Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2084 2085 [2086] 2087 2088 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1594910 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31275 on: April 09, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »

Here’s something that would definitely help

http://worldmhc.org/prescription-for-survival/

No snake oil here, just sound medicine.

25th.  Right on.

barton

« Reply #31276 on: April 09, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »

My parents looked around and found they had a few N95 masks that my father keeps for home repair work such as sawing or other dusty generating work.  They could/would have dug those out and started wearing them in public 3 weeks earlier if the guidance has been honest.

People here in the wild libertarian West are pretty resistant to masks (unless they're robbing trains or stagecoaches,  I guess) but a few of us at the supermarket this weekend were wearing,  many of them like me, and your dad, using masks we had on hand for remodeling dust.

It was funny,  but it was kind of a bond among us,  and there were friendly nods and the occasional thumbs up. 

barton

« Reply #31277 on: April 09, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »

Ignorant, stupid, and insensitive - and proud of it!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-o-reilly-coronavirus_n_5e8e7f44c5b6b371812bad00?fbclid=IwAR2ZIsgc18ZoeJ7GHwOXwNEBg8uKT8W03t7zyyHpOCRnsxxiqzI6ZNO5G68

Bill O'Reilly says the folks who died from COVID-19 were "on their last legs, anyway."

And spectacularly untrue.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31278 on: April 09, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »

If there's a shortage of Neil Diamond songs, I think Bobby Darin's When I Get Home is close enough to offer therapeutic benefits
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31279 on: April 09, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »

O'Reilly is an awful human being.
The idea that the economy is more important than lives is pretty reprehensible.
But these are also people who support wars and the death penalty, so what can you expect.  My father used to like O'Reilly, thinking him some kind of straight talking anti-gov't tough guy.   I would try to explain that he's just a loudmouth who mostly tends to shout people down rather than engage.  That he just has a tv shtick as a crank and isn't an actual person with useful policy ideas.

I know the first person in Louisiana to die was a 17 year old football player.  Some young people have died.  Interesting how the virus hasn't bothered children that much.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31280 on: April 09, 2020, 10:52:31 AM »

One nice thing about masks is that they remind you to do other good precautionary behavior.   Like don't touch lots of items/surfaces.  Don't touch your mouth/nose/eyes (I use a tissue if/when I need to).   When everyone you see is wearing a mask, it reminds you not to let down your guard.

I've always been a little germophobic, so for years I do things like use the back of my hand on the overhead handrail on the subway, instead of using my palm and fingers.  And I don't like shaking hands.  At basketball I just tap a guy on the chest with the back of my hand.  Avoiding high fives, partly for hygiene but also to protect my many damaged fingers.  And I've always thought that sick people shouldn't come to work.  Which is far too common.  And I've always moved away from people who have a cough or sniffle or are sneezy, if possible.

It's odd, we know how viruses and other sicknesses are transmitted yet we engage in a lot of routine behavior that perpetuates transmission.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31281 on: April 09, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »

Don't understand why Americans can't get used to face masks.  I'd never worn one before late Jan, but you get used to it.  And it's interesting to observe how they are made and how they fit.  I wasn't aware surgical masks had hidden metal strips to allow for nose fitting.  I've taken to hanging a mask next to the front door so i don't forget to put one on.

Otherwise, I'm now into scenting my mask.  Basil works best.  Mint is fine.  Been meaning to try rosemary.  A friend suggested lemon which probably wouldn't top my list, but could be good.  It's nice to breathe a good scent all day. 

And when you pull down your mask, I found the best way is to pinch down by your chin and tug down.  That way you touch it minimally and not near your mouth.  I don't think that matters much, but it's a quick easy way which seems relatively clean.  I pull down the mask when i'm biking around.  And back up if I get stopped next to people.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31282 on: April 09, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »

The idea that the economy is more important than lives is pretty reprehensible.

The Great Depression was pretty darn miserable for millions - and deadly for many.

Eyes need to be on everything - avoiding any either/or talk the extremists dole out.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31283 on: April 09, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »

Good morning.

I haven't seen Trump discount other remedies being deployed/tried.

Until yesterday (or was it the day before), while he didn't knock them explicitly by his only promoting one, repeatedly, it had that effect.

And you know that.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31284 on: April 09, 2020, 12:00:44 PM »

Ignorant, stupid, and insensitive - and proud of it!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-o-reilly-coronavirus_n_5e8e7f44c5b6b371812bad00?fbclid=IwAR2ZIsgc18ZoeJ7GHwOXwNEBg8uKT8W03t7zyyHpOCRnsxxiqzI6ZNO5G68

Bill O'Reilly says the folks who died from COVID-19 were "on their last legs, anyway."

And spectacularly untrue.

That was the ignorant and stupid part, yes.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31285 on: April 09, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »

You can’t say he didn’t warn you of who he is...

Suckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9_r2Rzrc0
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31286 on: April 09, 2020, 12:29:57 PM »

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/08/829955099/federal-support-for-coronavirus-testing-sites-end-as-peak-nears

:( >:( :o

Why has the administration ordered FEMA to terminate support for coronavirus testing sites?

Kid? Ward? Bueller?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31287 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:05 PM »

It's in the article.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31288 on: April 09, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »

It's in the article.

No, it really isn't.

There is an attempt at an explanation and a shot at deferring some of the issues with it: "only closing some" locations is no explanation for why any are being shut.

And given the difficulties in getting supplies for non-federal operated testing facilities, it makes even less sense.

So, why?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31289 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media/pence-office-tv-bookings-coronavirus/index.html

Can't let those public health officials be telling the truth where people might hear them!
Pages: 1 ... 2084 2085 [2086] 2087 2088 ... 4288