Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2450 2451 [2452] 2453 2454 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998590 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36765 on: June 05, 2020, 02:03:05 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

oilcan

« Reply #36766 on: June 05, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »

Most people who are True Believers in a single issue ideology can turn fascist.   Any ideal,  no matter how lofty it starts out,  can be corrupted by a zealot.   

Rule of proletariat becomes dictatorship of proletariat.

Small government becomes gutted government.

Market freedom becomes kleptocracy. 

Pro-Life becomes sectarian and misogynistic.

Y'all can probably think of a dozen more examples.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36767 on: June 05, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »

The conspiracists are out in force these days:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bexar-county-gop-chair-suggests-floyd-killing-may-have-been-staged-to-hurt-trump/ar-BB1509bX?ocid=sf

It is a pity for her that Trump has given his last State of the Union, otherwise she could have been a featured guest.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #36768 on: June 05, 2020, 02:12:19 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bexar-county-gop-chair-suggests-floyd-killing-may-have-been-staged-to-hurt-trump/ar-BB1509bX?ocid=sf

To be an American conservative is to be a moral dyslexic.

She doesn't have to believe it. She only needs one person to believe it, and repeat it.  That's all.

Willful and premeditated ignorance.

It's protected speech.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36769 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:32 PM »

This is the world that Bambi thinks is okay and that is supported by the politicians that Kid and Ward endorse regularly. This is the world they are silent about.

I am a 45 year old white woman living in the south, and today was the first time I spoke frankly about racism with a black man.

When Ernest, my appliance repairman, came to the front door, I welcomed him in. As this was his second visit and we’d established a friendly rapport, I asked him how he was feeling in the current national climate. Naturally, he assumed I was talking about the coronavirus, because what white person actually addresses racism head on, in person, in their own home?

When Ernest realized I wanted to know about his experience with racism, he began answering my questions.

What’s it like for you on a day-to-day basis as a black man? Do cops ever give you any trouble?

The answers were illuminating.

Ernest, a middle-aged, friendly, successful business owner, gets pulled over in Myrtle Beach at least 6 times a year. He doesn’t get pulled over for traffic violations, but on the suspicion of him being a suspect in one crime or another. Mind you, he is in uniform, driving in a work van clearly marked with his business on the side. They ask him about the boxes in his car--parts and pieces of appliances. They ask to see his invoices and ask him why there is money and checks in his invoice clipboard. They ask if he’s selling drugs. These cops get angry if he asks for a badge number or pushes back in any way. Everytime he is the one who has to explain himself, although they have no real cause to question him.

Ernest used to help folks out after dark with emergencies. Not anymore. He does not work past dinnertime, not because he doesn’t need the business, but because it isn’t safe for him to be out after dark. He says “There’s nothing out there in the world for me past dark”.

Let me say that again. Ernest, a middle aged black man in uniform cannot work past dark in Myrtle Beach in 2020 because it’s not safe for him. He did not say this with any kind of agenda. It was a quiet, matter of fact truth.

A truth that needs to be heard.

When I asked Ernest what ethnic terms he gets offended at, he said that the most offensive term people use is ‘boy’. Ernest has a bachelors in electronics and an associates in HVAC. He is not a ‘boy’, and the term ‘boy’ in the south implies inferiority in station and status. He came to Myrtle Beach and got a job at Hobart. The supervisor repeatedly used the term ‘boy’. Ernest complained. After several complaints Ernest was fired.

Ernest says most white people are a little scared of him, and he’s often put in a position where he has to prove himself, as though he’s not qualified to repair appliances.

After getting a job for 2 years at Sears appliance, Ernest started his own company, one he’s been running for several years. He is the best repairman we’ve had, and has taught me about washer dryers and how to maintain them myself, even helping me with another washer/dryer set and a dishwasher without charging me. I highly recommend his company, Grand Strand Appliance.

I asked Ernest what he thought of “black bike week” in Myrtle Beach, where thousands of black people come with bullet bikes and trash our town. He says it hurts black people in our city, and he disagrees with the NAACP coming in to sue businesses that close on black bike week. He hates working that week.

Ernest doesn’t have hope that racism will change, no matter who the president is. His dad taught him “It’s a white man’s world”, and he’s done his best to live within it.
When I asked him what I could do, he said, “everyone needs to pray and realize we’re all just one country and one people”.

I am a 45 year old white woman living in the south. I can begin healing our country by talking frankly with African Americans in my world---by LISTENING to their lived experience and speaking up. I can help by actively promoting black owned businesses. That’s what I can do today. Let’s start by listening and lifting up. It’s that simple.

#listenandlift
=====

Edit: I asked Ernest if I could take his picture and post our conversation on facebook. He thought it was a great idea. As he left my house an hour later, he looked me in the eye and said, "If you ever march, or have a meeting on this topic, or want to change things in Myrtle Beach, I'll stand with you."

What a great idea. Let's begin standing together.

I certainly hope she feels better...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36770 on: June 05, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »

To be an American conservative is to be a moral dyslexic.

She doesn't have to believe it. She only needs one person to believe it, and repeat it.  That's all.

Willful and premeditated ignorance.

It's protected speech.

Texas Governor Abbott wants her to resign.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36771 on: June 05, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »

Trump approval: 38%
Trump not running this election: 42%
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:49:29 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #36772 on: June 05, 2020, 02:56:17 PM »

Thao wasn't looking away.  He knew what was happening.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-video-appears-show-george-floyd-ground-three-officers-n1217476?fbclid=IwAR1QsKaJnp-X-gze4fY3HO4PnsrlKqX6552SAjgQECzvnQH3-5uxEaApR3g

They all participated in the killing of Floyd.
This wasn't some experiment by Stanley Milgrom on authority.
They all need jail time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:58:14 PM by Kam »

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #36773 on: June 05, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »

I certainly hope she feels better...

The virtue signaling is almost as bad as the silence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36774 on: June 05, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »

Trump approval: 38%
Trump not running this election: 42%

He has to be re-elected to stay out of court without protection.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36775 on: June 05, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »

Thao wasn't looking away.  He knew what was happening.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-video-appears-show-george-floyd-ground-three-officers-n1217476?fbclid=IwAR1QsKaJnp-X-gze4fY3HO4PnsrlKqX6552SAjgQECzvnQH3-5uxEaApR3g

They all participated in the killing of Floyd.
This wasn't some experiment by Stanley Milgrom on authority.
They all need jail time.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36776 on: June 05, 2020, 03:14:48 PM »

https://twitter.com/mayorbowser/status/1268928589975695361?s=12&fbclid=IwAR2r_3FWdaVVijBC-LAxaEIgMsL9QIxAs5XKscBsQsmdxBycBGJE3I3kczY

Mayor Muriel Bowser
@MayorBowser · 2h
The section of 16th street in front of the White House is now officially “Black Lives Matter Plaza”.

Can't imagine that will thrill the "commander"-in-chief.

He might even stop attacking Senator Lisa Murkowski for a little bit to go after Mayor Bowser.

He gets bitten by Mad Dog yesterday and by Bowser today.

I guess Trump's not a dog guy.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36778 on: June 05, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »

Lest we forget...

State Supreme Court Justice Fred W. Eggert, after a six-week, nonjury trial, said prosecutors had not proved that Sullivan was "grossly negligent" in firing a second shotgun blast at Bumpurs.

Sullivan, one of six officers sent to evict Bumpurs, testified that he fired again because Bumpurs kept flailing at fellow officers with an eight-inch kitchen knife.

Prosecutors argued that the scenario was impossible, since the first blast dislodged the knife and tore off most of Bumpurs' right hand.

"At the very least, what must have happened," Eggert said, "was that even if the first shot knocked the knife out of {her} hand, the force of the blast snapped her hand back, making it appear . . . that she was still slashing. Thus, Sullivan had a reasonable basis for firing the second sho

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1987/02/27/white-officer-acquitted-in-blacks-death/6ed15125-f725-47c1-8880-ed1b52c3391a/

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36779 on: June 05, 2020, 04:53:45 PM »

This about sums it up(NSFW, if you are actually at work!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg58d8opQKA
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 2450 2451 [2452] 2453 2454 ... 4288