Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2271 2272 [2273] 2274 2275 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2011942 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #34081 on: May 12, 2020, 02:32:50 AM »

And your definition of "good people" is even more broken than your standards for deciding who is "worthy" of your giving a fuck.

If you are saying that those working in the West Wing ar not good people - I think an episode of WW would help you understand the emptiness of that opinion

The one where the Republican is hired - and defends her new Dem coworkers to her friends that are ridiculing them

Bruce:  Oh, damn. I wanted you to say it to his face. I wanted to see...

Harriet : I hate these people.

Bruce : Did you meet anyone there who isn't worthless?

Ainsley Hayes : Don't say that.

Bruce : Did you meet anyone there who has any - ?

Ainsley Hayes : I said don't say that. Say they're smug and superior. Say their approach to public policy makes you want to tear your hair out. Say they like high taxes and spending your money. Say they want to take your guns and open your borders, but don't call them worthless. At least don't do it in front of me. The people that I have met have been extraordinarily qualified, their intent is good. Their commitment is true, they are righteous, and they are patriots. And I'm their lawyer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0745637/characters/nm0698346

Open your mind

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34082 on: May 12, 2020, 02:38:57 AM »

Because you don't give a damn about anybody but yourself and you lie to yourself about the poor and the vulnerable.

Certainly don't give a shit about you.  You haven't earned it.

And that's one of the major differences between us.

When I thought somebody here whom I disliked was suicidal, I looked for a way to help that one.

I don't need people to earn being cared about, Kid. If bad shit were happening to you, I would care and want to help. Or Bambi or Ward or whomever.

And it's why I rage against the mistreatment of people I have never met - and why you think my rage is dumb. You don't give a fuck for anybody who hasn't "earned it," in your oh so precious measurement of human worth.

Money is more important. Convenience is more important.

We get it.

And I would still try to help you. Because you are a human being.

You don't get it

The way you speak about not liking how Trump addresses people -

you do that here.

That is all I mean about not earning it.  Has nothing to do with disagreement on issues.

Maybe you don't realize you are doing it - and defending people who do it.  That's fine.

OMG, Kid, you are so funny.

Trump speaks disparagingly of minorities, of Mexicans, of women, of the Chinese.

You deny his racism as does Ward and as does Bambi. You either endorse his policies or refuse to try to counter them, and through your silence acquiesce to them.

I speak disparagingly of people who support putting others' lives at risk, of people who support the racist, sexist, classist bigot in the White House - people who believe that permitting that bigot to be there is good because they think it improves this country.

I confess to speaking of YOU the way I believe Trump speaks of the vulnerable and acts toward them. Talk about earning things. You want me to speak politely to you, Kid, start treating the people of the world with the respect they deserve for being alive. Start acting as if their lives actually matter. rather than their being dross.

I treated you with respect for years. I believed your bullshit requests for data that you then blew off, not the same way Ward blows it off, but blew off just as surely. I answered questions, provided supporting material, and attempted to engage in substantive conversations.

Hell, this exchange here, tonight? This is about the most meaningful exchange you have engaged in (outside of sports) in at least 5 years! And I appreciate it and am giving you thoughtful, considered response back instead of blowing you off.

Because stupidly enough, I care what you think - not about me, but about people, about the world we are in.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34083 on: May 12, 2020, 03:01:23 AM »

And your definition of "good people" is even more broken than your standards for deciding who is "worthy" of your giving a fuck.

If you are saying that those working in the West Wing ar not good people - I think an episode of WW would help you understand the emptiness of that opinion

The one where the Republican is hired - and defends her new Dem coworkers to her friends that are ridiculing them

Ainsley Hayes : I said don't say that. Say they're smug and superior. Say their approach to public policy makes you want to tear your hair out. Say they like high taxes and spending your money. Say they want to take your guns and open your borders, but don't call them worthless. At least don't do it in front of me. The people that I have met have been extraordinarily qualified, their intent is good. Their commitment is true, they are righteous, and they are patriots. And I'm their lawyer

Open your mind

Kid, I dare say I love that show more than you do, even if I do not remember it as well.

The people who Trump has brought into positions of power are more like VP Hoynes and Dr. Jenna Jacobs than like even Speaker Walken. They are rapacious, self-serving, money-grubbing fools who put pocketbook ahead of lives. Even the ones who are only greedy anti-ecology folks are severely problematic.

I speak of the lobbyists and former "captains of industry" who are in the Cabinet when they should be off the property. I speak of Kellyanne Conway, who lies with as much facility as her boss. I speak of Betsy DeVos who is as big an enemy of education as we've ever seen in the White House.

I speak of the legion of corrupt men who have come in, had a cup of coffee and left in disgrace because of their inability to respect the people of either their departments or of the country. I won't bore you with the litany of their names and disgraces.

I speak of the GOP "led" Senate that refuses to do its job and force the president to appoint directors and secretaries instead of this parade of acting thises and thats.

These are not "good people," Kid. I'm talking about the Looney Toons line of Press Secretaries and Communications Directors who should never have been handed a mic or allowed near a podium, even when they had half a clue, like Ms. Huckabee Sanders, vs. Ms. Grisham who would not know a fact if it were tied to her pinky finger.

I have no idea who the Trump White House equivalents of Josh or Ainsley are, let alone the Charlies or Mrs. Landinghams might be. My guess is that the vast majority of worker bees in the 2020 Trump West Wing are perfectly reasonable human beings, though it is only a guess.

But Jeff Sessions and current AG Barr are close to the farthest things I can think of from being "good people," Kid. Their callous disregard for the well-being of the citizens and the laws of this country are  a disgrace. They make John Mitchell look like an upstanding citizen.

And a president who encourages lawlessness and violence and disruption of state government by his words should be booed every time he appears in public until he takes his marbles and goes back to his illegal single-family residence in Florida to break laws on a more personal basis, instead of a national or worldwide basis.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:09:29 AM by josh »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34084 on: May 12, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »

Needs seems to think sending the economy into a long and senseless depression through lockdowns will have some positive effect on covid-19.

Whatever you (nonsensically) think my opinion is, what I stated were facts and common sense.  Polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns and restrictions on business openings.  And the government telling businesses that they can open when their workers feel unsafe working and when their customers feel unsafe going out, will do little to nothing for the economy.

And yes, lockdowns do have a positive effect on reducing the spread of covid-19.  If you really dispute that, then your aluminum foil hat must be more like a helmet.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34085 on: May 12, 2020, 08:09:40 AM »

But he won’t recognize the overall acceleration of deaths by other causes along with ruined lives, mental illness, future generations deprived of a decent education, et al is a price we are not signing up for.
But what he is really afraid of is turning the country back into the hands of the people.

Your rank partisanship is showing. 

You applauded when Republicans were going to throw 30 million Americans off of their health insurance, a policy change that provable would have led to the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans, and poorer health outcomes for many more.

And you suddenly care about educational outcomes?  Where do you stand on free pre-K?  On school lunches?  On teacher pay?  Yeah.  Thought so.

You only recognize American deaths when you think they can be used to benefit your team politically, ignore them when they are inconvenient.  You are truly fucking sick.  The only thing sicker is that your "president" thinks exactly as you do.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34086 on: May 12, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »

Oh look! Red is pretending to care about the negative social impact of government policy again! The negative social impact of cuts to SNAP or education or mental health programs, or the attempts at the wholesale elimination of health insurance for millions of the working poor, or the impact on health and mortality from deregulation of.polluters? Hell no! Red got his tax cut!

Exactly.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34087 on: May 12, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »

Lockdowns cause more deaths and greater misery.

You keep saying that, but provide no substantiation for it. 1918 suggests you are full of crap.

And what Ward is really afraid of is heeding the voice of the people, 75% of whom oppose opening things back up, incuding 57% of the GOP. lol
Josh ignores the movement to reopen. Fortunately he is powerless to stop it.

You can't do simple math, Ward. It isn't ignoring the movement. It's recognizing that the moment isn't even 30% of the country.
LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/states-reopening-coronavirus-map/

LOL

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/many-governors-win-bipartisan-support-for-handling-of-pandemic-but-some-republicans-face-blowback-over-reopening-efforts/2020/05/11/8e98500e-93d2-11ea-9f5e-56d8239bf9ad_story.html

The survey of more than 8,000 adults reveals a wide range in the assessments of Republican governors, but not for their Democratic counterparts. The disparities appear to be linked not solely to partisanship, but also to the differing paths the governors have adopted as they seek to balance efforts to contain the spread of the virus while trying to limit the damage to their economies.

The contrast is widest in two states won by Trump in 2016. In Ohio, 86 percent of adults say they approve of the way Gov. Mike DeWine (R), who moved aggressively to close down his state and has been cautious about lifting the restrictions, has dealt with the crisis. In Georgia, 39 percent of adults approve of the performance of Gov. Brian Kemp (R), who moved less swiftly than some other governors to mitigate the spread and has been in the forefront of reopening the economy there.

---

A 74 percent majority of Americans overall say the United States should keep trying to slow the spread of the coronavirus even if it means keeping many businesses closed, while 25 percent say the country should open up businesses and get the economy going again, even if the result would be more infections.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34088 on: May 12, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »

Open your mind

Look at how many cabinet members have had to resign in disgrace for self-dealing.  Look at how many within the Trump White House are still doing it, when they think no one is watching.  Look at the incompetent response to covid-19 that gave priority to political and financial allies.  How did the "president's" son-in-law do on the middle east peace front...

Extraordinarily qualified.
Good intent.
True commitment.

If that is your borrowed definition of good people, how the fuck do you think Trump's West Wing qualifies?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34089 on: May 12, 2020, 08:31:22 AM »

Very sneaky, Obama

Trump now calls him out for treason.  I get what Barack is doing.  As Hillary floundered, he uttered, "this old fuck would never have beaten me".. So now he will make it SEEM like Trump is running against Obama, not Biden.

As the Twitter war grows, trump can only be thankful Barack cant actually be on the trail.

(unless of course Trump is right about the actions of the former president while in office)

What has the "sneaky" Obama done other than make private statements that were leaked?

Twitter war?  Obama hasn't said anything about Trump on twitter.  Closest you can get is a totally expected endorsement of Biden.

The people who keep talking about the leaked Obama statements are Republicans who still can't get over the thumping he repeatedly gave them.  Mitch MConnell says Obama "should keep his mouth shut."  Move past the totally inappropriate lack of respect the phrasing gives to a former President.  He is shaking in his boots that Obama will be active in this election.

And while he has and continues to sit back, he will be.  Moscow Mitch has every reason to be afraid.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34090 on: May 12, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »

Trump now calls him out for treason.

Its the Kavanaugh playbook, one Republicans used before him and will continue to use after.  In this case, its Kavanaugh on steroids.

Someone makes a totally plausible and credible accusation against you (in this case, that you or members of your campaign were aware of and/or working with the Russians to advance your election efforts) and as you don't have any ability to discredit the accusation (because its, you know, true) you get all red in the face and hit back at your accusers, the harder you hit and crazier the accusations the more mad you are therefore the more innocent you think you look.  And you shift focus away from the original accusations to everyone marveling at how butthurt you are.

Trump wants Americans to be distracted right now.  From Covid-19 of course.  But also away from Russian Collusion.   Not least because he wants to clear the way for the Russians to do it again.  Doing it by going after an enormously popular President who 3 of 5 Americans wish was President right now?

Only our village idiot Trump would think that is a good idea.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34091 on: May 12, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »

Kid, I dare say I love that show more than you do, even if I do not remember it as well.

The people who Trump has brought into positions of power are more like VP Hoynes and Dr. Jenna Jacobs than like even Speaker Walken. They are rapacious, self-serving, money-grubbing fools who put pocketbook ahead of lives. Even the ones who are only greedy anti-ecology folks are severely problematic.

I speak of the lobbyists and former "captains of industry" who are in the Cabinet when they should be off the property. I speak of Kellyanne Conway, who lies with as much facility as her boss. I speak of Betsy DeVos who is as big an enemy of education as we've ever seen in the White House.

I speak of the legion of corrupt men who have come in, had a cup of coffee and left in disgrace because of their inability to respect the people of either their departments or of the country. I won't bore you with the litany of their names and disgraces.

I speak of the GOP "led" Senate that refuses to do its job and force the president to appoint directors and secretaries instead of this parade of acting thises and thats.

These are not "good people," Kid. I'm talking about the Looney Toons line of Press Secretaries and Communications Directors who should never have been handed a mic or allowed near a podium, even when they had half a clue, like Ms. Huckabee Sanders, vs. Ms. Grisham who would not know a fact if it were tied to her pinky finger.

I have no idea who the Trump White House equivalents of Josh or Ainsley are, let alone the Charlies or Mrs. Landinghams might be. My guess is that the vast majority of worker bees in the 2020 Trump West Wing are perfectly reasonable human beings, though it is only a guess.

But Jeff Sessions and current AG Barr are close to the farthest things I can think of from being "good people," Kid. Their callous disregard for the well-being of the citizens and the laws of this country are  a disgrace. They make John Mitchell look like an upstanding citizen.

And a president who encourages lawlessness and violence and disruption of state government by his words should be booed every time he appears in public until he takes his marbles and goes back to his illegal single-family residence in Florida to break laws on a more personal basis, instead of a national or worldwide basis.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #34092 on: May 12, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »

Needs seems to think sending the economy into a long and senseless depression through lockdowns will have some positive effect on covid-19.

Whatever you (nonsensically) think my opinion is, what I stated were facts and common sense.  Polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns.....
43 states are reopening. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #34093 on: May 12, 2020, 09:03:44 AM »

Whatever you (nonsensically) think my opinion is, what I stated were facts and common sense.  Polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns.....
43 states are reopening.

Yes.  In some states you can now get a haircut and buy some flowers.

And polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #34094 on: May 12, 2020, 10:05:12 AM »

43 states are reopening.

Yes.  In some states you can now get a haircut and buy some flowers.

And polls show Americans overwhelmingly support lockdowns.
43 states are reopening.
Pages: 1 ... 2271 2272 [2273] 2274 2275 ... 4288