Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1593112 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31306 on: April 09, 2020, 06:40:50 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2020/04/09/dr-lance-dodes-trump-is-a-predator-and-if-he-werent-president-he-would-be-in-prison/

Administration rosy pronouncements and doctored numbers are part of the disease.

A government by and of sociopaths isn’t for anybody. It’s just trump’s home life writ large.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:43:55 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #31307 on: April 09, 2020, 07:46:56 PM »

I’ve seen more and more pictures recently of trump going around in a bright yellow baseball cap emblazoned with the words, “I Don’t Give a Shit about You”

Do you credit that to the new press secretary or the new chief of staff?

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31308 on: April 09, 2020, 07:58:32 PM »

I’ve seen more and more pictures recently of trump going around in a bright yellow baseball cap emblazoned with the words, “I Don’t Give a Shit about You”

Nope.

New memers.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #31309 on: April 09, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »

Nope.

New memers.

Inspired work. It really captures the soul of the man.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31310 on: April 09, 2020, 08:55:02 PM »

I had a Bernie-supporter post a plaintive "The Riden-with-Biden folks are just going to drive me away with their shame tactics!"

So, I asked what would work, since that won't.

Respect and empathy, I was told. I noted that I knew how that felt, as I have felt disrespected and not understood for a long time.

Next answer was for him to adopt college debt forgiveness, Medicare for All, and the Green New Deal. I posted Biden's long time position adopting the GND. Then I posted today's news:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-sanders-policies-medicare-college-debt/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31311 on: April 09, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »

Biden the puppet

Could work.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31312 on: April 09, 2020, 09:57:40 PM »

Biden the puppet

Could work.

Kid, the asshole.

Can't work.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #31314 on: April 09, 2020, 11:00:53 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #31316 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »

https://apnews.com/517bb5588fc94403f797a2045095dcac

A failed garden of cassava, a local staple, means hunger. Such worries in the village of some 600 people are reflected across a large part of East Africa, including Kenya, Ethiopia and South Sudan. The locust swarms also have been sighted in Djibouti, Eritrea, Tanzania and Congo.

The U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization has called the locust outbreak, caused in part by climate change, “an unprecedented threat” to food security and livelihoods. Its officials have called this new wave some 20 times the size of the first.   

I was looking for non-CV news,  but what I found also felt apocalyptic.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31317 on: April 10, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/us/coronavirus-navajo-nation.html

Note the spread of COVID in the nation has been linked to a.religious service.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #31318 on: April 10, 2020, 11:23:47 AM »

What's weird is that Rapid City,  in the heart of Lakota country,  has the lowest rate of COVID of any metro in the US,  AFAICT.   City around 75k, metro about 150k, and a total of 7 cases.   I looked at comparable places like Missoula, Bismarck,  Sioux Falls, Fort Collins,  Grand Island,  et al.  Much higher numbers all of them.   In Arizona,  remote Apache County has 52 cases,  with half the population of Rapid city metro.  Martin County, MN,  has 35 cases with a population of only 20k, and is more off the beaten path than RCSD.   

If anyone finds a lower rate than RCSD for a comparable sized metro,  please let me know.    It's mystifying, considering we're on a major interstate, regional hub,  and get some winter tourism.  We are near reservations with many families living in close quarters and having short water supplies (though not as short on water as the Navajo). 
Pine Ridge rez,  and Standing Rock rez have each had one case.  Same for Rosebud.

So I'm wondering if this is just a matter of radically lower rates of testing.  Or one of those statistical blips that just happen.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:44:36 AM by barton »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31319 on: April 10, 2020, 11:45:03 AM »

America still has a weird relationship to mask wearing.

Dr. Birx continually worries that people will wear masks and not take other precautions, and feel invulnerable.  Dr. Fauci doesn't say people should wear masks, but instead refers to it as a face covering saying masks should be reserved for health care workers.   While lots of Americans still don't wear masks in public.

Why not just treat American like adults?  Simply state that a mask or other facial covering will help keep your germs away from the public and help you keep others germs out of your respiratory system.  But that masks are just one component of staying safe, and the best thing is to stay away from other people, keep your distance when you are around others, and wash your hands frequently. 

And if everyone wears a masks then people who are infected those who are contagious, regardless of symptoms, will be wearing a mask and reduce their chance of transmitting the virus.  If everyone wears a mask, there are two layers of material between you and any virus particles. 

Everyday people in low risk environments should wash and reuse their masks, which is what many doctors and nurses are forced to do due to shortages.  Surgical masks and N95's are needed by health care professionals, so ordinary folks should make do with whatever facial covering they can arrange and shouldn't compete with doctors and nurses for high level masks.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2086 2087 [2088] 2089 2090 ... 4288