Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of the Kavanaugh investigation and his Appointment

The FBI will find sufficient evidence that the nomination will end (whether he withdraws or is withdrawn).
- 1 (12.5%)
The FBI will find evidence, but Kavanaugh will be appointed regardless.
- 1 (12.5%)
The FBI will find evidence and Kavanaugh will lose in the Senate vote.
- 3 (37.5%)
The FBI will find nothing substantial to report.
- 3 (37.5%)
The FBI will find evidence of a conspiracy against Kavanaugh/Trump and charges will be filed.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: October 05, 2018, 07:38:36 PM

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300]

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 20182 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #4485 on: Today at 05:50:45 PM »

Okay then. So you're back to your idiotic conclusion that "identity politics" has "run its course." I prefer your disagreeing with me anyway.
Suit yourself.
Just don’t distort my argument.
BTW on the subject of the so-called Trump million dollar bet on the DNA challenge.
I suggest he write a check to her charity for  $976.56 which is a bout 1/1024th of a million bucks.

It seems that Trump might be many things, but in his welshing on his promise to donate $1million to charity upon evidence of Sen. Warren's Native-American heritage, he can not be accused of being an Indian-giver.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Rest in peace, Tex Winter

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: Today at 05:53:55 PM »

It seems to me Sen. Warren used her family history, as told to her, and as attested to by DNA testing, to accurately apply for a job.
There is no evidence she did any such thing. It is a.right wing myth, like Obama's place.of birth. Nothing more.

And it seems we've narrowed down the probabliites that Red is either 50% or 100% Northern European-North American racist troll.

I assume she accurately applied for the job at Harvard.

But I'm not paying much attention to this, as I did not to the racist bullshit about our first Kenyan-American president.

Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: Today at 05:58:44 PM »

Identity politics are political positions based on the interests and perspectives of social groups with which people identify. Identity politics includes the ways in which people's politics are shaped by aspects of their identity through loosely correlated social organizations. Examples include social organizations based on age, religion, social class or caste, culture, dialect, disability, education, ethnicity, language, nationality, sex, gender identity, generation, occupation, profession, race, political party affiliation, sexual orientation, settlement, urban and rural habitation, and veteran status.

This is the scholarly definition of the term.   Kind of a pity it has been distorted and turned into a dogwhistle for bigots and the empathy-challenged.   

In the actual meaning of the term,  there will always be identity politics.  It is what social groups do.   

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: Today at 06:02:09 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/16/politics/heitkamp-apologizes-sexual-assault-survivors/index.html

not good

Heidi seems to have made a blooper,  but it seemed to be without malice or any intent of harm.   Up to ND voters to decide if it's  forgivable.  Since she's a woman in American politics, I deem it likely the Right will spend the next couple decades demonizing her.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: Today at 06:06:16 PM »

I see you are doing exactly what I said you do: posting stupid deflecting comments instead of making and defending  your points because you lack the ability to do more than incompetently recap an argument you did not understand from a right wing website you can barely read.

My comments were thus:

So Elizabeth Warren has come up with a DNA analysis that puts her claimed Native American ancestry somewhere between 1/64th and 1/1024th.
Well no wonder she signed her 1984 book “ Pow Wow Chow” as Elizabeth Warren, Cherokee!
Maybe she did us all a favor by putting a dagger through the heart of identity politics.

And a quote from a native American taking her to task for using the DNA test

Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong,” said Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr. “It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven.”
Hoskin accused Warren of “undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage.”

Perhaps your argument is with Mr. Hoskin, Jr.
It certainly is not with me.

No, my argument is with you, not Hoskins. Hoskins has his reasons for limiting claims to tribal heritage. You have your reasons for denigrating the validity of Warren's pride in the oral tradition in her family of Native American heritage, and your reasons have nothing to do with his.
Warren is not claiming to be legally entitled to be a member of the Cherokee tribe, she is validating an oral family history the right has mocked her for.
She identied herself as a Cherokee in a cookbook she authored in the mid 1980’s. (edited by her cousin)

It is the right's response, and your response, to having to eat.crow (lower case, the bird) that is at issue. She has native American blood and Trump's calling her Pocahontas has gone from race baiting to racism. Your desperate affempt to continue and advance that attack is a defense of racism.
I guess it is convenient for you to set a standard in the amount of blood that constitutes a claim of indentity. But, by all means, don’t forget to label every one a racist who has a different standard.

My observation that if Senator Warren used a obscure connection in her heritage to claim minority status for a tenured teaching position at Harvard ( confirmed denied by Harvard)Fixed it for you. There is no evidence that Warren's ethnicity was raised wi:th or known by Harvard at the time it hired her. It was not until after her hire that she identified in an official way with her heritage. I would link to the extensive Boston Globe article detailing records and interviews that conclusively demonstrates this is unfounded in facts, but I cannot figure out how.

Quoting from the Boston Globe:

US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren has said she was unaware that Harvard Law School had been promoting her purported Native American heritage until she read about it in a newspaper several weeks ago 
But for at least six straight years during Warren’s tenure, Harvard University reported in federally mandated diversity statistics that it had a Native American woman in its senior ranks at the law school. According to both Harvard officials and federal guidelines, those statistics are almost always based on the way employees describe themselves.

In addition, both Harvard’s guidelines and federal regulations for the statistics lay out a specific definition of Native American that Warren does not meet.

The documents suggest for the first time that either Warren or a Harvard administrator classified her repeatedly as Native American in papers prepared for the government in a way that apparently did not adhere to federal diversity guidelines. They raise further questions about Warren’s statements that she was unaware Harvard was promoting her as Native American.

identity politics may have run its course which has been noted by many members of the democrat party.
identity politics is a right wing way of sneering at women and minorities seeking their rights. Like political correctness.
Ah, of course.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:09:11 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: Today at 06:08:02 PM »

Another burst of passive-aggressive flatulence.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: Today at 06:09:13 PM »

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/mcconnell-eyes-cuts-medicare-social-security-address-deficit

In case there was any doubt, Republicans are going to pay for the tax cuts to their donors by squeezing your retirement.
God does not foresake forever. He may punish, yet he will have compassion. He does not willingly afflict the children of men.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: Today at 06:11:47 PM »

Funny thing is, he does not.even respect his own argument. Or perhaps he does not understand it.
God does not foresake forever. He may punish, yet he will have compassion. He does not willingly afflict the children of men.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: Today at 06:13:11 PM »

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/mcconnell-eyes-cuts-medicare-social-security-address-deficit

In case there was any doubt, Republicans are going to pay for the tax cuts to their donors by squeezing your retirement.
This is the type of thing the Democrats should run on.
A penny for the old guy.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: Today at 06:16:01 PM »

Funny thing is, he does not.even respect his own argument. Or perhaps he does not understand it.
LOL

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Rest in peace, Tex Winter
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300]