Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2244 2245 [2246] 2247 2248 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010760 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33675 on: May 08, 2020, 12:43:08 AM »

Going from just what you posted, these armed men chased a black man because he was running.

One got out with a shot gun

Then what happened?

I am certainly happy the younger guy is locked up.  But we went down this road and you were disappointed in the Florida case.  You need all the facts - and cannot dismiss them because he never should have been chased.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33676 on: May 08, 2020, 01:00:41 AM »

https://apnews.com/b0963829f22342cb49a00726a97f4c6b

Details some of the fine work and muckraking at various newspapers,  which garnered the Pulitzers.

That as for 2019, right?

Not what the President was talking about.
Yes, it was.

He was talking about the treatment of Flynn, way back when.
Who won the Pulitzer for that?
The Washington Post and The New York Times (2018)
Pulitzer.org.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33677 on: May 08, 2020, 01:45:59 AM »

Yes we know you are fine with white people hunting down black people .....

Seriously - what the fuck is the matter with you?  I have known you for some time.  Show some respect.

He's known you for some time...
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33678 on: May 08, 2020, 01:50:52 AM »

And my telling "half the story" hasn't been your complaint when it comes to the coronavirus numbers.

You actually were, still are telling half the story on Sweden.

Let's see. I told you the numbers (after you failed to mention them). I told you the percentages of aged. I pointed out the disparity in obesity and underlying conditions, having already separately provided the info that in the US 94% of the dead had underlying conditions arising from obesity. And I shared the unemployment rates.

Before you commented about their rules, I commented about the guidelines and that they were voluntary - oncluding an article that illustrated what that did and did not amount to.

And you? You have done next to zero research, no calculations, and no valid comparisons... and you declare that I amd telling half the story!

You're telling none of it, simply regurgitating whatever supports your erroneous point of view, with no critical consideration.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33679 on: May 08, 2020, 01:52:14 AM »

Going from just what you posted, these armed men chased a black man because he was running.

One got out with a shot gun

Then what happened?

I am certainly happy the younger guy is locked up.  But we went down this road and you were disappointed in the Florida case.  You need all the facts - and cannot dismiss them because he never should have been chased.

What happened? It's like you lose the ability to read when you want to make a point.

And for some peculiar reason, the guy they were chasing with their vehicle felt threatened by them.

Then he tried to defend himself, just like your Saint Zimmerman, only without a weapon.

If he'd been white, you would have lept to his defense. You are sooooo transparent, except to your self-delusions.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:57:59 AM by josh »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33680 on: May 08, 2020, 02:07:18 AM »

Arbery, 25, was jogging in a neighborhood outside Brunswick on February 23 when Gregory McMichael, a former police officer, and his son chased him down, authorities said.

According to a Glynn County Police report, Gregory McMichael, 64, later told officers that he thought Arbery looked like a person whom they suspected in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

After they chased down Arbery, McMichael told police, Arbery and Travis McMichael, 34, struggled over his son's shotgun. The elder McMichael told police that his son shot Arbery after the latter attacked him, according to the police report.

In the video, three shots can be heard before Arbery is seen stumbling and falling to the ground.
Gregory McMichael told Glynn County police that Arbery was suspected in "several break-ins," but no such string of crimes was reported in the weeks before the shooting. Police have yet to clarify whether Arbery is accused of any crime at a home that was being built.

and
The first shot went through Arbery's right palm, consistent with Arbery grabbing the gun barrel, Barnhill, who said he saw an autopsy report, wrote. The second shot is consistent with Travis McMichael "attempting to push the gun away from Arbery while Arbery was pulling it toward himself. The third shot, too, appears to be in a struggle over the gun," the prosecutor wrote.

Gregory McMichael had blood on his hands when police arrived, observed a Glynn County police officer, who concluded in his report that the blood came from Gregory McMichael turning Arbery's body over to check for a gun. The report does not say any were found.

The police report says a third man was involved in the chase. Merritt said he hopes that person will be arrested soon.
Merritt told CNN that Georgia's stand your ground law does not allow people to be "lying in wait."

"We don't believe that this was even arguably self-defense or a citizen's arrest, but even under their sort of peculiar theory, they can't set a trap," he said.

So, a guy leaps out of a car with a shotgun, to stop a man who was running, but not running from the car, but just running. The shotgun is pointed at the runner, who put his hand on the barrel, because he was being threatened.

The shooter did not kill in self-defense. He killed a man who was acting in self-defense.

Half-story, indeed.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33681 on: May 08, 2020, 02:09:53 AM »

You're telling none of it, simply regurgitating whatever supports your erroneous point of view, with no critical consideration.

The problm with you is that you feel with this virus, with decision makers up against a terrifying crisis that there is always a right and a wrong.

Your view on Sweden being exhibit A.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33682 on: May 08, 2020, 02:26:33 AM »

The problm with you is that you feel with this virus, with decision makers up against a terrifying crisis that there is always a right and a wrong.

Your view on Sweden being exhibit A.

The problem with you is that you think $$ is more important than lives.

There is a right and wrong with this, just as there was with the kidnapping of children at the border. Just as there is with a criminal "justice" system with prejudice against blacks influencing decisions from stops to arrests to trials to convictions to sentences to parole.

I don't always feel there is a right and wrong. But I don't invent shades of grey to defend my favorite corrupt politicians or to defend white men looking for (and finding/causing) trouble.

Your defense of Sweden has been about the elderly, with your comparison to the problems in the United States. But what you fail to understand is that it was the failure to lock down in Sweden that led to so many elderly dying.

Remember the percentages of the aged you requested (because you did not do your own work, again, which showed a whopping 2% difference between Sweden and Norway? Why did Norway's elderly not die at the same rate as Sweden's?

You talked about 300 of Sweden's dead not being elderly. Norway only has 217 dead TOTAL. 1/14th of Sweden's. Their population is more than half of Sweden's. What Sweden did was to kill thousands, unnecessarily.

It's not a particularly subtle set of rights and wrongs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/26/books/review/jennifer-l-eberhardt-biased.html

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33683 on: May 08, 2020, 02:37:28 AM »

Oh, look - Flynn case DROPPED.  Imagine that.

By William Barr's Justice Dept, imagine that.

Flynn lied about his contacts with the Russian ambassador, which meant that the Russians had some on him.  Flynn plead guilty to lying to the FBI.  Cooperated in the Mueller Russian probe to keep his son out of jail.  Flynn and son were up to shady things.  Plead Guilty.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33684 on: May 08, 2020, 02:38:42 AM »

Don't worry, Donny! Kid is with you!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33685 on: May 08, 2020, 02:39:59 AM »

Stephen Moore, a Heritage Foundation economist who informally advises Trump and other administration officials, said in an interview on Monday that he and fellow conservative economist Art Laffer had already sent their policy memo on opening states to the White House last week. The memo was based on a recent Laffer Associates study that Moore says was conducted over the course of “a couple weeks,” and is now in the hands of senior White House staff.

Have these assholes ever been right about anything?

The Krug Man openly mocks those two as charlatans and partisan hacks masquerading as economists.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33686 on: May 08, 2020, 02:51:06 AM »

There's really way too many humans . . .

A pandemic which keeps a lot of young and fertile people at home and pretty bored is maybe not the best way to lower birth rates.   Especially in countries where access to contraception is spotty.   Might be a spike nine months from now.

I've been wondering about that.  Among the more educated who plan their childbirths, you'd think folks wouldn't want to undergo a pregnancy while there's a raging global virus.  So people in wealthier countries,/more educated people would hold off.  And you'd get fewer births next year.  Though maybe offset by the underclasses who breed like rabbits no matter the conditions.  (do rabbits actually have lots of babies?  I think cat's have to be up there, they can have 2 and even 3 litters in a year.  4 or 5 per)

But in poorer countries, you could be right.  Though in poorer countries a lot of people are still working and not locking down, because they need their daily income. And if the kids are home from no-school, there's less chance to hump in a hut/shanty/small apartment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the virus reinforces the trends of fewer births among the 1st World and more among the other worlds.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33687 on: May 08, 2020, 03:19:31 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/sweden-coronavirus-chief-scientist-admits-lessons-have-been-learned.html

Really the definitive piece on the subject

You kidding me?
It's just the Swedish gov't medical people trying to explain and justify the poor job they did.

“But I have a harder time understanding those countries that closed down before they even had cases, and I think that’s going to be discussed a lot, how much that helped."

I'm not sure any country closed down before they had a case.
But that's EXACTLY what you should do.  So you end up with very few cases.
Lives saved, people not getting ill, and you can reopen in a much shorter time than if you have to deal with outbreak and spread then lockdown.

Listen to this mealy-mouthed ish:
“I don’t think anybody who is really thinking that much about this, is really sure about any strategy, because we’re all doing something that nobody did before,” Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist who has led the country’s coronavirus response

Throw up both yer hands ...

I'm tired of assholes trying to shrug off their mishandling and causing deaths.

Sweden, UK and Turkey all to varying degrees were planning to do very little to combat the virus and go for herd immunity.  Becasue it was such a dumb startegy with horrific consequences, all of them pulled back to some extent, while still not doing a lot of preventive measures. 

UK now 2nd in deaths (behind Trumpistan).  Turkey moving up the leader board in number of cases.  Sweden is a small country, but much worse off than other rather similar Scandinavian neighbors.

You can probably add in Brasil and Russia as laissez-faire responders, but I haven't really followed those countries actions.  Both seemed more just totally unprepared so they did nothing and hoped for the best or just didn't give a shit.

So far the Swedish model has been a failure.  I expect Russia, Brasil and Turkey to all get near the top in cases and deaths.  If they report accurately.  I have a bad feeling about the Indian subcontinent, but that's another story.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33688 on: May 08, 2020, 03:34:48 AM »

http://www.politico.com/interactives/2020/trump-pandemic-goals/

If only he could achieve any of them, even just one.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33689 on: May 08, 2020, 03:38:22 AM »

I think the main problem people have with the GA case is why the father & son weren't even arrested or charged with anything despite their fairly reckless behavior resulting in an unnecessary death at their armed hands.  This took place back in FEB.

(I like the weird phrase "armed hands")

Just imagine two black guys with shotguns hop in their truck and confront a white guy jogging through their neighborhood, resulting in the white guy having three holes in him and bleeding to death in the street. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2244 2245 [2246] 2247 2248 ... 4288