Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 [2094] 2095 2096 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2006868 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31395 on: April 11, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »

Too good not to share (be sure and look at all ten slides at the top of article)...

https://apnews.com/7730b7e3c88eb282ee358d1e1111b889

Russians decorate isolation by recreating artworks   

barton

« Reply #31396 on: April 11, 2020, 11:49:57 AM »

I don't need the $1200, so will pass it along to a relative who can use it.   

Well,  we know what happens when a public official doesn't compliment Trump.   Newsom cares about the people of California.

One must kiss the don's ring.   In the psychiatric debate as to Trump being a sociopath or a narcissist, the answer is "both,  they aren't mutually exclusive categories"

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31397 on: April 11, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »

I'm undecided if I'll claim the $1200 the gov't is offering.  I've been affected economically by the coronavirus, just not in the US, and I don't particularly need the money.  I'll probably pass, I think.

But I figured I might as well file my tax returns for the past 2 (3?) years and get up to date before the gov't notices and sends me letters.  So I go to IRS.gov and the site itself says it will take 15 minutes to set up an account.  15 mins?  Sounds rather long and laborious.  Okay.  Then almost immediately I run into an issue in that you need a US based mobile phone in your name.  Or they'll mail a letter to your home to verify your address.  Which sure means that 15 minutes is going to be a lot longer.  I could receive an SMS and code on a relatives phone, but it says the phone should be in your own name.  Does everyone have mobile phones in the US?  Does everyone want the gov't knowing which mobile # is yours?  Hmm ...

Then when I put in all my basic info, it says that my info doesn't match their records.  So I retype my SS# and try again.  Nope.  I try removing my middle name.  Nope.  Well that was 3 tries, so the site freezes my account set-up attempt for 24 hours.  No idea what went wrong, since the info was very basic such as name, birthdate, SS#, address in the US, that I couldn't have gotten wrong.  Er. 

So now I'm 24 hours away from trying to re-register so that I can get a letter physically mailed to my parents house to verify my address.  Then once I get the letter, I'll get a code I can put in to continue trying to set up an account.  Easy and convenient!

All this plus doing a few years of tax returns (I don't owe a penny in the US) will start feeling like work, and maybe I should get paid $1200 for the effort/hassle.

I follow some IRS directions and go to https://www.freetaxusa.com/freefile to do my previous year's tax returns, and get a message saying ACCESS DENIED --FreeTaxUSA.com has banned your IP address (xxxxxxxxxxx) CN.

So in 15 minutes I got thwarted 3 different ways from doing anything.

It's all so simple ...
LOL!
Another reminder that
Time Wounds All Heels!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31398 on: April 11, 2020, 12:42:05 PM »

So in 15 minutes I got thwarted 3 different ways from doing anything.

It's all so simple ...
LOL!
Another reminder that
Time Wounds All Heels!

Another reminder that Ward is a lying, cheating, misanthropic asshole.

Hey, Ward, we don't need any more reminders.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31399 on: April 11, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/us/nyc-schools-closed-trnd/index.html

Mayor DeBlasio announces that after consultation, NYC schools will remain closed through the rest of the academic year. Also, any kid requesting a computer will have it by the end of the month. (NOT Amazon!)

Governor Cuomo responds that that's just DeBlasio's opinion and that no decisions have been made yet about school closures' continuing.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31400 on: April 11, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »

I do understand, though, that your life is nasty, brutish, and short.

Mon Dieu - are you giving me the virus.  That's a bit unkind.
I am guessing your.only point of reference for Hobbes is a stuffed tiger.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31401 on: April 11, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31403 on: April 11, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31404 on: April 11, 2020, 02:59:35 PM »

https://khn.org/news/covid19-drug-treatment-trial-remdesivir/

Discussion of one couple's experience and an overview of what is going on and the wait for results from the larger trials.

barton

« Reply #31405 on: April 11, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »

Mayor DeBlasio announces that after consultation, NYC schools will remain closed through the rest of the academic year. Also, any kid requesting a computer will have it by the end of the month. (NOT Amazon!)

Governor Cuomo responds that that's just DeBlasio's opinion and that no decisions have been made yet about school closures' continuing.

I'm unclear on how the "digital divide" is bridged by just handing out laptops.  Do the children of poor families that need laptops to Zoom conference with teachers, or whatever platform is used,  have broadband access at home?   If not,  where do they access the Net if libraries and community centers are closed?   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31406 on: April 11, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »

:Some communities have used school buses as mobile hot spots.  But yes, I would think in some locales lack of access is problematic.

Elongating next year's school year makes sense.

Now, how about this NYU Tisch students demanding tuition back.  What do you think?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31407 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:27 PM »

I'm unclear on how the "digital divide" is bridged by just handing out laptops.  Do the children of poor families that need laptops to Zoom conference with teachers, or whatever platform is used,  have broadband access at home?   If not,  where do they access the Net if libraries and community centers are closed?

Broadband access has already been expanded, free, to anybody who has requested it in NYC among other places.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31408 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2092 2093 [2094] 2095 2096 ... 4288