Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2214 2215 [2216] 2217 2218 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011295 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33225 on: May 04, 2020, 03:29:46 AM »

Trump touts the China flight ban because it's the only timely and correct decision he made.  It wasn't particularly effective, since they still allowed Americans to fly in who had been in China in the past 2 weeks.  After the flight ban, an estimated 40K arrived who had been in China.

While the strain of the virus in NYC/NJ came from Europe.  Which Trump did nothing to stop travel from until it was far too late.

The only other good Trump move with regard to the virus was sending the navy hospital ship to NYC, which wound up being disorganized at first and then not needed after all.  But still a good backup move, even if the implementation wasn't good.

Otherwise, it's just a huge FAIL by Trump, and such chaotic mismanagement. US approaching 1/3 of all world cases and 1/3 of all deaths.  A Great Success Story!
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33226 on: May 04, 2020, 04:03:07 AM »

The only other good Trump move with regard to the virus was sending the navy hospital ship to NYC, which wound up being disorganized at first and then not needed after all.  But still a good backup move, even if the implementation wasn't good.

heyyyyy attaboy

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33227 on: May 04, 2020, 04:11:27 AM »

You're just a fucking moke that doesnt really know shit.  A Monday morning QB - with arthritis

Very likely nothing was stopping the virus from getting into the dense NYC area.

If people were responsible, they will pay.  Might take some time.  You may be six feet fucking under by then, wearing a mask.

heh

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33228 on: May 04, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »

You're just a fucking moke that doesnt really know shit.  A Monday morning QB - with arthritis

Very likely nothing was stopping the virus from getting into the dense NYC area.

If people were responsible, they will pay.  Might take some time. 
Like until November 3.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33229 on: May 04, 2020, 08:46:21 AM »

If people were responsible, they will pay.  Might take some time.  You may be six feet fucking under by then, wearing a mask.

heh

“Getting great reviews, finally, for how well we are handling the pandemic, especially our strong production of desperately needed ventilators, the building of field hospitals & beds, and soon, the great things we are doing on testing. People are really working well together!”

Donald J. Trump (20 minutes ago)

Trump is toast.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #33230 on: May 04, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »

"reviews."  What a clown.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #33231 on: May 04, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »

Isley Brothers Live

Machine Gun/Ohio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquGINjigXE
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33232 on: May 04, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »

heh

“Getting great reviews, finally, for how well we are handling the pandemic, especially our strong production of desperately needed ventilators, the building of field hospitals & beds, and soon, the great things we are doing on testing. People are really working well together!”

Donald J. Trump (20 minutes ago)

Trump is toast.
You know what is true about that? The Army Corps of Engineers has been outstanding. The vents and testing has been flatly awful, months behind the curve and the need.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33233 on: May 04, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »

heh

For somebody decrying others' morbidity, you sure are fatalistic about those deaths, Kid.

And it sure is a lot easier to say "nothing we could have done to stop it," than to admit the truth - we failed to react appropriately as a country, almost anywhere, whether president or governors.

"If people were responsible, they will pay" is possibly the single biggest piece of horseshit you have ever typed upon these pages. People in politics seldom pay any substantial price for their misdeeds, whether "merely" political or actual crimes. So, Nixon "paid" by being forced out of office, while continuing to draw a handsome retirement salary and a ton of money for administrative support. He sure "paid," huh?

Kind of like how our executives in big business "pay" when their companies break laws and cost people lives.

Trump's responsible for a lot of those deaths, but good old "atta boy" Kid cannot admit it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33234 on: May 04, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »

We're at close to 69,000 dead. To get to that previous 70,000 in August prediction, we're going to need a bunch of resurrections, I think.

The president made that lower prediction last week. The week before, he said 50-60,000. Today he says 80-90,000 and that if we keep it under 100,000 we'll have done a very good job.

We're 9th in the world among those countries with more than 1,000 cases for deaths per million. “That’s one of the reasons we’re successful, if you call losing 80 or 90,000 people successful.” At least he included that last bit, along wo his more self-congratulatory bits.

Does he think we are better off being given the low ball figure and then continually seeing it rise instead of being given a realistic figure?

Or can he just not internally acknowledge the truth?
“Thirty-five thousand people on average die each year from the flu. Did anyone know that?” Trump said to the crowd. “Thirty-five thousand, that’s a lot of people. It could go to 100,000. It could be 20,000. They say usually a minimum of 27, goes up to 100,000 people a year die — and so far we have lost nobody to coronavirus in the United States.”

“Nobody,” he added. “And it doesn’t mean we won’t, and we are totally prepared. It doesn’t mean we won’t. But think of it, you hear 35 and 40,000 people, and we’ve lost nobody. You wonder if the press is in hysteria mode.”

and later:
if we can hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000 — that’s a horrible number — maybe even less, but to 100,000; so we have between 100- and 200,000 — we all, together, have done a very good job. ... “The minimum number was 100,000 lives,” Trump said of the prior estimates, “and I think we’ll be substantially under that number.”

p.s. We'll hit 80k early next week and probably 90 the week after, if not before. How he can say 90 is at all realistic is beyond me.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33235 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:15 PM »

Kid, you bitched at Bo, calling him a "Monday morning quarterback." You bitch at me for making projections. Seems like you just want everybody but you and Ward to remain silent, while you play cheerleader for Trump.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33236 on: May 04, 2020, 12:34:12 PM »

I was baffled by the slow and disorganized US response.  Couldn't believe how much nonchalance and time wasting was occurring.  If I didn't have two weeks on no computer and then a two week Mediterranean vacation, I would have been on here explaining what was going wrong in real time.  When I did return home March 3, I started hammering about the need for facemasks, and got heaps of manure from nearly everyone here.  Funny I don't hear anything about people wearing them wrong anymore.  Or other inane objections.  The farking CDC still doesn't use the term facemask, preferring to say face covering.

Lockdown started in Shanghai circa Jan 15.  When I was in Malta, the outbreaks in Northern Italy and Iran became major news circa Feb 21.  With no borders in Europe, it was clear it was going to spread there.  There was still time for the US to take strong prophylactic measures and keep the virus largely out and mostly under control.  Instead Trump did little, the tests were botched, lockdown didn't even get talked about until March 15, and face masks waited until April 1.  A tragic farce.

Horseshit.
I live in Shanghai a bigger and more dense city.
You know how many officially confirmed cases Shanghai had?
655 total cases.
619 recovered
  29 deaths
    7 active cases

My 100K hometown in NJ had way more.  Double I think.

Shanghai took strong and serious measures in a timely fashion and compliance was very good.   The whole lockdown, the subway and buses were running and people were allowed out whenever they wanted.  But masks were obligatory and most stores that were still open (mostly food and drug stores) did temp checks before you entered.  People still wear masks in public and temp checks are still fairly common.

So please explain to me why NY's 300K infections and 25K deaths were very likely inevitable, while Shanghai came through largely unscathed.

300,000 to 655
25,000 deaths to 29

Shanghai sent thousands of medical workers to Wuhan to combat the disease, as Shanghai was effectively prevented from having an outbreak.

As usual, you're full of shit ...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 12:46:21 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33237 on: May 04, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/unexpected-outcome-in-wisconsin-tens-of-thousands-of-ballots-that-arrived-after-voting-day-were-counted-thanks-to-court-decisions/2020/05/03/20c036f0-8a59-11ea-9dfd-990f9dcc71fc_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

Interesting interpretation of the SCOTUS Wisconsin ruling and its potential application to other states, especially with their changing of the Wisconsin law to allow mail-in ballots turned in on or before election day to be counted. (The one that certain people here claimed changed nothing.)

Oh, Kid? It's a pay site if you have already used up your free posts, but I would be willing to splurge on a subscription for you, if you would like.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33238 on: May 04, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »

I think it's shocking how unprepared the US was and how terrible the Trump Admin performed.  The only thing that prevented the US from looking like a Huge Failure is that most of Europe did a pretty poor job as well.

But the US had more lead time and more notice.
And still failed horribly
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2214 2215 [2216] 2217 2218 ... 4288