Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583882 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30765 on: April 04, 2020, 06:03:28 AM »

I do approve of trump doing as much as possible to personally expose himself to infection, especially if he and Mike Pence are still regularly swapping spit while playing tonsil hockey together, but it still sets a bad example for more impressionable Americans like Kid who may go back to licking the hand holds and hand rails all over New Jersey Transit before we get the all clear.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30766 on: April 04, 2020, 08:12:25 AM »

NYC is allowing crematories to operate around the clock and has dispatched 45 refrigerated trailers around the city to act as mobile morgues. FEMA is bringing another 85 units, as the city prepares for the death toll from COVID-19 to continue to grow.

Meanwhile the hospital ship doesn't accept coronavirus patients or anyone with one of 49 other illnesses.  That ought to be easy to navigate.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
You heard it here first ...
« Reply #30767 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:22 AM »

August could provide the GOP an opportunity to excise the Trump Cancer from the national polity.  They might need to salvage what they can by replacing him with Romney or Pence.   

The economy was all Trump had and that's been blown up by his incompetence.
By summer Trump could be seen as a walking plague.

Leap Day, February 29, as the virus was gaining a toehold in the US and the response looked poor, I told my niece that the virus could crash the economy bad enough that Trump couldn't be re-elected.  This completely baffled her, so I explained it more and she completely dismissed the chance of anything like that happening.  She thought it far-fetched and preposterous.

Since then, the US response has been slower and worse than I expected, allowing the virus to become more widespread and deadly than I anticipated.  So I'm adjusting my prediction.  Trump might be so discredited that he might not even run for re-election.  I'm placing the odds of that at 35% and rising ...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:39:10 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30768 on: April 04, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »

The National Stockpile includes broken ventilators and masks that expired in 2010.
https://apnews.com/f43781b64bacd6aa094d9404f4ab91a4
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

Re: You heard it here first ...
« Reply #30769 on: April 04, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »

Since then, the US response has been slower and worse than I expected, allowing the virus to become more widespread and deadly than I anticipated.  So I'm adjusting my prediction.  Trump might be so discredited that he might not even run for re-election.  I'm placing the odds of that at 35% and rising ...

I put the odds at zero.   (pretty much everything else you posted the previous two pages I heartily agree,  and I hope your parents are sheltering in place okay)

Zero,  because Trump firmly believes he pisses gold and shits brilliance.  Unless by some miracle a team of his lickspittles manages to convince him that retirement will make him look like a Big Winner and an emeritus GOP panjandrum forever.   It would take implementation of Amendm.XXV, Art. IV,  to stop his 2020 run.   

The Fallacy of Sunk Costs applies to Trump's ego.   And the GOP generally.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: You heard it here first ...
« Reply #30770 on: April 04, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »

I put the odds at zero.   (pretty much everything else you posted the previous two pages I heartily agree,  and I hope your parents are sheltering in place okay)

Zero,  because Trump firmly believes he pisses gold and shits brilliance.  Unless by some miracle a team of his lickspittles manages to convince him that retirement will make him look like a Big Winner and an emeritus GOP panjandrum forever.   It would take implementation of Amendm.XXV, Art. IV,  to stop his 2020 run.   

The Fallacy of Sunk Costs applies to Trump's ego.   And the GOP generally.

Trump will run for re-election because the second he is out of office he’s vulnerable to prosecution and won’t have the GOP’s DOJ to protect him.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30771 on: April 04, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »

The newly changed and distorted role of the National Stockpile encapsulates the failures of leadership by the Trump Admin.

You are right - the states aren't supposed to have an emergency stock.  This is why Obama and Bush and Clinton had the national so stocked.

Oh, wait - what?...

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30772 on: April 04, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30773 on: April 04, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »

Trump will run for re-election because the second he is out of office he’s vulnerable to prosecution and won’t have the GOP’s DOJ to protect him.

Ah, Bibi's playbook.

I wasn't really around then, but it's happened before:
https://www.history.com/news/lbj-exit-1968-presidential-race
LBJ leaving the '68 race looked like a 0% chance right up until he made his withdrawal announcement at the end of the State of the Union.

As for Trump, it mostly concerns:
1) how the virus plays out, how many die, how long it persists, and how bad the post-mortem is on Trump's inept leadership.  The lack of a coordinated national policy has been devastating.
2) there are plenty in the Repub party who don't like Trump and would love to see him removed, even disgraced, and a more normal standard bearer in his place.
Look at how the Dems just thwarted Bernie -- though this would obviously be on  bigger scale.
3) poll numbers, how discredited Trump becomes, his state of mind.  Trump could just say the hell with it, and prefer to go back to his business empire.  While many could be hugely tired of him.  Trump's failed and moved on before.
4) these have been strange times, with 2 impeachments, the Supreme Court deciding another election, rich buffoon Trump getting elected, I wouldn't be shocked by one more shock.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30774 on: April 04, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »

The newly changed and distorted role of the National Stockpile encapsulates the failures of leadership by the Trump Admin.

You are right - the states aren't supposed to have an emergency stock.  This is why Obama and Bush and Clinton had the national so stocked.

Oh, wait - what?...

I don't think you get to nail Clinton for this. Good try, though. The National Stockpile was created under the Clinton administration.

And yes, Kid, all of us have granted, pointed out, accepted, whatever, that the Bush and Obama administrations screwed up. As did Congress, all the way along. NO NEWS HERE.

But... Obama created a team to watch out for pandemics. Trump (and Bolton) destroyed it.

Obama's administration created a pandemic playbook. Trump ignored it.

And worst of all, the government had a number of checks and tests and simulations established and the military provided its own evaluation, and this president and this administration steadfastly ignored EVERYTHING that told them that problems were coming, either before the coronavirus or after it.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/3/1933977/-The-Army-warned-Trump-two-months-that-COVID-19-was-a-black-swan-on-the-way-to-wreck-America?detail=emaildkre
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30775 on: April 04, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »

Oh, wait - what?...
No idea what you are trying to communicate,

But don't they have inventory control.
When you're warehousing goods, especially for future emergency use, you need to keep track of expiration dates and test equipment now and then to make sure it's still usable.  Say, 6 months or a year before masks or whatever are set to expire, they should be donated or sold to hospitals and a new batch purchased for stockpiling.

Masks that expired 10 years ago?
Jeez.
Ventilators that need repair.  That's great for emergencies ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30776 on: April 04, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »

Just eight US governors have decided against issuing statewide directives urging their residents to stay at home as the outbreak of the coronavirus escalates and spreads across the country, the last holdouts in the nation.

The governors are all Republican.

The GOP --> The party of stupid.

Still. Again.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30777 on: April 04, 2020, 01:59:51 PM »

I was wondering if they parked the hospital ship next to the Chinese Consulate.
Sounds like a Trump thing to do.
But it seems the ship is up at 50th St, Pier 90, while the CH Consulate is on 42nd.
I thought it might be at 46th St, the other side of the pier where the USS Intrepid is kept.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30778 on: April 04, 2020, 02:00:43 PM »

Zero,  because Trump firmly believes he pisses gold and shits brilliance serving 4 more years is what is best for the nation.

FIFY

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30779 on: April 04, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »

North Dakota bar owner snubs closure order 5 times in 4 days

“Three dead out of 760,000 people [in ND]? 5,000 dead out of 330 million people?” Corum said. “You’re just not going to convince me this pandemic is the threat they claim it is.”

See if you can spot the logic flaw. . .

It's kind of like Trump poo-pooing 15 infection cases and saying it's not a big deal.

Also you can't endanger others lives just because you think it's okay.

You wonder just how many deaths it would take for this a**hole to shut his bar down ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2050 2051 [2052] 2053 2054 ... 4288