Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2045 2046 [2047] 2048 2049 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584630 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30690 on: April 03, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »

https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2020/04/03/821397097/rattlesnake-roundup-a-texas-community-tradition

Idiots come together in small TX town to create coronavirus petri dish!   

(oddly,  I had just watched the classic film,  Ace in the Hole, in which Kirk Douglas heads out of Albuquerque to cover a rattlesnake festival,  then is sidetracked by something more newsworthy)

That’s the noir with the guy stuck in a cave? I remember it as The Big Carnival and Kirk was an amoral bastard.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30691 on: April 03, 2020, 10:50:11 AM »

https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2020/04/03/821397097/rattlesnake-roundup-a-texas-community-tradition

(oddly,  I had just watched the classic film,  Ace in the Hole, in which Kirk Douglas heads out of Albuquerque to cover a rattlesnake festival,  then is sidetracked by something more newsworthy)
"I didn't make it cynical enough."

- Billy Wilder
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30692 on: April 03, 2020, 10:56:48 AM »

Jared Kushner explains:
“The notion of the federal stockpile was it’s supposed to be our stockpile,” he said at one point during the briefing. “It’s not supposed to be state stockpiles that they then use.”

Say what?!

"But conservative writer Michelle Malkin seemed to suggest that Kushner’s Thursday appearance may have been a unifying moment for the country:
“America is finally united: NOBODY likes Jared Kushner,” Malkin tweeted. “NOBODY wants him in charge. NOBODY.”
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30693 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:02 AM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Apr 2
Just spoke to my friend MBS (Crown Prince) of Saudi Arabia, who spoke with President Putin of Russia, & I expect & hope that they will be cutting back approximately 10 Million Barrels, and maybe substantially more which, if it happens, will be GREAT for the oil & gas industry!

So what if it's bad for everybody but the gas & oil industry?

And... your friend, MBS, the murderer?! How... cozy.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #30694 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:55 AM »

Jared Kushner explains:
“The notion of the federal stockpile was it’s supposed to be our stockpile,” he said at one point during the briefing. “It’s not supposed to be state stockpiles that they then use.”

Say what?!

"But conservative writer Michelle Malkin seemed to suggest that Kushner’s Thursday appearance may have been a unifying moment for the country:
“America is finally united: NOBODY likes Jared Kushner,” Malkin tweeted. “NOBODY wants him in charge. NOBODY.”
Dammit. Now I like Jared Kushner.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

barton

« Reply #30695 on: April 03, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »

That’s the noir with the guy stuck in a cave? I remember it as The Big Carnival and Kirk was an amoral bastard.

Without consulting Wilder, Paramount Pictures executive Y. Frank Freeman changed the title to The Big Carnival just prior to its release.[5] Early television broadcasts retained that title, but when aired by Turner Classic Movies – and when released on DVD by The Criterion Collection in July 2007 – it reverted to Ace in the Hole.   

Yep.  And Jan Sterling was an amoral gold digger.

And,  as Boz notes,  Wilder responded to critical responses that the movie was too cynical with that choice quote.   Weird that,  after decades of Hearstian antics,  50s critics were insisting the story was too implausible. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30696 on: April 03, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »

Line item in my checking account this morning.
US Treasury Dept.- Covid-19(CORVIR) Stimulus   +$1200

You must have more need than I do.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30697 on: April 03, 2020, 11:47:52 AM »

The “ need” factor is a priority for sending out checks.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30698 on: April 03, 2020, 11:50:20 AM »

What does CORVIR represent?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30699 on: April 03, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Apr 2
Just spoke to my friend MBS (Crown Prince) of Saudi Arabia, who spoke with President Putin of Russia, & I expect & hope that they will be cutting back approximately 10 Million Barrels, and maybe substantially more which, if it happens, will be GREAT for the oil & gas industry!

Gasoline at 1.50 a gallon is nice.  But oil at $20 a barrel won’t support supply and demand.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30700 on: April 03, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Apr 2

Gasoline at 1.50 a gallon is nice.  But oil at $20 a barrel won’t support supply and demand.

Look at the sky over LA.

I think the DEMAND might be a bit slack at the moment...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 12:49:06 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30701 on: April 03, 2020, 12:33:51 PM »

I always thought oil was too important a commodity to be left to market fluctuations and uncertainty.  I thought that major consuming nations and major exporters should strike a deal that oil would be stay within a given range, which I'd probably peg it at between $30-$50 per barrel.  Let market forces move it up and down within those parameters.  That way you don't have shocks where the price hits over $100 a barrel and airlines and manufacturers and drivers don't get walloped; while you avoid valleys such as $20 where oil producers cannot meet their budgets.  Such price stability would be beneficial to both buyers and sellers, as well as oil&gas companies.   

Every 5 or 10 years you can hold some meetings to determine if the range should be adjusted.  With some limit that it can only be adjusted $10 per decade (or somesuch).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30702 on: April 03, 2020, 12:35:36 PM »

The “ need” factor is a priority for sending out checks.

Yes, you've said that, with no support. That was what prompted my comment.

How the IRS or anybody else in the federal government would know your "need factor" versus mine is a mystery.

But I am glad your deposit arrived. That's mostly a good sign.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30703 on: April 03, 2020, 12:38:32 PM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Apr 2

Gas at $20/barrel IS based on the combination of supply and demand, as you would have quickly pointed out to me, had I posted something as fatuous as your comment.

Economics 101. Saudi Arabia increased the supply, which had been artificially restrained. The prices dropped with the glut they created, because demand remained constant or possibly dropped.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30704 on: April 03, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
Apr 2

Gas at $20/barrel IS based on the combination of supply and demand, as you would have quickly pointed out to me, had I posted something as fatuous as your comment.

It is not sustainable. Producers will go out of business.

Economics 101. Saudi Arabia increased the supply, which had been artificially restrained. The prices dropped with the glut they created, because demand remained constant or possibly dropped.
You overlooked the idiotic game of chicken between Saudi Arabia and Russia. Whatever the reason for the supply glut the demand can’t keep up. Any collapse of the oil industry is bad for all of us.
Pages: 1 ... 2045 2046 [2047] 2048 2049 ... 4288