Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011300 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #32580 on: April 27, 2020, 04:51:16 PM »

The ability of common sense to misconstrue nature and causality is what led Francis Bacon et al to devise the methods of modern science.   I could write a very long list of common sense beliefs that would include phlogiston, spontaneous generation, the Ptolemaic system (geocentric), Lamarckian heritability,  flat Earth, mercury as safe medicine,  and the superiority of the blue-eyed.   I promised I wouldn't respond directly to the troll a few days ago,  but wow it's impressive how it got everyone explaining the placebo effect all over again for the umpteenth time.
Barton has been a busy googler,don’t you think

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32581 on: April 27, 2020, 04:57:06 PM »

The ability of common sense to misconstrue nature and causality is what led Francis Bacon et al to devise the methods of modern science.   I could write a very long list of common sense beliefs that would include phlogiston, spontaneous generation, the Ptolemaic system (geocentric), Lamarckian heritability,  flat Earth, mercury as safe medicine,  and the superiority of the blue-eyed.   I promised I wouldn't respond directly to the troll a few days ago,  but wow it's impressive how it got everyone explaining the placebo effect all over again for the umpteenth time.
No, but thanks for playing.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #32582 on: April 27, 2020, 05:14:11 PM »

Sure the drug may have worked.
Or might not have.

You take the anecdotal evidence and run rigorous trials to understand what is real and what is placebo effect or just noise or inaccurate.

Be great if hydroxycholraquine was indeed a valid treatment, as it's relatively plentiful and cheap (I think).  And should have been around long enough that generic versions (cheap) would be permitted.  Plus it's already available throughout Africa.  Remdesivir would be more of a profit-churner, more expensive and more of a hassle to get to everyone who needs it.

Hopefully some anti-virals or donor plasma or whatever works as an effective treatment.  And vaccines come online before next flu season begins.  The medical creativity displayed in treating the virus has been impressive, from improvised ventilator through to the antibody-plasma idea.

You seek a medication that works on everyone - of course.

I have never stated that this does.

But thankfully physicians worldwide agree in its value to MANY and are thus prescribing while also being cautious

Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying...

https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/South-Dakota-to-make-hydroxychloroquine-available-despite-FDA-warnings-569936531.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #32583 on: April 27, 2020, 05:19:36 PM »

LOL!
Say.  Do Giraffes have long necks because the ones who had short ones died of starvation?
Or because the constant  stretching to reach the plentiful food higher in the trees  led to  species of long necks?

barton

« Reply #32584 on: April 27, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »

"list of common sense beliefs" was meant ironically, you were able to follow that,  right?

The examples,  including Lamarckian Theory,  were to indicate ideas once held to be "common sense" until discredited by better observations and inferences from experimental results.   

No google needed.   Top of the head stuff for most sophomore science majors.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32585 on: April 27, 2020, 05:38:57 PM »

You dont think the state senator from Michigan was helped by hydroxychloroquine?

That Brady's Michigan teammate was spared death by use of hydroxychloroquine?

You believe they'd have recovered anyway.

Noted.

You should stop putting YOUR words in other people's mouths.

He thinks we do not know. He thinks we have NO evidence of what cured them.

You want to pretend to think otherwise.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32586 on: April 27, 2020, 05:40:26 PM »

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2020/04/11/professor-didier-raoult-releases-the-results-of-a-new-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-study-on-1061-patients/

That's the same old bullshit ib]abstract[/b] that we already had, Kid, which I posted after you talked about it.

He still has not released the paper for which that is the abstract.

It's a bullshit abstract for reasons already innumerated previously. The "methods" section is not about methods. The claim is that it worked on "older" patients, but the mean age was in the 40s. Lots more.

Plus no control.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 05:42:25 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #32587 on: April 27, 2020, 05:42:15 PM »

By the way, perhaps my favorite fact in all the world is this: Francis Bacon died of pneumonia supposedly contracted from experimenting with ice and snow as a means of preserving meat, making him both Empiricism's founder and its first victim.

I realize that may not be how one contracts pneumonia. I do not care any more than I care how his mother's maiden name was actually pronounced. She will always be Anne Cooke Bacon to me.

He.was also at one time MP from Middlesex. I will leave that joke to others.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #32588 on: April 27, 2020, 05:43:44 PM »

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2020/04/11/professor-didier-raoult-releases-the-results-of-a-new-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-study-on-1061-patients/

That's the same old bullshit ib]abstract[/b] that we already had, Kid, which I posted after you talked about it.

He still has not released the paper for which that is the abstract.

It's a bullshit abstract for reasons already innumerated previously. The "methods" section is not about methods. The claim is that it worked on "older" patients, but the mean age was in the 40s. Lots more.

Plus no control.
Your assumption that kiid appreciates the difference may not be justified.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32589 on: April 27, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »

You dont think the state senator from Michigan was helped by hydroxychloroquine?

Noted.
You have the analysis backwards. Do you have any evidence other than temporal coincidence, that the Trump wonder drug you have touted in order to help get him reelected helped their recovery, let alone saved their lives.

Yes

The evidence is in common sense.

Why do you rebel so against the idea that the drug may have worked?

The idea is fine.

It's the evidence that is lacking.

"Common sense" is a lot of things. Evidence is not among them. And two weeks after he released his abstract, he still has not submitted the paper for peer review.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32590 on: April 27, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »

There’s not enough testing. Ohio will suffer a trump death spike like Georgia and other badly run states.

Noted.
You have the analysis backwards. Do you have any evidence other than temporal coincidence, that the Trump wonder drug you have touted in order to help get him reelected helped their recovery, let alone saved their lives.

Kiid just wants trump to be right about one thing, anything at all really. Since this has never happened once in trump’s adult life, Kiid is really grasping at straws.

We’re passing US deaths in the Vietnam War today. Tomorrow, stingy Mitch’s corporate bailout reload will be once again out of money. Millions more Americans will have completed registering their job losses this Thursday. The republicans are proceeding in a methodical and cowardly way to dismantle America killing as many of our people as possible to avoid the repercussions of their lies.

January 2017:

"I, Donald J. Trump, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

April 2020:

“I was being sarcastic.”

ROFLMAO!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32591 on: April 27, 2020, 05:46:39 PM »

New York State begins investigation today into why COvID-19 patients were sent back to nursing homes.  (I'd think NJ may wish to do the same)

Maybe Trump should have taken control of this as well.

"as well"

He has taken control of nothing but those so-called briefings that he used as campaign rallies. Badly, but his intent was to use them for his campaign.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32592 on: April 27, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »

Sure the drug may have worked.
Or might not have.

You take the anecdotal evidence and run rigorous trials to understand what is real and what is placebo effect or just noise or inaccurate.

Be great if hydroxycholraquine was indeed a valid treatment, as it's relatively plentiful and cheap (I think).  And should have been around long enough that generic versions (cheap) would be permitted.  Plus it's already available throughout Africa.  Remdesivir would be more of a profit-churner, more expensive and more of a hassle to get to everyone who needs it.

Hopefully some anti-virals or donor plasma or whatever works as an effective treatment.  And vaccines come online before next flu season begins.  The medical creativity displayed in treating the virus has been impressive, from improvised ventilator through to the antibody-plasma idea.

You seek a medication that works on everyone - of course.

I have never stated that this does.

But thankfully physicians worldwide agree in its value to MANY and are thus prescribing while also being cautious

Many have not been cautious.

Nobody expects a drug to work for everybody, asshole.

What we expect is EVIDENCE, not ANECDOTES.

We want something more than belief. We get that you are faith-based, not logic-based.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32593 on: April 27, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »

LOL!
Say.  Do Giraffes have long necks because the ones who had short ones died of starvation?
Or because the constant  stretching to reach the plentiful food higher in the trees  led to  species of long necks?

Oh, look! A false dichotomy being used in lieu of logic or reason!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32594 on: April 27, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »

He thinks we do not know. He thinks we have NO evidence of what cured them.

Of course we know.
Pages: 1 ... 2171 2172 [2173] 2174 2175 ... 4288