Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2274 2275 [2276] 2277 2278 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2012001 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Transmission Accomplished
« Reply #34125 on: May 12, 2020, 03:05:23 PM »

The US about to have more COVID-19 deaths than China has had reported cases.

Meanwhile, Trump trying to spin 1.3M infections and what will be more than 100K deaths as a success.
I think it''s possible to say that the administration f'ed this up without giving any credence to China's figures.
"I like your smile, and your fingertips
I like the way that you move your hips
I like the cool way you look at me
Everything about you is bringing me misery..."--Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #34127 on: May 12, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »

This is so, so very sad

There will be residual deaths not counted, as with 9/11.  Lives crushed.

But as always, "we shall overcome"

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #34128 on: May 12, 2020, 03:19:07 PM »

Biden calls Trump, "this guy" as he stumbles through Stephanopolous interview

I think independents would like it more if there was some respect shown for office.  Joe prefers to think he is the likable sort/choice.  His manner of speak should be promoting this to a greater extent.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34129 on: May 12, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »

This is so, so very sad

There will be residual deaths not counted, as with 9/11.  Lives crushed.

But as always, "we shall overcome"

To co-opt a gospel/protest/civil rights song lyric.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34130 on: May 12, 2020, 03:31:51 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #34131 on: May 12, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34132 on: May 12, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »

Republicans are more apt to say that they trust the information they get about coronavirus from Trump (84%) than they are to say they trust the information they get from Dr. Anthony Fauci (61%), the nation's top infectious disease expert, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (72%). Among Democrats, just 4% say they trust the information they get from the President, well behind the 81% who say they trust Fauci or the 80% who trust the CDC. Overall, CNN (55% trust) inspires far more trust than Fox News (35%), with those figures also divided by party.
[/size]

That bolded section is, by itself, the biggest cause of spread of COVID-19 outside of New York City.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #34133 on: May 12, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »

Biden calls Trump, "this guy" as he stumbles through Stephanopolous interview

I think independents would like it more if there was some respect shown for office.  Joe prefers to think he is the likable sort/choice.  His manner of speak should be promoting this to a greater extent.

Birth certificate...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #34136 on: May 12, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »

Open season:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/crime/2020/05/11/breonna-taylor-killing-family-hires-attorney-ahmaud-arbery-case/3108607001/

Well... you guys backed Andy Beshear so heartily.  Let's see how he acts on this.

Beshear runs Louisville PD?

He has plenty to do with a case going forward, if he so chooses

Likely his heavy hand wouldnt be needed but we'll see.  There ARE calls for Beshear to act (from your linked piece)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34137 on: May 12, 2020, 03:52:13 PM »

So much for meaningful exchange.

barton

« Reply #34138 on: May 12, 2020, 03:54:46 PM »

I don't see how they duck it, having chosen to hear it. They could rule in the president's favor, against the rule of law. They could support the rule of law.

And they can choose a third path which is designed to allow them to later support the rule of law, but protect the president until after the election, by remanding it back to a lower court to consider this or that bit of fine tuning, thereby delaying the decision until it has gone back through that court and then back to them again.

This last would be the most despicable and cowardly of them. But having thought of it, I can imagine the conservatives going for it.

I was suggesting they would punt by saying the court has no say on the matter....

Finally, the court has recently asked the lawyers in this case to brief an additional question: whether the fight between Congress and the president is a political question that the courts should stay out of.

Were the court to take that off-ramp, it would make it very difficult for any future Congress to force the president to produce information directly. But it would also mean that in this particular case, with the subpoenas still in place, Deutsche Bank and Mazars, which until now have explicitly had no objections to complying with the subpoenas, might have to comply; Trump would have no power to go to court to prevent compliance....   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #34139 on: May 12, 2020, 03:54:56 PM »

And if it isn't Trump lying, it's Mitch McConnell:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/politics/fact-check-mcconnell-obama-trump-game-plan/index.html

From the article - thanks (love that Daniel Dale, but he is being misused by CNN, as I told him on Twitter)

There are certainly valid criticisms of Obama's pandemic preparations, and it's possible to argue that the playbook was inadequate for the current pandemic. A current NSC official, whom Politico quoted anonymously, described the 2016 document as "quite dated." It's not clear who in the Trump administration saw the 69-page playbook.

But - I do think Lara Trump should stow it - and Mitch makes everyone he appears with look silly.

No room for backtracking to Obama with this virus.  Its about what is best to do today.

Also - any talk/thought of "_________ would have done this if in Trump's shoes" is politics - not helpful and totally unknown.  But we will hear about it from Joe at the debates - maybe from Barack Obama prior to that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:02:16 PM by kiidcarter8 »
Pages: 1 ... 2274 2275 [2276] 2277 2278 ... 4288