Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2353 2354 [2355] 2356 2357 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005148 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35310 on: May 27, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.

He is an incumbent.  Of course there is a chance.

Republicans should be embarrassed that he is on the ballot.  In 2016, and now, after they looked the other way from clearly impeachable conduct.
Incumbency does have advantages. At the same time history is replete with incumbents far more competent than Trump who lost AND never had a chance.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35311 on: May 27, 2020, 03:40:59 PM »

It's been awhile since Kid has happily updated us with even Rasmussen's numbers.

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.  He is incapable of getting out of his own way.

Democrats?

How about white people?

And close to ten per cent of the brothers

Yeah but 94% of the sisters wanna kick your boy to the curb.

Here is example of ‘the brothers’ you cite.

https://twitter.com/w_terrence/status/1265639829326331906?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35312 on: May 27, 2020, 03:42:03 PM »

It's been awhile since Kid has happily updated us with even Rasmussen's numbers.

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.  He is incapable of getting out of his own way.

Democrats?

How about white people?
Do I get to criticize those black folks (by the color of their skins) that are going to vote for Trump?

OH HELL YES!

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35313 on: May 27, 2020, 03:43:06 PM »

Democrats should remain embarrassed that there's even a chance that Trump will be re-elected.

Republicans should be embarrassed that he is on the ballot.  In 2016, and now, after they looked the other way from clearly impeachable conduct.
Incumbency does have advantages. At the same time history is replete with incumbents far more competent than Trump who lost AND never had a chance.

Which kind of supports my position.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35314 on: May 27, 2020, 03:50:16 PM »

This is an odd argument.  Why isn't Trump definitely going to lose 5 months before the election as compared to people we know lost because those elections already happened?

Maybe you could point to polling that shows that Trump is not in a historically perilous position for an incumbent.  Because the polling I see indicates he is.  Which is the only historical comparison that one can make at this point.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35315 on: May 27, 2020, 03:52:36 PM »

Democrats?

How about white people?
Do I get to criticize those black folks (by the color of their skins) that are going to vote for Trump?

OH HELL YES!
Fair enough.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35316 on: May 27, 2020, 03:54:26 PM »

This is an odd argument.  Why isn't Trump definitely going to lose 5 months before the election as compared to people we know lost because those elections already happened?

Maybe you could point to polling that shows that Trump is not in a historically perilous position for an incumbent.  Because the polling I see indicates he is.  Which is the only historical comparison that one can make at this point.
At this point, Lyndon Johnson was never going to win reelection, in fact he realized it in a pretty certain way. Jimmy Carter was never going to win reelection.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:56:52 PM by Yankguy1 »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35317 on: May 27, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »

As for the Democrats should be embarrassed?  Really, not cheerleading here, but what for?

I don't see anything to be embarrassed about in the crop of candidates they put forward.  They have decided on one candidate, with a minimum of infighting, long before expected.  And while Biden has his problematic areas, a VP who helped preside over the most competently run administration in modern memory is nobody to be embarrassed about.

Maybe Democrats in Congress should have done more via oversight to bring his criminality to light?  Maybe.  But then shouldn't Republicans be embarrassed for the same, and then some?

How about the media organizations that constantly draw equivalents to outrageous Trump behavior, playing a big part in normalizing it and papering over his rank unfitness to do the job?  I think they should be embarrassed.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35318 on: May 27, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »

Lyndon Johnson was never going to win reelection. Jimmy Carter was never going to win reelection.

Carter was 8 points up in the polls in October.  Who was saying five months before the election that he had no chance? 

And yeah, naturally Johnson wasn't going to win reelection.  As I said already, its Republicans who should be embarrassed that Trump is on the ballot.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35319 on: May 27, 2020, 04:05:19 PM »

Lyndon Johnson was never going to win reelection. Jimmy Carter was never going to win reelection.

Carter was 8 points up in the polls in October.  Who was saying five months before the election that he had no chance? 

And yeah, naturally Johnson wasn't going to win reelection.  As I said already, its Republicans who should be embarrassed that Trump is on the ballot.
Carter wasn't 8 points up in October.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35320 on: May 27, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »

I think Biden wins this election only with a massive turnout. My embarrassment lies with  a belief that "well he's not Trump" is enough to get that turnout.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35321 on: May 27, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »

Carter wasn't 8 points up in October.

He was:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/110548/gallup-presidential-election-trialheat-trends-19362004.aspx#2

And as not all the numbers are listed on the graph, further confirmation:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/carter-reagan-polls/

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point would be one way or the other.  Clearly, Carter had a chance to win the Presidency, even if he was down in the polls. 

As I said, Trump is in a historically bad position for an incumbent, according to the polling.  If you have a better measure of Trump's chances in November, tell us what it is.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35322 on: May 27, 2020, 04:20:12 PM »

I think Biden wins this election only with a massive turnout. My embarrassment lies with  a belief that "well he's not Trump" is enough to get that turnout.

So you think Trump should be a shoe-in to lose because he can't get out of his own way, but think it is embarrassing that people will turn out to vote against him...

Sorry, not following.

For what its worth, here is one poll that shows Biden voters more enthusiastic to vote in 2020 than Trump supporters:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/499077-fox-news-poll-biden-leads-trump-by-8-points-nationally

You could argue that what they are really enthusiastic about is voting against Trump, if you like.  But again I don't know how that supports your argument.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35323 on: May 27, 2020, 04:26:38 PM »

Anyway...

The US has now surpassed 100,000 deaths due to Covid-19 (though we know it is likely many more than that.)

It is going to be a rough summer.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #35324 on: May 27, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »

So you think Trump should be a shoe-in to lose because he can't get out of his own way, but think it is embarrassing that people will turn out to vote against him...

Sorry, not following.

For what its worth, here is one poll that shows Biden voters more enthusiastic to vote in 2020 than Trump supporters:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/499077-fox-news-poll-biden-leads-trump-by-8-points-nationally

You could argue that what they are really enthusiastic about is voting against Trump, if you like.  But again I don't know how that supports your argument.
I have no problems voting against Trump. I don't believe that enough people feel that way to win the election for Biden. I believe a better candidate would be a shoo-in.
Pages: 1 ... 2353 2354 [2355] 2356 2357 ... 4288