Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2350 2351 [2352] 2353 2354 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595896 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35266 on: May 27, 2020, 03:41:03 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35267 on: May 27, 2020, 04:27:48 AM »

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-carolina-news/fans-pack-stands-at-reopening-of-nc-speedway-after-sheriff-said-he-would-not-interfere/?fbclid=IwAR0Q-yAWnyfG4WlMxWCMF3Cy9krBCcAh5SA_xApiL3Sj_kEqQRTYfVAAdu4

If you thought prosperity gospel churches were doing a lot to suppress the votes of their congregants, you’ll be amazed at what happens when NASCAR adds its considerable heft to the tally of carnage.

There’s going to be a serious thinning out of committed KoolAid drinkers this summer, thanks to RWBS. Unfortunately, because of the general sloppiness, slackness, and duplicity endemic in that cultural minority, the homicide may get thicker than the suicide, as rational people either unwittingly or through profound professional obligation come in contact with these nimrods.

I was think we’d have a fall peak of around 200,000 total fatalities to the trump dumb and Covid toxic mix. I’m revising that estimate up to breaking 300K by Halloween based on events like this getting back on the calendar.

http://youtu.be/hitGT3TkP9s
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:30:21 AM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35268 on: May 27, 2020, 04:47:16 AM »

In places where it’s legal to parade around with a holstered and secured firearm, you will still get in very serious trouble for jogging down the street with the safety off and your finger on the trigger. Even in the most firearm fetishizing circles, this is universal even though whether or not it’s holstered has very little impact on public safety if there aren’t any bullets in the gun.

The same logic applies to wearing or not wearing masks.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35269 on: May 27, 2020, 07:29:50 AM »

The Atlantic piece that has Trump all bent out of shape:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/donald-trump-the-most-unmanly-president/612031/

But even if we excuse Trump for the occasional hyperbole, the fact of the matter is that Trump is an obvious coward. He has two particular phobias: powerful men and intelligent women.

Whenever he is in the company of Russian President Vladimir Putin, to take the most cringe-inducing example, he visibly cowers. His attempts to ingratiate himself with Putin are embarrassing, especially given how effortlessly Putin can bend Trump to his will. When the Russian leader got Trump alone at a summit in Helsinki, he scared him so badly that at the subsequent joint press conference, Putin smiled pleasantly while the president of the United States publicly took the word of a former KGB officer over his own intelligence agencies.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35270 on: May 27, 2020, 09:00:24 AM »

Brass Against 2020

http://youtu.be/KQOTXbty0FU

War Pigs love an invisible enemy.

Whoa!

That’s a helluva way to start the morning!

Thanks!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35271 on: May 27, 2020, 09:35:46 AM »

I can't think of a stupider way to die than going to watch car racing during an epidemic.  Although some may just get horribly sick or merely infect their families.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35272 on: May 27, 2020, 09:40:19 AM »

Here's a debate between a virus/lockdown skeptic and a reasonable person.
https://spectator.us/lockdown-wrong-matt-labash-toby-young-debate/
In the virus isn't that bad, lockdowns are first explication, almost every sentence is false or designed to sound scary.  I like the way lockdowns are associated with Red China, despite them working quite well in Free Taiwan, HK, etc.  I haven't read that far into the whole debate, but sure seems like lots of flim-flam, conjecture, inaccuracies, scare tactics on one side v. facts.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #35273 on: May 27, 2020, 09:42:43 AM »

FAC - thanks for True Dreams of Wichita.   I imagine Alan Ginsberg would have liked it.   I need to reread Wichita Vortex Sutra again,  then listen to TDoW...

Needs - that Atlantic piece,  also posted here a day or two back,  is a possible answer to the Eternal Mystery of why working class males find anything to like about Trump.   Not sure I'm ever going to understand it myself.  So long as the WCM could maintain the illusion of Trump competence and strength,  it was possible to restrict information feed and play make believe.   My take is that,  for some men who see it all crumbling around them,  nihilism becomes very seductive.  "Jews,  elitists, globalists, wetbacks and heathens have taken America's greatness.   Let's hand the manchild a pack of matches and let him burn it the rest of the way down.  Purify! "  Nihilism is seductive because it offers a way to annihilate whoever you see as the biggest threat,  with your ego whispering that you'll be left standing.

barton

« Reply #35274 on: May 27, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »

I can't think of a stupider way to die than going to watch car racing during an epidemic.  Although some may just get horribly sick or merely infect their families.

It's the whole "we're outdoors! " idiocy again.   Attending a packed indoor event would be stupider,  since air currents are usually less and UV isn't striking airborne particles.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35275 on: May 27, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »

My point ... is that this is not as much of an either/or proposition as the skeptics would have it: Obey the public health Nazis/or turn the economy back on. People will turn off the economy all by themselves when they feel there’s a decent chance they might get infected and/or die. As we’ve already seen from the near-empty malls in wide-open states.

One thing I don't get about the anti-lockdown camp is what do you do when you have a huge Wuhan outbreak, a NYC, Northern Italy?  Do you just put in a limited local lockdown.

And btw, every single thing the virus skeptic in that debate wrote about China was incorrect. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #35276 on: May 27, 2020, 10:07:22 AM »

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/hurricane-planning-coronavirus-covid-pandemic/612016/

Then storm season gives way to flu season.

The gifts of trump’s ineptitude just keep on giving. 

That’s not really fair to trump though. Ineptitude runs tip to tail through the republican party.

An ept government would have absorbed the climatological reality and lay the groundwork for moving the nation's inhabited coastal communities farther inland.  This necessary measure has been pointed out since the eighties,  but few municipalities have really faced the difficult task ahead.   Buying out owners of low-lying properties has been done a few places,  but it's a drop in the bucket. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35277 on: May 27, 2020, 10:08:57 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35278 on: May 27, 2020, 10:34:55 AM »

Talk about cherry-picking:

I accept that ‘proving’ beyond doubt that lockdowns have been ineffective isn’t easy and we’ll probably still be arguing about it in 50 years. But the preponderance of evidence certainly points that way. I’m not just thinking of the low death tolls in countries that didn’t issue stay-at-home orders such as Taiwan, Japan, Singapore and Belarus — and, yes, even Sweden compared to some other European countries.

So let's see, two island nations and a city-state where people readily comply with mask-wearing and other safe behavior, plus Europe's last dictatorship where nobody goes in or out of (a slight exaggeration, and I was actually planning a trip there this year or next).

Otherwise the reason death rates tend to be somewhat high in severe lockdown countries is that countries usually do severe lockdowns only after they have large outbreaks.  Italy, Spain, Iran, China, etc.  And notice that some places that did little such as Brasil and Turkey are moving up the case and death lists.

Kind of amazing to hear someone assert that lockdowns haven't saved lives.  Shanghai has had around 700 officially confirmed cases.  The Hubei lockdown, nearby provincial lockdowns and Shanghai largely voluntary lockdown sure kept things safe, reducing what could have been a huge outbreak, many cases, many deaths, another NYC. 

And there was no "imprisonment".  Most businesses were told to close except food and drug related and big box stores that sold essentials.  But people were free to come and go, buses and subways still ran, not that there was much to go to.  And long after the threat has really passed, 90% of people still wear masks.  Schools have reopened.  Most places except large gatherings have reopened.

100% clear to me that the Hubei and other China lockdowns saved a lot of lives.  And kept me safe.  I'd hate to see models of what might have happened without them.  And likely the rest of the world would have been fucked over badly too.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #35279 on: May 27, 2020, 10:36:48 AM »

Here's a debate between a virus/lockdown skeptic and a reasonable person.
https://spectator.us/lockdown-wrong-matt-labash-toby-young-debate/
In the virus isn't that bad, lockdowns are first explication, almost every sentence is false or designed to sound scary.  I like the way lockdowns are associated with Red China, despite them working quite well in Free Taiwan, HK, etc.  I haven't read that far into the whole debate, but sure seems like lots of flim-flam, conjecture, inaccuracies, scare tactics on one side v. facts.

Started reading,  and right away I encounter this comparison I've been seeing elsewhere in cyberspace....

But even if the figure is as high as you say, that’s still fewer Americans than died during the Asian Flu pandemic of 1957-58, estimated to have killed up to 116,000. In the second half of 1957 the Dow fell about 15 per cent, but it rebounded quickly, not least because the economy wasn’t mothballed for three months in response....   

This seems to skate by several differences between then and now.

One,  those 70-116K deaths were spread over a period of a year,  while we've had comparable numbers in a two month period. 

Two,  we did not have an electronic infrastructure in 1957 that would allow the myriad of jobs and social interactions that can now be done on the web.   

Three,  our nation's population density was considerably lower and rates of air travel were lower per capita.   This would mean fewer vectors needing restrictions.

I'll keep reading,  but I advise everyone scrutinize for flawed comparisons.
Pages: 1 ... 2350 2351 [2352] 2353 2354 ... 4288