Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595889 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35415 on: May 28, 2020, 09:43:09 AM »

I was thinking about Repubs with resumes who might serve in a Biden-Dem administration. Like Sen Cohen (R-Me) did as Clinton's Sec of Defense. Mitt came to mind. I also wondered about Kasich, he strikes me as a quasi-independent conservative, but at heart pretty conservative, and he might have some lucrative lobbying opportunities coming up. The always moderate Susan Collins might be looking for a job come January 2021, but she might be waiting on something Mitch McConnell promised her. She might wait a long time.

Lindsey Graham might be considered for a cabinet postion, but I heard he'd be prefer and be more comfortable a closet than a cabinet.

I just don't get this line of thinking at all.
It's like semi-surrender or self-sabotage.
Hey, we won!  Winner take all!  So lets share some of it with the losers.
F* that thinking ...

Bo-Check your sarcasm meter.

Perhaps you couldn't see my TIC because of the mask.

barton

« Reply #35416 on: May 28, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post....

It's debatable.  Some Dems see the practice as building bipartisanship and,  it's hoped,  reducing gridlock.   I would think that was Obama's approach with Chuck Hagel.   I don't recall now why Hagel didn't work out,  but I don't think it was for partisan reasons.  ATM,  Hagel is working against Trump,  speaking out against science denialists.   And was always a moderate with some integrity.   

barton

« Reply #35417 on: May 28, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »

During the SARS outbreak in 2003 there was a lot of to-do about finding the virus in raw sewage (mainly in HK) and whether that could be a possible transmission vector.
Which would be a disaster in slums outside many big cities in poor countries where basic sanitation isn't treated or even confined properly.

Trying to remember my college virology course...IIRC it's just protein fragments in poo and not active viruses. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35418 on: May 28, 2020, 09:55:39 AM »

Rank partisanship and tribalism helps Republicans.  Trump is the perfect example of why.  It takes quite a bit of shamelessness, hypocrisy and uncaring to enact Conservative policy as faithfully as Trump has.   Qualities that in a different time would be sending Trump out the door of the White House (in different times, he wouldn't have gotten close to that door) but thanks to a base that is revved up on white grievance and liberal hate (Trump retweeted a "cowboy" today who said "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat") his voters and supporters truly don't give a shit how much his policies hurt them personally. 

100,000 dead Americans and a "president" who clearly doesn't give a shit?  The only force powerful enough to keep this guy afloat is hate.

So there is a good reason for Democrats to turn down the heat on the partisan warfare.  The trick is to not go too far, and expect a good faith response from the other side.  Biden was criticized for seemingly being ready to do that early on in his campaign.  And for good reason, as long as there are Mitch McConnell's in the GOP who stop at nothing to put party over country.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #35419 on: May 28, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »

Anyway...

The US has now surpassed 100,000 deaths due to Covid-19 (though we know it is likely many more than that.)

Despite that, It is going to be a rough GREAT summer.

Fixed

Yeah, what an error on my part!

Which of course is why the Trump Administration is hiding economic projections for the summer from the public.  Because they are so great!

White House officials have decided not to release updated economic projections this summer, opting against publishing forecasts that would almost certainly codify an administration assessment that the coronavirus pandemic has led to a severe economic downturn, according to three people with knowledge of the decision.

The White House is supposed to unveil a federal budget proposal every February and then typically provides a “mid-session review” in July or August with updated projections on economic trends such as unemployment, inflation and economic growth.

Budget experts said they were not aware of any previous White House opting against providing forecasts in this “mid-session review” document in any other year since at least the 1970s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/28/white-house-coronavirus-economic-projections/
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #35420 on: May 28, 2020, 11:37:56 AM »

There may be no Patient Zero...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/26/us-coronavirus-patient-zero-100000-deaths

It was only by looking back that California officials realized that the virus may have been spreading through the state and killing residents earlier than they had thought. Large hospitals and academic medical centers routinely preserve and store tissue samples from autopsies for six months to a year. In April, an analysis of samples from the autopsy of a 57-year-old Santa Clara woman who died suddenly in her home on 6 February revealed that she succumbed to the disease. The woman probably contracted the virus at least a week or two before she died. The fact that she had not travelled outside the country means that coronavirus was spreading within the community by mid-to-late January...

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35421 on: May 28, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »

But the won’t go quietly for as you see they are already in the process of leaving Sherman neckties in their wake.

Achtung bitches.

Auto-correct is naughty   -- I'm guessing you meant Sicilian necktie...
In case no one.answered, Sherman Neckties are what Sherman's army did with rails in Georgia. Burnt the wood, bent the stock around trees.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35422 on: May 28, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »

Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley said he was “very confident that a vaccine” for coronavirus “will be on line beginning sometime in the fall and we’ll have, the goal is to have upward of three hundred million doses by the first of January.”

“If that happens – and there is very high confidence levels that it will happen – then we will be able to immunize the military and immunize the population at large and then we will see a very very rapid decrease in this disease throughout the country and then I think we’ll get back to more normal conditions.”

From his mouth to the godz' ears.

But I fear what is far more likely will be a claim from some GOP_connected pharmaceutical company that they've done it, sometime before the election, but that sometime after the election it will prove to be as lame as Kid's favorite drug.

What, Trump's team try to manipulate the election like that?! Oh, so terribly hard to imagine, huh?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35423 on: May 28, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »

Senator Tim Kaine announced in a statement Thursday that he and his wife have tested positive for coronavirus antibodies.

“We each tested positive for coronavirus antibodies this month. While those antibodies could make us less likely to be re-infected or infect others, there is still too much uncertainty over what protection antibodies may actually provide," the Virginia senator said in a statement. "So we will keep following CDC guidelines—hand-washing, mask wearing, social distancing. We encourage others to do so as well. It shows those around you that you care about them.”

But the question then becomes who have they been in contact with during the time they had the disease, since I don't remember anybody saying Kaine had it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35424 on: May 28, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/opinions/unexpected-side-effect-less-medical-care-covid-19-welch-prasad/index.html

An interesting read about fewer surgeries, fewer ER visits, fewer (apparent) heart attacks, and more.

Thanks for that.  The US does over-medicate and over-operate.  The prostate cancer industry is scandalous and full of bad unnecessary results.  Hopefully they can study this health care lull and figure out what is unnecessary or at least low priority.  Monitoring is sometimes preferable to operating/treating.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35425 on: May 28, 2020, 12:02:40 PM »

We have just reached a very sad milestone with the coronavirus pandemic deaths reaching 100,000. To all of the families & friends of those who have passed, I want to extend my heartfelt sympathy & love for everything that these great people stood for & represent. God be with you![/size]

Asked why the President had not spoken about the milestone earlier, deputy White House press secretary Judd Deere said, “President Trump’s prayers for comfort and strength are with all of those grieving the loss of a loved one or friend.”
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 12:24:53 PM by josh »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35426 on: May 28, 2020, 12:04:59 PM »

#obamagate.
But its the Democrats that should be embarrassed?

The whole fucking country should be embarrassed that Trump is the President.
I know I am.  I tell Chinese that it's like Americans looked around and asked themselves Who would be the stupidest, worst person to be president, and then elected him.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35427 on: May 28, 2020, 12:09:02 PM »

I disagree with this position.

If a different VP might have given Hillary the votes she needed in the midwest - less than 1% more - that would have done it. And I think that could have worked. No proof, of course.

But also, VP choice can make a difference in future elections.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/28/opinions/truth-about-biden-veep-lockhart/index.html

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35428 on: May 28, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »

Cant wait to see the Cabinet

Here's a heads up kid. The projected Biden cabinet will likely be characterized by some of your ilk as fully stocked with Deep-state Dems. And I imagine they'll likely be from over the country, not just Delaware or the Kennedy School. And hopefully have a sprinkling of a few decent Repubs to present a non-partisan patina.

I could see Mitt being offered something.

ARRGH!  I hate that.  Why do Dems always put a GOPer in as Defense Sec or FBI/CIA?  Just find a qualified person in your party.  No benefit and only harm will come from having a Repub in the Cabinet or another high post.   One of the more foolish things Dems do.  makes them look more weak than bipartisan and cooperative.  Go with your convictions.  Stick with your team.

You guys are always fighting the last war.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #35429 on: May 28, 2020, 12:13:21 PM »

I was thinking about Repubs with resumes who might serve in a Biden-Dem administration. Like Sen Cohen (R-Me) did as Clinton's Sec of Defense. Mitt came to mind. I also wondered about Kasich, he strikes me as a quasi-independent conservative, but at heart pretty conservative, and he might have some lucrative lobbying opportunities coming up. The always moderate Susan Collins might be looking for a job come January 2021, but she might be waiting on something Mitch McConnell promised her. She might wait a long time.

Lindsey Graham might be considered for a cabinet postion, but I heard he'd be prefer and be more comfortable a closet than a cabinet.

I just don't get this line of thinking at all.
It's like semi-surrender or self-sabotage.
Hey, we won!  Winner take all!  So lets share some of it with the losers.
F* that thinking ...

For some reason Democrat’s think reach8ng across the aisle is an end to itself.

Republicans are bent on total domination, demographics be damned. 
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2360 2361 [2362] 2363 2364 ... 4288