Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2245 2246 [2247] 2248 2249 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010775 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33690 on: May 08, 2020, 04:01:47 AM »

I don't know the details, but I was surprised when I read that many workers at elderly care facilities work at two or three different such places.  Not sure if these are cleaners, or therapists, or which jobs.  But obviously that's a recipe for spreading the virus.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33692 on: May 08, 2020, 08:23:25 AM »

The above post,  from RSW,  was posted earlier and now has been deleted and reposted,  presumably to move it up the queue.   In any case,  it now dovetails neatly with my "doo process" pun,  so I can only say job well done!   

That said,  I hope this sort of tactic doesn't catch on here.
If I thought kiid or Red gave two fucks about prosecutorial excess in any other context that would be something. But they don't. Constructing a perjury trap to turn a witness was not invented for Flynn. What was invented, apparently, was the Justice Department caring about such things.
What’s your point, if any?
Eric Holder 11 years ago did the same thing.
Was he accused of “ politicization of the Justice Department “?
No. Was Ted Steven's a close ally of Obama's who lied to the FBI in an investigation into the Obama administration and pled guilty?
I’m  sure you are trying to say something.
But here is my point.
Both Eric Holder and  Bill Barr handled similar cases of prosecutor corruption in the same manner:
They found the defendant was deprived of evidence he was entitled to use in his defense.
Both cases were dropped before sentencing by the Justice Department.

The DOJ has never dropped a case after obtaining a guilty plea.  Never.  Full stop.

And that plea was obtained so that Flynn would not be charged for being an undeclared foreign agent to Turkey. 

Naturally, the "Emails!" crew have nothing to say about Flynn attending the highest lev el of intelligence briefings in the land while no one knew he was being paid to provide info to another country (as the judge said, he sold us out.)  In fact, they want to bring him back on!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/team-trump-wants-mike-flynn-back-for-2020-sees-him-as-their-nelson-mandela
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33693 on: May 08, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »

Yes we know you are fine with white people hunting down black people .....

Seriously - what the fuck is the matter with you?  I have known you for some time.  Show some respect.

He's known you for some time...

The need to debate this tells you all you need to know about him.

What is there to debate?  The two have been charged with murder, as they should have been much sooner as all signs point to their hunting down the man armed to the teeth for no other reason than he was a black man running through their white neighborhood.

Where is the urge to defend this behavior coming from?

That was rhetorical.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33694 on: May 08, 2020, 10:35:11 AM »

The DOJ has never dropped a case after obtaining a guilty plea.  Never.  Full stop.

It has now.
Makes one wonder how many other Americans have been set up
And sent to prison.

barton

« Reply #33695 on: May 08, 2020, 10:42:52 AM »

I claim no legal expertise,  but doesn't pleading guilty mean you have openly admitted your guilt?    Help us out here,  legal experts!   I need to find ways to tart up my tautologies!

BoDiddley - I think Brazil's laissez-faire approach will result in mortality rates that will never be reported.   From what I've read,  there are many stories of mass burials leaking out of the country.   And Bolsonaro is squelching accurate death certificates by any means possible.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33696 on: May 08, 2020, 11:10:22 AM »

I don't know the details, but I was surprised when I read that many workers at elderly care facilities work at two or three different such places.  Not sure if these are cleaners, or therapists, or which jobs.  But obviously that's a recipe for spreading the virus.
Welcome to the world of the working poor. The Nurse's aides I know, who do most of the work with patients in the homes, all work multiple jobs. They do not get paid enough not to.
A parrot bit me.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #33697 on: May 08, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »

I claim no legal expertise,  but doesn't pleading guilty mean you have openly admitted your guilt?    Help us out here,  legal experts!   I need to find ways to tart up my tautologies!

BoDiddley - I think Brazil's laissez-faire approach will result in mortality rates that will never be reported.   From what I've read,  there are many stories of mass burials leaking out of the country.   And Bolsonaro is squelching accurate death certificates by any means possible.
There are certain types of pleas where you don't admit to guilt but accept that there was enough evidence to convict you. Flynn didn't use one of those pleas.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33698 on: May 08, 2020, 11:15:03 AM »

I think the main problem people have with the GA case is why the father & son weren't even arrested or charged with anything despite their fairly reckless behavior resulting in an unnecessary death at their armed hands.  This took place back in FEB.

(I like the weird phrase "armed hands")

Just imagine two black guys with shotguns hop in their truck and confront a white guy jogging through their neighborhood, resulting in the white guy having three holes in him and bleeding to death in the street.
General rule, though Georgia may be different: if you create a confrontation where you put a person in fear of his life or safety you cannot claim self defense. That is why Zimmerman claimed Trayvon Martin started talking like a gangster out of the blue, so he could deny starting the confrontation.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33699 on: May 08, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »

It has now.
Makes one wonder how many other Americans have been set up
And sent to prison.
None of whom you have ever given a shit about. The tactic is used all the time by investigators to turn small fish.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33700 on: May 08, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »

SCOTUS on Wednesday threw out the New Jersey case called Bridgegate where two state political appointees were charged with abuse of power and both pled guilty. But the UNANIMOUS Supreme Court   ruled the prosecutors made up a crime to punish political opponents. The Flynn case has different circumstances but, in essence, the Justice Department now  says the Government used its force to prosecute and punish a political opponent. The final say comes from the judge.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:25:34 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33701 on: May 08, 2020, 11:22:46 AM »

A guilty plea functions as an admission, unlike a no contest plea, and.establishes guilt for future criminal and civil actions. Flynn also admitted to the unregistered foreign agent charge, and since that has never been formally charged he could be tried for that in the future.

In addition to the plea, Flynn was required to admit in writing to the offenses he was pleading to, and to all other illegal activity he had committed, which is why the foreign agent admission.
A parrot bit me.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #33702 on: May 08, 2020, 11:30:36 AM »

SCOTUS on Wednesday threw out the New Jersey case called Bridgegate where two state political appointees were charged with abuse of power and both pled guilty. But the UNANIMOUS  ruled the prosecutors made up a crime to punish political opponents. The Flynn case has different circumstances  the Justice Department now  says the Government used its force to prosecute and punish a political opponent.
Their guilty plea is still an admission of the underlying facts. They could only appeal on the issue of whether the underlying facts constituted a crime. No one is arguing that the facts Flynn admitted did not constitute a crime. The claim was apparently that the Trump justice department charged a Trump loyalist and Trump administration official without sufficient prediction or connection between the questioning and the investigation. Because, apparently,  asking someone under investigation for contacts with Russia about contacts with Russia is not connected with the investigation about contacts with Russia.
A parrot bit me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33703 on: May 08, 2020, 11:35:11 AM »

Remember the percentages of the aged you requested (because you did not do your own work, again, which showed a whopping 2% difference between Sweden and Norway? Why did Norway's elderly not die at the same rate as Sweden's?

I never asked that.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33704 on: May 08, 2020, 11:42:37 AM »

Well, some innocent people (or people who likely can't be proven guilty do plead guilty to lesser charges for a variety of reasons.  Perhaps to avoid a heap of other charges and a potentially much longer sentence.  (especially if your poor and/or black and expect the criminal justice system to screw you over, and you can't afford a competent lawyer).  Or simply to get out of lockup if they can't make bail.

Flynn was trying to change his plea, for what that's worth.
I thought Flynn was trying to avoid having charges brought against his son, and that's why he plead guilty and cooperated.  Unless I'm misremembering.  I thought the unregistered foreign agent thing was just something they'd have if Flynn didn't cooperate as much as wanted.

In both the Flynn and Bridgegate case, there were some dirty and questionable stuff going on.  Whether a law was broken (Bridgegate) or how the people involved should be dealt with is a legal issue/judgment.

I think in the VA Gov case, the court decision actually said that bribery isn't a crime if it's your buddy and you might have taken the same helpful-to-your-friend actions anyway.  Or maybe that was the Sen. Menendez case (or both).  Menendez is one creep who should be in jail or at minimum out of office.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2245 2246 [2247] 2248 2249 ... 4288