Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2104 2105 [2106] 2107 2108 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005801 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31575 on: April 14, 2020, 12:03:51 AM »

"even though on the morning of the election, local clerks had not even mailed ballots to more than 11,000 people who had requested them on time."

The election in Wisconsin should have been postponed.

Regardless of the results.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31576 on: April 14, 2020, 12:12:47 AM »

For comparison's sake, we are near the first peak. The proposal is to remove the interventions.

Guess what will happen if we lift them too soon.

Now know that the proposed date for ending the major intervention is earlier, relative to the 1918 date, than theirs was.

NOTE: This graph is just about Denver, which is why the "first case" is in September for a disease that had been in the US for about 6 months at that point.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31577 on: April 14, 2020, 12:13:28 AM »

"even though on the morning of the election, local clerks had not even mailed ballots to more than 11,000 people who had requested them on time."

LOL!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31578 on: April 14, 2020, 01:29:52 AM »

LOL!

Real funny, watching election fraud, as citizens are deprived of their right to vote.

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31579 on: April 14, 2020, 01:54:30 AM »

As a ward of the state (mental incapacity), does Red get to vote?

If not, it would explain his views on the matter.

The quality of his posts clearly indicates his mental incapacity.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31580 on: April 14, 2020, 03:45:58 AM »

He's not the first and he won't be the last, but the pity is that he led so many other people, including his wife, to get infected - and too many of them will die, in addition to having also infected folks.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/virginia-pastor-who-held-packed-church-service-dies-of-coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR1kfKXKrNQbvISS6kvSDt-sTRFKp1f_LTX-CZv9UfjosiLgDbPxybAqBaM

His daughter says "stay home."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31581 on: April 14, 2020, 03:56:14 AM »

Meanwhile, US new case and new death numbers were still sharply down on Monday compared with the days before Sunday.

I'm skeptical of them, simply because I see no reason for the abrupt change, but it is hard to deny them.

If the drop is real, then sometime today through Wednesday or Thursday, we should see a further drop. If it instead happenstance, then we will go back above 30k new cases and 1,900-2,100 new deaths daily, rather than the 25k new cases and 1,500 new deaths we have seen on Sunday and Monday.

I hope my skepticism is just flat wrong.

Meanwhile, the pandemic is just heating up in some other places. The world is not out of the woods yet. And... there is still the various scenarios of 1918 to consider - that it did not get bad until 6 months in and that it hit in multiple waves.

I hope we do not follow or fall into that framework.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31582 on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:35 AM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e908257c5b63e73d7e3b5e3

Rural health care and a pandemic in waves.

First storm of the season has already destroyed thousands of homes and sent people on the move or into shelters.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31583 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:26 AM »

The  Constitution Does not grant the Executive Branch “ total authority “ to govern the mobility of Americans.

The US Gov't has the power to send me off to war, and if I refuse to send me off to jail.  Yes?  They can multiply that times 1 million, and send 1M Americans off to war.  True?  Is there a legal limit on how many citizens they can force off to war?  Uh, actually no. 

So the Feds indeed have the power to govern the mobility of Americans.
Therefore you're wrong.

I'm not sure what is exactly meant by "total authority" but that seems a canard and just means the power to do something.

The core function of government is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people.  So in cases of war and pandemics the government has large and even extraordinary power.  Quarantine powers have always been understood as a power the government has in order to protect the greater society.  And if states have significant quarantine power, then it follows that the US also does in epidemic cases that are not contained within a single state.  For the common welfare.

The courts have given the US Gov't a lot of leeway in terms of war powers and health emergencies. 

Now you or some other assholes might not like how much the Feds have when it comes to epidemics or war, but that doesn't change the equation any.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31584 on: April 14, 2020, 05:27:47 AM »

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

Apparently they fucking do.
And it's not nanny state to enact measures that will if implemented and complied with save lives in the face of an immediate and deadly threat.

Some whiny-ass rugged individualists ya got there.
Hard to believe your citing this in a positive/supporting manner.

The problem is that if some jerks want to go to church and mingle (likely without masks too).  then they create an unnecessary viral hotspot and if their is transmission there, then these jerks go back into society and infect their relatives and people in the grocery store, etc.   It doesn't help stopping some transmission chains and allowing others to spread. 

Contact tracing is hard work, and say 100 people go to a church, 1 his infectious and 10 others catch it.  Now you need to strictly trace all the movements and contacts those 11 had.  And it's really hard to find everyone who was in Costco at the same time as any of them.  And try to quickly test and fidn any positives, that then need their movements/contacts traced.  And you still need to quarantine the other 90 and do some contact tracing in case they turn out positive in the next week or two (average latency period has been reported as 5.5 days).

That's a lot of danger and viral spreading and a lot of burden on society because some folks just can't deal with a virtual church service for 8 weeks. 

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,”

Apparently word hasn't gotten to everyone yet, but a major problem with this disease is you don't know who is infected and infectious easily.  Pre-, a- and post-symptomatic people might be infectious and able to spread the disease.

It's not like this is some arbitrary exercise of power.  It's a carefully thought out plan to limit and hopefully eradicate transmission chains, and end the virus.  It's a model that has worked elsewhere.  And will be enforced for a limited time as medically necessary.  A tremendously poor time for some to try to assert their rights.  The rights and lives of the masses take precedence.  Simple.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #31585 on: April 14, 2020, 07:56:44 AM »

The  Constitution Does not grant the Executive Branch “ total authority “ to govern the mobility of Americans.

The US Gov't has the power to send me off to war, and if I refuse to send me off to jail.  Yes?  They can multiply that times 1 million, and send 1M Americans off to war.  True?  Is there a legal limit on how many citizens they can force off to war?  Uh, actually no. 

So the Feds indeed have the power to govern the mobility of Americans.
Therefore you're wrong.

I'm not sure what is exactly meant by "total authority" but that seems a canard and just means the power to do something.

The core function of government is to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people.  So in cases of war and pandemics the government has large and even extraordinary power.  Quarantine powers have always been understood as a power the government has in order to protect the greater society.  And if states have significant quarantine power, then it follows that the US also does in epidemic cases that are not contained within a single state.  For the common welfare.

The courts have given the US Gov't a lot of leeway in terms of war powers and health emergencies. 

Now you or some other assholes might not like how much the Feds have when it comes to epidemics or war, but that doesn't change the equation any.
While it's a creative argument, I'm not sure the Constitutional Authority to raise and support armies can be used as justification for a quarantine.   
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31586 on: April 14, 2020, 08:29:39 AM »

The GOP knew if they postponed the election the political environment would not improve their odds. They found out they’re toast.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31587 on: April 14, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31588 on: April 14, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

Apparently they fucking do.
And it's not nanny state to enact measures that will if implemented and complied with save lives in the face of an immediate and deadly threat.

Some whiny-ass rugged individualists ya got there.
Hard to believe your citing this in a positive/supporting manner.

The problem is that if some jerks want to go to church and mingle (likely without masks too).  then they create an unnecessary viral hotspot and if their is transmission there, then these jerks go back into society and infect their relatives and people in the grocery store, etc.   It doesn't help stopping some transmission chains and allowing others to spread. 

Contact tracing is hard work, and say 100 people go to a church, 1 his infectious and 10 others catch it.  Now you need to strictly trace all the movements and contacts those 11 had.  And it's really hard to find everyone who was in Costco at the same time as any of them.  And try to quickly test and fidn any positives, that then need their movements/contacts traced.  And you still need to quarantine the other 90 and do some contact tracing in case they turn out positive in the next week or two (average latency period has been reported as 5.5 days).

That's a lot of danger and viral spreading and a lot of burden on society because some folks just can't deal with a virtual church service for 8 weeks. 

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,”

Apparently word hasn't gotten to everyone yet, but a major problem with this disease is you don't know who is infected and infectious easily.  Pre-, a- and post-symptomatic people might be infectious and able to spread the disease.

It's not like this is some arbitrary exercise of power.  It's a carefully thought out plan to limit and hopefully eradicate transmission chains, and end the virus.  It's a model that has worked elsewhere.  And will be enforced for a limited time as medically necessary.  A tremendously poor time for some to try to assert their rights.  The rights and lives of the masses take precedence.  Simple.
You realize the primary reason this is happening in Michigan is because Trump disparaged Whittmer and the Trumpian sheeple are dutifully attacking her, even if they die for it. It is the same reason kiid keeps jumping that mythical French study of that malaria drug: an unthinking, reflexive defense of The DEAR LEADER.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31589 on: April 14, 2020, 09:12:51 AM »

Stimulus payments are going out. Red got his three weeks ago so that must have been a test of the system because he would not have LIED ABOUT THAT, would he?
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 2104 2105 [2106] 2107 2108 ... 4288