Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005788 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #31605 on: April 14, 2020, 11:08:34 AM »

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-stay-at-home-orders-protests-economy

Stay your ass home to stop the spread. Standing up for your right to be an asshole in the middle of a fucking plague is great as long is you don’t infringe on my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of not getting infected by some idiot too stupid to save his own ass.

Some people don't grasp that this supposed pillar of American ideological history,  Rugged Individualism, often ignores the reality of the Social Contract:  that what's good for one Rugged Individual may not work so great for the other Rugged Individuals around you.   

The concept of asymptomatic virus shedding seems still not to have penetrated the right-wing skull.
What did that rant have to with anything being discussed?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31606 on: April 14, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »

FRENCH STUDY OF COVID-19 PATIENTS

*  Treated with at least three days of hydroxychloroquine-azithromycin (HCG-AZ)

*  Follow-up of at least 9 days

*  No cardiac toxicity observed

*  Good clinical outcome and virilogical cure for 973 patients within 10 days (91.7%)

*  Poor clinic outcome in 46 patients (4.3%)

*  5 patients died (0.47%) (74-95 years old) and 31 required 10 days of hospitilization or more

-----------------

-  IHU Mediterranee Infection, Marseille, France
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:15:59 AM by kiidcarter8 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #31607 on: April 14, 2020, 11:20:20 AM »

News Item

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center took a major step in treating novel coronavirus, known medically as COVID-19.

On Monday, a team performed a transfusion of the first patient in central and northern Ohio with plasma from a recovered COVID-19 patient.

https://www.10tv.com/article/plasma-transfusion-recovered-covid-19-patient-performed-ohio-state-wexner-medical-center

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31608 on: April 14, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »

I'm looking at results from a Google search with these terms: (french coronavirus clinical trial).

I set it for the last 24 hours, ince you implied that it was news being ignored by the main stream media.

I added hydroxychloroquine to my search.

In neither case could I find what you are talking about.

So, to which "most recent French study of over 1000 patients" do you refer?

https://dnyuz.com/2020/04/09/controversial-french-virologist-claims-chloroquine-breakthrough-for-coronavirus-as-macron-visits/

And now we know what it is - thank you - and why we have not seen it covered much. We also know why my search did not find it - it's 5 days old, already.

First off is an abstract from the Marseilles IHU group of Dr. Didier Raoult. It presents 1061 patients treated for at least 3 days with their hydroxychloroquine/azithromycin combination, with followup of at least 9 days. It includes the statement “98% of patients cured so far” and says also “No cardiac toxicity was observed”, and also says that mortality figures were improved in these patients as compared with others receiving standard-of-care without such treatment. The other release is a data table on these patients (there is no full manuscript as of yet). It does not include any sort of control group, nor (as far as I can see) does it even have a comparison in it to those other patients mentioned in the abstract. Let’s hold on to these thoughts as we discuss the next data.

This is from Science Magazine (put out by AAAS). This is as opposed to DNYZ, which is put out by anonymous and whose "about" page does not exist. Any ostensible news organization or even aggregator that is hiding its ownership and background as hard as DNYZ is is pretty suspicious, Kid.

But let's look at what we have:
(a) An experiment that he kept secret such that nobody knew he was doing it.
(b) Yet another one that had no control.

In the abstract's methodology report, it provides the vaguest of explanations. "...treated for at least 3 days with the HCQ-AZ combination and a follow-up of at least 9 days was investigated." Treated in what way with what kind of combination?! Later in reading, the abstract suggests that different levels of the combination ("hydroxychloroquine serum concentration") were used, but again there is zero specificity!

Methodology concludes by observing that "Endpoints were death, worsening and viral shedding persistence." THIS IS NOT METHODOLOGY.

The findings explains that " Of the 3,165 positive patients placed in the care of our institute, 1061
previously unpublished patients met our inclusion criteria." But there is no explanation in methods of what that inclusion criteria might have been! There is no science in this "science," Kid!

The findings area is filled with percentages and p values, but when it comes to anything that might tell a reader what was being done, the writer falls back on vagueness: "...both poor clinical and virological outcomes were associated to the use of selective beta-blocking agents and angiotensin II receptor blockers (P<0.05)." How many got the beta-blocking agents? How many got angiotensin II receptor blockers?! How much did they get? Were they getting the higher or the lower levels of the "hydroxychloroquine serum concentration?"

So... an unpublished, unpeer-reviewed paper is presented only in abstract form, without substance, without control, and without explanation of what was actually tested.

Give me a fucking break, Kid.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31609 on: April 14, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »

News Item

The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center took a major step in treating novel coronavirus, known medically as COVID-19.

On Monday, a team performed a transfusion of the first patient in central and northern Ohio with plasma from a recovered COVID-19 patient.

https://www.10tv.com/article/plasma-transfusion-recovered-covid-19-patient-performed-ohio-state-wexner-medical-center

They're a bit behind others in initiating this, but I am glad they are trying it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #31610 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:31 AM »

“Quarantine is when you restrict movement of sick people. Tyranny is when you restrict the movement of healthy people,” Meshawn Maddock, an organizer of the protest with the Michigan Conservative Coalition, told Fox News. “Every person has learned a harsh lesson about social distancing. We don’t need a nanny state to tell people how to be careful.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-stay-at-home-orders-protests-economy

Stay your ass home to stop the spread. Standing up for your right to be an asshole in the middle of a fucking plague is great as long is you don’t infringe on my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of not getting infected by some idiot too stupid to save his own ass.

Some people don't grasp that this supposed pillar of American ideological history,  Rugged Individualism, often ignores the reality of the Social Contract:  that what's good for one Rugged Individual may not work so great for the other Rugged Individuals around you.   

The concept of asymptomatic virus shedding seems still not to have penetrated the right-wing skull.
What did that rant have to with anything being discussed?

Go back to sleep...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31611 on: April 14, 2020, 11:29:28 AM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/13/1936927/-Despite-dire-coronavirus-warnings-churches-in-at-least-five-states-still-held-Easter-services?detail=emaildkre

As I said before. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

And even if his description of quarantine were correct, when you cannot tell who is carrying the illness and who is not, then quarantine is for those who may have been exposed, not merely those already evidently sick.

These fools need somebody to tell them not only how to be careful, but that they must be careful.

Kid, you are part of the problem.

I didn't say it.

I do think civil liberties are being taken away unnecessarily across the US - out of fear.

Better to be MORE careful, too careful?  Sure.  That makes sense.   But this is still America.  I havent been inconvenienced here by authorities as I live through this crisis.  But others have.

Now - to shift -

who has the RIGHT to be tested?  Any of us?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #31612 on: April 14, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »

The fact you didn't find the French study in your almighty google search illustrated my initial point, Josh - that it isnt being reported.  But I am happy to have gone through it with you.

Be well.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31613 on: April 14, 2020, 11:49:02 AM »

Here's the abstract for the report that Kid is talking about:
https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Abstract_Raoult_EarlyTrtCovid19_09042020_vD1v.pdf

By the way - an example of the main street media ignoring it was the article 5 days ago in the New York Times.

Interpretation
The HCQ-AZ combination, when started immediately after diagnosis, is a safe and efficient
treatment for COVID-19, with a mortality rate of 0.5%, in elderly patients.

But earlier, in "findings" (which is a bizarre place for it to be, it said:
Their mean age was 43.6 years old and 492 were male (46.4%).

Elderly?!

This so-called study is bullshit, from top to bottom.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31614 on: April 14, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/4/13/1936927/-Despite-dire-coronavirus-warnings-churches-in-at-least-five-states-still-held-Easter-services?detail=emaildkre

As I said before. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

And even if his description of quarantine were correct, when you cannot tell who is carrying the illness and who is not, then quarantine is for those who may have been exposed, not merely those already evidently sick.

These fools need somebody to tell them not only how to be careful, but that they must be careful.

Kid, you are part of the problem.

I didn't say it.

I do think civil liberties are being taken away unnecessarily across the US - out of fear.

Better to be MORE careful, too careful?  Sure.  That makes sense.   But this is still America.  I havent been inconvenienced here by authorities as I live through this crisis.  But others have.

Now - to shift -

You presented it uncritically and in support of a position you have been pushing, along with your "leader" all the way along. Your disingenuous denial of advocacy is stupid and boring.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31615 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »

President Donald Trump claimed the “total” authority to decide how and when to reopen the economy

Pretty funny after he abdicated responsibility and left it up to states to decide what measures to take and scramble on their own for equipment.  Suddenly the Feds are all-powerful when Trump wants to do something -- for the economy not for people's health.

This clown needs to be deactivated.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31616 on: April 14, 2020, 11:52:59 AM »

About 2 months ago, Trump said anyone who wanted to get tested can.

That seems to have been totally fictitious.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31617 on: April 14, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »

The fact you didn't find the French study in your almighty google search illustrated my initial point, Josh - that it isnt being reported. 

You said it was new.

I told you the criteria of my search. 24 hours.

It wasn't new.

And it was covered. It was even given more coverage than it merits.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/09/world/europe/09reuters-health-coronavirus-macron-doctor.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/09/controversial-french-virologist-claims-chloroquine-breakthrough/

https://www.foxnews.com/world/macron-faces-calls-to-allow-wider-use-hydroxychloroquine-in-coronavirus-fight-report

Why don't you just post the links to start with, Kid? If you heard about it from "Dr. Laura" or "Dr. Oz," at least say that to increase the ease of finding it? Or provide a quote, while pretending you wrote it, like Ward does.

Stop with the fact sanctamonious bullshit and provide the data. Though I suppose with Baoult, perhaps you didn't want to.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #31618 on: April 14, 2020, 11:58:40 AM »

I like the (Dem) governors on both coasts coordinating.
Since there has been no coordinated national response, these regional alliance make sense.  Could have happened sooner if the states knew they were going to be left on their own.  NYC metro area just cries out for multi-state coordination. 

Good for them for coming up with a useful solution to a dysfunctional and unhelpful federal gov't.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31619 on: April 14, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »

It ought to be, yes.

What is your opinion?
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 4288