Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2011 2012 [2013] 2014 2015 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595207 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30180 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:09 PM »

I don't have confidence in any of the statistical models to where I'd endorse one.   I was just pointing out how Fauci would have arrived at his figure.   He was going on  two percent of the total, using the much larger total.   Also keep in mind that his model may factor in a second wave,  which some models don't.  He is saying the higher figure is a worst case scenario,  where our healthcare system is utterly swamped.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30181 on: March 29, 2020, 01:14:37 PM »

Hate to tell you that once the virus is already fairly widespread, strict measures need to be put in place and enforced.  Still seems a lot of halfway measures and voluntary compliance in the US, including NJ, and I'm not sure any of this is going to be enough.
I'm not on the ground, so can't really evaluate, but what i'm hearing makes me nervous.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30182 on: March 29, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »

The numbers right now are 1.6% of REPORTED POSITIVES that have died (in the US - rising from earlier 1.3ish)

If you think 10 times more are currently infected - then that "dead" number falls to 0.16% at least for now

Comparing deaths to "reported positives" is not a useful number.

Deaths should be compared to recovered - combined in total closed cases.

We hope that the number of cases is 10 times the number of reported cases, but only because they are not experiencing much in the way of symptoms. If there are tons more who have the virus, but are not reporting from fear rather than from lack of symptoms, then we have a different level of problem to deal with.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30183 on: March 29, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »

Cuomo said other states got up 20% “that don’t even have coronavirus cases."

Hmmmm

What is Cuomo saying about these "other states"?

Does he have inside info that these states will not come into any danger from this virus?

Is this Cuomo the All Knowing rearing his head?  Careful, AC.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-29-20-intl-hnk/index.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30184 on: March 29, 2020, 02:54:38 PM »

China's deaths vs. their total recovered is about 4.1% of their total closed cases.
For the US, those figures result in a gross rate of 35%.
Italy is at a grosser rate of 45% of closed cases ending in death.

That figure has been climbing for the world, after shrinking for weeks. On March 7th, it was down to 5.64%. Going into today, it's 17.86%, the highest it's been since Feb 11.

On January 27th, the world had 4,415 active cases.
On March 9th, there were 46,000 active cases.
On March 28th, there were 490,000 active cases.

Or if you prefer:
On January 27th, there had been 106 deaths.
On March 9th, there had been 4,025 deaths.
On March 28th, there had been ~31,000 deaths.

Deaths initially climbed faster than active cases, but have since slowed down.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30186 on: March 29, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »

Good piece on Europe, China, numbers real and reported and moving forward

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/faulty-tests-propaganda-recriminations-china-093833205.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30187 on: March 29, 2020, 03:45:28 PM »

Trump yet again plans to violate the law:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/trump-congress-coronavirus-relief-oversight-152560

Kid and Ward remain silent about it, while pretending others are cowards or need to grow up.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30188 on: March 29, 2020, 04:06:51 PM »

Between the uninsured, the undocumented, those who shun institutions, and those who avoid medical attention for financial reasons, we have a nation within the nation about twice as populous as Italy with no healthcare system within which the virus will incubate and evolve indefinitely and will likely be the source of secondary and tertiary outbreaks.

We are in a middle of a prime example of how having huge holes in your health care system (welcome to Hell, Dr. No) can be far more expensive than just covering everyone all the time. You have to point this out republicans because they can’t process arguments based in any way on valuing human life.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30189 on: March 29, 2020, 05:00:06 PM »

"Whenever the models come in, they give a worst-case scenario and a best-case scenario. Generally, the reality is somewhere in the middle. I've never seen a model of the diseases that I've dealt with where the worst case actually came out. They always overshoot," Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House's coronavirus task force, told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

"I mean, looking at what we're seeing now, you know, I would say between 100 and 200,000 (deaths). But I don't want to be held to that," he said, adding that the US is going to have "millions of cases."

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30190 on: March 29, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »

"I mean, looking at what we're seeing now, you know, I would say between 100 and 200,000 (deaths). But I don't want to be held to that," he said, adding that the US is going to have "millions of cases."

Well, like I said - at the current pace we would need to have 6 million cases to get to his numbers

Maybe we will.  Or maybe the death rate goes way up.  We shall see.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30191 on: March 29, 2020, 05:48:41 PM »

Trump and republican governors are ensuring we get at least 20-30 million cases on the low end. 

Trump is running on incompetence, red ink, and body bags in 2020 as the face of the deadly and repulsive republican brand.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30192 on: March 29, 2020, 06:00:07 PM »

Trump insinuates shenanigans happening with masks at NY hospitals.  Wants press to investigate.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30193 on: March 29, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »

About the existing drugs being tested to fight Covid-19.
An update from doctor heading up trials.

Physicians are using two drugs in combination— hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin,
which I’ll abbreviate HC and AZ—to treat patients with advanced Covid-19 symptoms. We use a regimen reported in a recent open-label trial in Marseille, France, which was updated March 26, and which doctors may modify in any given case.
For HC, two bodies of evidence support its potential in treating Covid-19: in vitro (test tube) studies and initial clinical reports from the field. After the 2002-03 global outbreak of SARS, a coronavirus related to the one that causes Covid-19, an in vitro study conducted by doctors from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified chloroquine (a relative of HC) as an attractive option for prevention and treatment. If added before the virus was introduced, the drug was highly effective in preventing cellular infection. Even later application markedly inhibited infection. Another contemporaneous study showed similar results. As for Covid, a Chinese study published March 9 showed HC has excellent in vitro effects. Other recent information suggests potential antiviral mechanisms of HC and chloroquine.

The bedrock of all infectious medicine, from developing treatments for specific infections to treating individual patients, is in vitro laboratory testing and patient trials. Covid-19 is no exception. Current laboratory data suggest that HC should work.
Clinical information has also emerged from Covid treatment. During the initial Chinese outbreak, Wuhan doctors observed that patients with lupus—a disease for which HC is a common treatment—did not seem to develop Covid-19. Of 178 hospital patients who tested positive, none had lupus and none were on HC. None of this Wuhan hospital’s dermatology department’s 80 lupus patients were infected with the novel coronavirus. The Wuhan doctors hypothesized that this may be due to long-term use of HC. They treated 20 Covid-19 patients with HC. Their result: “Clinical symptoms improve significantly in 1 to 2 days. After five days of chest CT examination, 19 cases showed significant absorption improvement.”

Second, consider AZ—the antibiotic marketed as Z-Pak—combined with HC. The French study showed that 57% of 14 Covid-19 patients receiving HC without AZ tested negative for the virus on a nasal swab on day six. But 100% of the six patients who received both HC and AZ tested negative on day six. Compare that with 16 infected patients at another hospital who didn’t receive either treatment: only 12% tested negative on day six. These are small samples, but significant.
The authors of the French study last week published the results of an additional 80 hospitalized patients receiving a combination of HC and AZ. By day eight of treatment, 93% showed a negative nasopharyngeal swab for the virus. “This allowed patients to rapidly be discharged from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days,” the authors write. “Other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold.” I agree.
What are the risks?
The World Health Organization lists both HC and AZ as essential medicines, “considered to be the most effective and safe to meet the most important needs in a health system.” These drugs have been in use for many years—HC since 1955 and AZ since 1988. Only the combination is new. For now it isn’t well understood why the mix is so effective.
The clinical information service Lexicomp lists the interaction between HC and AZ as Category B, which means the majority of patients require no special caution. Long-term HC use can have adverse effects. Chronic use can cause eye problems, Heartbeat arrhythmia is occasionally observed. Increased electrocardiogram tracking may be appropriate for patients at risk of the latter effect. Potential mental-health effects should be closely observed.

All drugs have side effects, and HC’s overall record is safe. Yes, this is an “off label” use. But that isn’t unusual, either. One study showed 21% of U.S. prescriptions were for off-label use.
These drugs are still needed to treat malaria, lupus and other diseases, which makes it important not to exhaust supplies treating Covid-19 patients. Yet this is a historic pandemic, and treatment with HC and AZ shows considerable promise. That is reason to increase supplies quickly.
What are the next steps?
New York state has started a large controlled clinical trial, and there are reports of others. Many believe that patients who can’t be in a trial should be allowed to decide, in consultation with a physician, whether to use this treatment. This is happening in some U.S. practices.
In a perfect world with unlimited supplies, any infected patient could receive treatment. With limited supplies, we should treat the sickest first and be strategic about it. We should consider this regimen for highly exposed people such as health-care workers and first responders. These heroes in the war against Covid-19 deserve protection.
Early treatment is always better, whether for cancer, diabetes or infection. The in vitro results, field experience and French trial suggest Covid-19 is no different. If this regimen’s promise is borne out by more data, and if supply is ramped up, then we can expand treatment.

For my entire career, I have taken a conservative approach to medicine. I don’t want to give false or premature hope. All of this is subject to further refinement as more information arrives. But likewise I can’t ignore the available evidence. This appears to be the best widely available option for treating Covid-19 and not merely easing the suffering from the disease. It would be irresponsible not to pursue this option aggressively.

Dr. Jeff Colyer is a practicing physician. He served as governor of Kansas, 2018-19.
His article appears in the Monday edition of the Wall Street Journal.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30194 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:12 PM »

Amen.
Pages: 1 ... 2011 2012 [2013] 2014 2015 ... 4288