Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2016 2017 [2018] 2019 2020 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584737 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30255 on: March 30, 2020, 03:11:38 PM »

In my hometown in NJ, someone broke into two first aid ambulances an stole their face masks.  Sad in so many ways.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30256 on: March 30, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »

More excellent progress

The hospital started recruiting donors from approximately 250 patients who have tested positive for COVID-19. Recruitment started as soon as the F.D.A. announced regulatory guidelines for the study last week, according to the statement.

“Convalescent serum therapy could be a vital treatment route because unfortunately there is relatively little to offer many patients except supportive care, and the ongoing clinical trials are going to take a while,” Dr. Eric Salazar, a physician scientist and principal investigator at the Methodist’s Research Institute, added in the statement. “We don’t have that much time.”

https://www.foxnews.com/science/coronavirus-pandemic-houston-hospital-plasma-transfusion

Last week, I linked the FDA permission for this having been given. But... you and I see things differently. I am glad they gave permission to start the experiment, and glad it's begun, but I don't see this as progress - it has the potential for progress, but that's all.

And in answer to your question about treatments, you can just read your post:
"(U)nfortunately there is relatively little to offer many patients except supportive care, and the ongoing clinical trials are going to take a while.”

One study, but uncontrolled, has already been completed:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763983

Cautious, small positives. We'll take any positives at all, but the most serious cases will need more help than this article suggests will come from this process.

Still, this is way early in the sequence of events to know what the promise truly is.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30257 on: March 30, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »

Beyond the anti-malarials and the treatments discussed so far today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/investing/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccines-drugs/index.html
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30258 on: March 30, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coronavirus/dr-birx-if-we-do-things-perfectly-we-could-see-100000-20000-deaths/2099426/

"White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx says that if the United States does everything perfectly, we could still expect to see 100,000-200,000 deaths from coronavirus."

At our current death to recovery rate (35%), that would be a mere ~285,000 - 570,000 cases. At the worldwide death to recovery rate (18%), that would be ~556,000 to 1,111,000 cases. For it to ultimately land on 1% mortality or 0.1% mortality, we'd need to see 10,000,000-20,000,000 cases or, for the lower rate, ten times that!

Me, I am hoping that we keep the total cases well below that 10,000,000 figure, let alone the 100 million figure, because I don't trust the death rate in the US to plummet down from 35% to 1% (let alone 0.1%).

And... I suspect Ambassador Dr. Birx would be among the first to tell you that there is no way in hell that we are going to do everything perfectly - we have already failed in that far too broadly!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30259 on: March 30, 2020, 03:50:50 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30260 on: March 30, 2020, 04:13:12 PM »

Dr Ashish Jha - asked about the projection of 100,000 dead:

"That's a (sigh) pretty high number and obviously I think we should do everything we can to lower that number - but that may be the reality - unless we really get on top of this thing"

On the new Abbot labs test about other locales, though it could be too late to help NY)asked

"I think this could be a game-changer - and I dont like to use that word lightly - but I LOVE this test - and if it turns out as good as it sounds - and if we can get this test out across the country in a week or two, I think it could make a BIG difference, ramping up testing, identifying who is sick and who is not"

Jha talking like 100K dead is more of a worst case.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30261 on: March 30, 2020, 04:20:46 PM »

So, Ward - as our resident originalist and defended of all things Constitutional, what do you think of the claims, in NH and now in TX, that "stay-at-home" orders are unconstitutional?!

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Texas-Supreme-Court-Harris-County-stay-at-home-15166758.php?utm_campaign=CMS+Sharing+Tools+%28Premium%29&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2gnRXo3C0i-Xs-gdj-VvjEO_yXTDhsoCUpwhLLO9Gt7ziPgkWajq7RD1Q
The Federal Government is restricted from national quarantines. The states not so much thanks to the 10th amendment and the Commerce Clause. on that basis I would says states have Constitutional authority.  At the state level public health safety seems to take precedence. Ohio postponed the democrat primary election citing the threat to health by the corona virus, basically ignoring a judge’s ruling to the contrary. Further the state’s rescheduled election will prohibit in person voting. And Ohio was among the first states to close non essential businesses, schools, etc.
I don’t know if Texas accords the state the same power in overseeing public health.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:25:18 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30262 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:18 PM »

See how the many approved for other use drugs do.  Run studies.  Try combos.  Chloraquine can be used both to treat malaria and as a prophylactic to prevent malaria infection.  So I'd be trying that in early stages of the virus and as a prophylactic.

It's BEING used.  I have been telling you.

At Hackensack Meridian Health 3/4 of the COVID patients are on some type of hydroxychloroquone plan.

And they are already beginning to use it with their staff as a prophylactic.

There has also been positive talk in Hackensack of a drug typically used to cure HIV and breast cancer.

This is a re-post from days back

https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/hiv-drugs-are-being-used-as-part-of-coronavirus-treatment/

“Chinese experts suggest to treat with medicine to slow the virus first. Don’t wait,” Cai said. “Definitely I would not be here today [without them].”

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30263 on: March 30, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »

February 28, 2020

“Now the Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs . . . They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over, they’ve been doing it since you got in. It’s all turning, they lost, it’s all turning. Think of it. Think of it. And this is their new hoax. But you know, we did something that’s been pretty amazing. We’re 15 people [cases of coronavirus infection] in this massive country. And because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that . . . we’ve lost nobody, and you wonder, the press is in hysteria mode.“

Earlier that day at a presser:

Trump said the virus could “maybe go away. We’ll see what happens. Nobody really knows... going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle – it will disappear.”

Yesterday he said,

“So you’re talking about 2.2 million deaths, 2.2 million people from this.. And so if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000 — it’s a horrible number, maybe even less — but to 100,000. So we have between 100 and 200,000, and we altogether have done a very good job.

But to point to up to 2.2 million deaths and maybe even beyond that, I’m feeling very good about what we did last week.”

Your boy is a lying, deflecting, shithead. Any supporting this shit stain is fucking idiot.

Stay well and be smart. Help destroy the Republican Party because they have proven, time and again, they only care about winning elections and robbing the nation's treasure. They don’t, and haven’t in more than fifty years, given a good god damn about governing.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30264 on: March 30, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »

So, Ward - as our resident originalist and defended of all things Constitutional, what do you think of the claims, in NH and now in TX, that "stay-at-home" orders are unconstitutional?!

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Texas-Supreme-Court-Harris-County-stay-at-home-15166758.php?utm_campaign=CMS+Sharing+Tools+%28Premium%29&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR2gnRXo3C0i-Xs-gdj-VvjEO_yXTDhsoCUpwhLLO9Gt7ziPgkWajq7RD1Q

What the fuck is wrong with white people?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:48:58 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30265 on: March 30, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »

On prone ventillation, clinical trials, etc - in Hackensack:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/coronavirus-patients-new-jersey-hydrocholoroquine-drug

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30266 on: March 30, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Columbus-based Battelle’s system that can decontaminate thousands of masks a day, according to a statement from the company.
Battelle on Sunday night said that the approval is for the use of the technology at “full capacity.”

Good news, Ward. Thank you.

But it is pretty funny your posting this immediately after complaining about the lack of source in mine.
My source was identified and its info quoted directly.

Since you can’t differentiate between identifying a source (you didn’t) and providing a location (you did), there is no reason to think you know anything about anything you try to express in a post.

Not knowing what most words mean does give reasonable explanation about how you can claim to believe much of the bullshit you post. Language acquisition during extreme old age and decrepitude is especially hard, but you should still try because knowing what words are and what they mean is the foundation of clear thinking. You could really use some clear thinking about now.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30267 on: March 30, 2020, 05:00:48 PM »

Dr Ashish Jha - asked about the projection of 100,000 dead:

"That's a (sigh) pretty high number and obviously I think we should do everything we can to lower that number - but that may be the reality - unless we really get on top of this thing"
Jha talking like 100K dead is more of a worst case.

"that may be the reality - unless we really get on top of this thing"

No, he is not suggesting it is a worst case scenario - he is suggesting it would require a best case scenario to avoid it.

Birx is suggesting that in a best case scenario, we may still end up there.

And Kid? We're not at the "really get on top of this thing" stage now and there is no appearance that we will be there any time soon.

We still have states without the orders they need to control their case load's growth. NY may be getting where it needs to go, but anticipates leveling out in weeks, possibly. Louisiana is nowhere near that.

It's not negativity. It's refusing to make up things like "Jha talking like 100K dead is more of a worst case," when it is distinctly not what he said.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30268 on: March 30, 2020, 05:10:12 PM »

This is an example of what I mean by our not even remotely being on top of the COVID-19 situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/arizona-coronavirus-covid-19-lockdown-shelter-in-place

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 2016 2017 [2018] 2019 2020 ... 4288