Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2207 2208 [2209] 2210 2211 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011595 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33120 on: May 03, 2020, 12:09:13 AM »

It sure is hard to see how we come out of this more united with assholes like you, Kid, or Mr. Cantrell, here, protester for hire.

But to quote somebody more famous than Ms. Winfrey, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I'd rather be a fucking loon than a fucking asshole making fun of people for wanting a better world.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33121 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:18 AM »

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you. Give him someone to blame and he’ll suck your dick and finger your bunghole.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33123 on: May 03, 2020, 01:03:27 AM »

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you. Give him someone to blame and he’ll suck your dick and finger your bunghole.”

― Lyndon B. Johnson

As Jane Elliot's Blue Eye/Brown Eye exercise demonstrated, without intending to, when we feel, and are treated as if we are, better than somebody else, our performance improves. It requires no evidence other than that repeated message and treatment.

And when we feel a,nd are treated as if we are, beneath others, our performance suffers. It requires no other evidence than that repeated message and treatment.

Elevating one, while lowering the other, will break down friendships as surely as egos.

And it is hard to let go of that attitude once you have gained it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33124 on: May 03, 2020, 01:41:14 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33126 on: May 03, 2020, 03:56:17 AM »

This is rough..,

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1256699827628511232.html

Sure is.

I missed that she now says "Oops, I didn't actually make a compiaint about sexual harrassment (let alone sexual assault). I misremembered what I filed or where I filed it or to whom."

My inclination when she came out was to believe her. She makes it very hard. And it has gone from a "He said, she said - but there may be corroborating evidence" to "She said, he said, she revised, she revised, she adjusted..." Joe hasn't claimed "but it was consensual" or "she's not pretty enough" or any such thing. He's just said, "No. It never happened."

Even if it is true, at this point Kid is the only one likely to believe her in this venue, for all that Ward may make snide comments.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33128 on: May 03, 2020, 04:55:46 AM »

Tara Reade:

“I remember talking about him wanting me to serve drinks because he liked my legs and thought I was pretty and it made me uncomfortable,” Reade said in an interview Friday with The Associated Press.

The main word I used – and I know I didn’t use sexual harassment — I used ‘uncomfortable.’

The AP interviewed Reade in 2019 after she accused Biden of uncomfortable and inappropriate touching.

During one of the April 2019 interviews with the AP, she said Biden rubbed her shoulders and neck and played with her hair. She said she was asked by an aide in Biden’s Senate office to dress more conservatively and told “don’t be so sexy.”

She said of Biden: “I wasn’t scared of him, that he was going to take me in a room or anything. It wasn’t that kind of vibe.”

Well, her story has certainly changed and evolved.  Anything contemporaneously was about Biden making her feel uncomfortable.  Last year she said that she wasn't worried about being assaulted by Biden, just that he was touchy-feely kind of creepy at times.

She hasn't come across as terribly credible.  Wonder what's behind her change of story.  Hard to see this as a big threat to Biden.  Probably mostly a chance to excuse trump's behavior and try to paint the Dems as hypocrites.

I wish some of the reporting was better/more detailed.
How long did Reade work for Biden?  What was her role/duties? How about some interviews with others who worked at the same time who can shed light on her job performance and personality and role in the office and Biden's behavior.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33129 on: May 03, 2020, 05:04:00 AM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33130 on: May 03, 2020, 06:26:21 AM »

Terrorists.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-city-ends-face-mask-rule-shoppers-after-store-employees-n1198736?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR3C2vKYe_SDhgfa-dLnl-5qvvCTUi6bIfxleH8w6EoMbCFnvwSb8MKA8H0

Deny it all you will, but threats of violence and other forms of intimidation to get the change you want is terrorism. Even when it doesn't work, let alone when it does.
Not true. 
Any government mandate for wearing a mask that results in a government citation, fine etc could face Constitutional challenges. The store owner can refuse to serve you if the mask order is the posted policy of the store.
Can the government mandate you cover your genitals? Or motorcycle helmet? And fine you if you do not?
It already does in many places.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33131 on: May 03, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »

FASCISM!
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Just Some Very Good People
« Reply #33132 on: May 03, 2020, 07:44:47 AM »

A few days ago at one of these statehouse demos I saw a photo in which someone had  a sign that read Work is Freedom.  And I thought it had definite echoes of the notoriously cynical Auschwitz sign.  Well, now someone was carrying an Arbeit Nacht Frei sign in Illinois.  Seems no accident that they are using this to harass a Jewish governor.  Others had signs comparing the Jewish Gov to Hitler.  Classy.

Otherwise I don't think you can accurately describe a governor as a dictator or fascist.  But I assume of Obama or any Dem had enacted the limited fed lockdown guidance that Trump did, they'd be branded a fascists dictator.  Even W Bush crawled out of his bathtub and said we're all in this health emergency together. 

Biden really needs to bring up the fact that the economy did very well during the Clinton Boom (a Surplus!), and recovered during the Obama era despite constant GOP sabotage.  While the economy crashed into Depression-like status under both W Bush and Trump, and the deficits shot up after they both recklessly and foolishly cut taxes.    W Bush mistakenly started a war and then mismanaged it to death.  Trump added $1T to the deficit for no reason except to try to goose the economy ahead of his reelection, then totally mishandled a health emergency that we had months of notice for.

Elections have consequences.  Stop electing incompetents. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33133 on: May 03, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »

Terrorists.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-city-ends-face-mask-rule-shoppers-after-store-employees-n1198736?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR3C2vKYe_SDhgfa-dLnl-5qvvCTUi6bIfxleH8w6EoMbCFnvwSb8MKA8H0

Deny it all you will, but threats of violence and other forms of intimidation to get the change you want is terrorism. Even when it doesn't work, let alone when it does.
Not true. 
Any government mandate for wearing a mask that results in a government citation, fine etc could face Constitutional challenges. The store owner can refuse to serve you if the mask order is the posted policy of the store.
Can the government mandate you cover your genitals? Or motorcycle helmet? And fine you if you do not?
It was a rhetorical question you blathering idiot. If the government has the power to make you wear a helmet for your safety it has the power to make you wear a mask for the public safety. It is not a close or novel proposition.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33134 on: May 03, 2020, 09:46:45 AM »

Terrorists.

Not true. 
It was a rhetorical question you blathering idiot. If the government has the power to make you wear a helmet for your safety it has the power to make you wear a mask for the public safety. It is not a close or novel proposition.
Then you aren’t paying attention.
Pages: 1 ... 2207 2208 [2209] 2210 2211 ... 4288