moving up the ladder.  No hope for the future being better.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30047 on: March 27, 2020, 06:29:59 PM »

I like Hillary's tart wit.

Heh

She stole the joke.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30048 on: March 27, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »

And one thing is she doesn't tolerate incompetence.
It’s not too late to dump Joe for Hillary.

When is Joe's town hall on corona virus, sponsored by CNN?

And why again is he having this?  Does he hold a current position?  No?  Anyone?  Class?  Buehler?

bodiddley

• View Profile
Do Germs Come From Germany?
« Reply #30049 on: March 27, 2020, 06:33:12 PM »

What passes for humor on the Right is kind of creepy.

Or it's kind of creepy the extreme lack of humor on the Right. 

Often i think they're too busy trying to score points and deliver a hit that the actual funny part of attempts at humor are missing.

There was an article about Trump at the Correspondents Dinner and how he changed all the jokes so they were just attacks with the punch lines excised.
I think it's the German problem.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30050 on: March 27, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »

When is Joe's town hall on corona virus, sponsored by CNN?
And why again is he having this?  Does he hold a current position?  No?  Anyone?  Class?  Buehler?

Uh, he's running for president and there's a national emergency.
And the current president is fucking things up badly.
Biden wants to show that competent and science-based leadership is possible and much better.
You know, so folks will vote for him.
This isn't too complicated.

So the networks can stick with two hours of trump rambling and trusting his gut and his feelings about the virus, but a sober and reasoned counter form the opposition is treated with disdain.  Actually the Brits have a long tradition of shadow gov'ts and shadow ministers, and make clear their approach to issues.

What's unclear is why I'm bothering to respond to your disingenuous crud.
Just more diversions and caviling.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #30051 on: March 27, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »

https://youtu.be/AnZ_5cm5eXA

Jonathan Pie (the roving reporter alter ego of comedian Tom Walker)  goes on lockdown.   A couple lines maybe NSFW.   funny stuff.    I liked the line about IT guys.
But is it NSFWFH?

Based on the video,  I assume the W stands for wanking.

I liked the DEFCON system for Pie's various grades of TP.  And pretty much everything else.   How have I missed this guy?   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30052 on: March 27, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »

And one thing is she doesn't tolerate incompetence.
It’s not too late to dump Joe for Hillary.

Long past time to dump trump and pence.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30053 on: March 27, 2020, 07:06:48 PM »

Hillary Clinton on Twitter  regarding President Trump when US coronavirus cases topped 100,000

He did promise "America First."
Twitter responses were, to put it mildly, not kind to her.
Please keep talking because you’re the greatest political gift any Republican could ever hope for. 

Twitter responses to *any* politician are not kind to the initial poster, as far as I can tell. Not even the responses that agree with them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30054 on: March 27, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/general-motors-ventilators-defense-production-act/index.html

And had he done that a month ago, a ton more of them would have been ready when they were needed.

You know companies HAVE been working on the ventillator shortage, right?  Even without use of the DPA?

Just checking.

You know that not enough of them are being made, don't you, Kid?

That that's why Trump has had to belatedly force GM to act?

Just checking.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30055 on: March 27, 2020, 07:15:33 PM »

https://www.alternet.org/2020/03/michigan-governor-says-vendors-have-been-told-not-to-send-stuff-to-her-state-after-trump-bashed-her/?fbclid=IwAR111-zBiZDkjRp0RUETbwQ1DNWuD1lllvQ9taDFy1VHzRL4YyyhrAjudWc#.Xn5R_hHLzHM.facebook

No reason to think that she is lying, unless you are a feckless, die-hard Trump supporter (who lies about being a die-hard Trump supporter, like Kid).

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30056 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/media/trish-regan-fox-news/index.html

Trish Regan dismissed the coronavirus issue as just an impeachment scam.

Fox Business Network dismissed Trish Regan.

Funny, her argument sounds a ton like Ward's.

barton

« Reply #30057 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »

In the post-WWII era, American capitalism assumed that large corporations had responsibilities to all their stakeholders. CEOs of that era saw themselves as “corporate statesmen” responsible for the common good.

But by the 1980s, shareholder capitalism (which focuses on maximizing profits) replaced stakeholder capitalism.

For a couple decades,  I've been saying the Francis Fukuyama is wrong (the guy with the rosy view of the societal path that always leads to liberal democracy - he wrote The End of History) and that stakeholder capitalism regulated in a liberal democracy will inevitably degenerate into shareholder capitalism of the most predatory and destructive  kind, run by oligarchs.  Sounds like Reich has paid careful attention to this degeneration. 

It's weird how both Marxist collectivism and liberal democracy devolve into oligarchy.   Possibly because both started with noble principles that don't objectively exist out there in the natural world.   They depend on good will and imagination.  Once predatory capitalism disrupts either of those systems,  it simply pushes everything else out,  and profit becomes the single "natural" principle that drives an ecosystem of greed and spiritually empty consumption.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30058 on: March 27, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e7cfe6cc5b6cb08a92a52b8

More to support that idea in the new relief package.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30059 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:46 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/politics/general-motors-ventilators-defense-production-act/index.html

And had he done that a month ago, a ton more of them would have been ready when they were needed.

You know companies HAVE been working on the ventillator shortage, right?  Even without use of the DPA?

Just checking.

You know that not enough of them are being made, don't you, Kid?

That that's why Trump has had to belatedly force GM to act?

Just checking.

GM was dragging their feet.  Others were complying

Have a good night
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 2002 2003 [2004] 2005 2006 ... 4288