Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998136 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36915 on: June 06, 2020, 08:25:28 AM »

Obama 2020 needs to be on a bumper sticker on a car that never leaves the spot next to where George Floyd was murdered by police. If Biden Obama 2020 is the way that gets done, that’s fine.

OBidenbama is the kind of people who get us out of the economic free falls republicans create.

OBidenbama deescalate republicans’ fucked up wars.

OBidenbama doesn’t fall in love with Kim Jung Un or drop trou for weird uncle Vlad.

I’ve seen OBidenbama’s tax returns, all of them, for years, and I can go look again if I want to.

None of OBidenbama’s best people have pled to felonies commissioned in OBidenbama’s service.

OBidenbama know laughter and tears and work and worry and gratitude and responsibility and the terrible terrible cost of lies.

OBidenbama cares about cost and doesn’t use it as a bullshit excuse to play bully.

I could go on, but you already know all this in your bones as do hundreds of millions more, quite a few of whom are eligible to vote.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:43:17 AM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36916 on: June 06, 2020, 08:31:07 AM »

On Friday morning, Texas’ top Republican officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, had condemned four GOP chairs for proliferating conspiracy theories on Facebook. The posts, from chairs of some of the largest counties in Texas, suggested George Floyd’s death was staged to erode black support for President Donald Trump. Meanwhile, a fifth chairperson posted a racist image of a Martin Luther King Jr. quote next to a banana.

On Friday afternoon, The Texas Tribune identified similar posts from seven more GOP chairs across the state. Some of these posts suggested people who have been protesting Floyd’s death across the state and the country were being paid by Jewish billionaire George Soros — an oft-used anti-Semitic trope.

GOP county chairs are elected leaders of the Republican Party who help oversee local elections and head up county-level meetings and events. News circulating about the first five chairs’ posts sparked concern — both internal and external — about the Texas GOP.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/05/texas-gop-chairs-racist-george-floyd/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36917 on: June 06, 2020, 08:38:54 AM »

Biden gets some props for shepherding and wrangling Obamacare into existence, perhaps shaping the sharp edges in it republicans have since used to emasculate themselves. He gets props for moving Obama on gay marriage which has seriously changed the world.

Er, that's all ye got?
The process of getting Obamacare through was a huge mess, with public horse trading, blackmail by a few conservative Dems, and concessions to moderate GOPers who were never going to get on board.  I guess if Biden helped get it to the finish line, that's commendable.  But wow, was that an ugly process and made the Dems look weak and disorganized.

And the O Admin was really a bystander while gay marriage rights took hold in the states and courts, while they stayed on the sideline.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36918 on: June 06, 2020, 08:41:34 AM »

I trust Liz Warren's policy chops and judgment much more than Harris (who seems mostly motivated by ambition).  But the Veep is a fairly empty position, and Harris would get 4 years to learn how a WH works and what the POTUS can do, and then could be a formidable presence in 2024.  I could see that working out well.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36919 on: June 06, 2020, 08:51:24 AM »

The presidency amplifies and clarifies a person’s core, for better or worse. Mostly motivated by ambition is a worrying sign.

She’s an excellent Senator, but she needs to grow up for a decade or so before doing any heavier lifting.

Bush ran the Reagan administration & ran his own administration by himself while Danny Boy played in the yard. Cheney ran Shrub.

The big mistake Clinton & Obama made was that they wanted to get on with things while the rabid republican dog was still lose in the yard. The first order of business for the next administration is to put it down. I’m sorry, I should have said send it to a nice farm upstate.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36920 on: June 06, 2020, 08:55:09 AM »

To clarify, Warren is ambitious as fuck, ambitious to do some good before that damn hearse shows up. Then to get up and do some good again.

There are a few politicians clearly cut from that cloth. From my vantage point the majority of those playing today are women.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36921 on: June 06, 2020, 08:56:57 AM »

On Friday morning, Texas’ top Republican officials, including Gov. Greg Abbott, had condemned four GOP chairs for proliferating conspiracy theories on Facebook. The posts, from chairs of some of the largest counties in Texas, suggested George Floyd’s death was staged to erode black support for President Donald Trump. Meanwhile, a fifth chairperson posted a racist image of a Martin Luther King Jr. quote next to a banana.

On Friday afternoon, The Texas Tribune identified similar posts from seven more GOP chairs across the state. Some of these posts suggested people who have been protesting Floyd’s death across the state and the country were being paid by Jewish billionaire George Soros — an oft-used anti-Semitic trope.

GOP county chairs are elected leaders of the Republican Party who help oversee local elections and head up county-level meetings and events. News circulating about the first five chairs’ posts sparked concern — both internal and external — about the Texas GOP.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/05/texas-gop-chairs-racist-george-floyd/

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36922 on: June 06, 2020, 09:01:32 AM »

Biden gets some props for shepherding and wrangling Obamacare into existence, perhaps shaping the sharp edges in it republicans have since used to emasculate themselves. He gets props for moving Obama on gay marriage which has seriously changed the world.

Er, that's all ye got?
The process of getting Obamacare through was a huge mess, with public horse trading, blackmail by a few conservative Dems, and concessions to moderate GOPers who were never going to get on board.  I guess if Biden helped get it to the finish line, that's commendable.  But wow, was that an ugly process and made the Dems look weak and disorganized.

And the O Admin was really a bystander while gay marriage rights took hold in the states and courts, while they stayed on the sideline.

Teddy Roosevelt couldn’t get healthcare

FDR traded healthcare for social security and then excluded categories of beneficiaries that were primarily black

Truman gave it a shot and then gave up

JFK/LBJ got Medicare through as a compromise and even then Republicans and the AMA swore it would lead to godless communism.

Clinton... well.

BushIi sold Part D as helping seniors but the tiered system of coverage was a gift to pharmaceutical companies.

Obama/ Biden got a badly damaged ACA through and in essence did what TR, FDR, JFK, LBJ couldn’t.

Then ‘disappointed’ progressives stayed their asses home in 2010 and put the GOP back in charge of the House.

After doing his level best to gut Obamacare Evan Bayh left the Democratic Senate and went to work for the US Chamber of Commerce that spent $3 million a week against ACA throughout the summer and fall of 2009.

After five years with USCC  he ran again for Senate in Indiana. The Indiana Chamber and the USCC
went at him hammer and tongs and backed Todd Young who is the Senator from Indiana (R).

I guess Obama should have used his Green Lantern ring of power and simply willed his agenda through the Republicans and white America who woke up in July 2009 to the fact Obama was really black.

Or, as Gabby Johnson would say, “The President is a N—-(Church Bell).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:07:12 AM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36923 on: June 06, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »

I trust Liz Warren's policy chops and judgment much more than Harris (who seems mostly motivated by ambition).  But the Veep is a fairly empty position, and Harris would get 4 years to learn how a WH works and what the POTUS can do, and then could be a formidable presence in 2024.  I could see that working out well.

DO YOU HEAR YOURSELF?

Motivated by ambition?

What politician isn’t motivated by ambition?

Policy chops?

I give up.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36924 on: June 06, 2020, 09:14:19 AM »

You should give up, because you've had nothing persuasive despite infinite posts on the topic.  Your heart is way ahead of your brain on this.

I like Harris and she'd be my pick for Biden.
I'd really like to go Midwest if I felt any of them were ready or deserving.

What's Kamala's motivation?
Why does she want to be president (or VP)?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36925 on: June 06, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »

Bush ran the Reagan administration & ran his own administration by himself while Danny Boy played in the yard.

Uh, you're either young or somebody got you in a chokehold.
The Reagan Revolution was all about putting hardcore industry lobbyists in charge of agencies, bloating the military, cutting the welfare state and making sure gov't didn't work or regulate.  There were a lot of wild-eyed radicals running loose, while Bush was a moderate and wouldn't have even dreamed up half of what the Reagan Admin did.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:22:49 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36926 on: June 06, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »

All politicians are ambitious.  It is a necessary precondition to ever running for office.

The primary duty of a Vice President is to get the President elected. So is the secondary duty.
A parrot bit me.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36927 on: June 06, 2020, 10:06:13 AM »

I've learned a lot more about the George Floyd arrest/murder.
There's a good walk you through the videos and timeline NYTimes video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vksEJR9EPQ8

I'm not sure how rookie the two young cops were, but they were partners with their own police SUV and were the first to respond.  They get Floyd out of his vehicle and into handcuffs with minimal difficulty.   

Floyd does look in some distress just being handcuffed and falls to the ground when they try to get him into the police vehicle.  No doubt the police defense lawyers will try to portray Floyd as in bad health and blame that for his death.  While Chauvin wasn't there to see Floyd distressed with the handcuffs and collapsing to the ground.  And no doubt they'll bring up alcohol, drugs, Covid positive any other health issues they can find or claim.

The fact that the two junior officers were on duty together with their own vehicle and responding to calls, certainly weakens their case of being complete powerless rooks.   

Chauvin shows up after 9 minutes with Thao.  They are the 3rd police SUV to arrive.  I'm unclear where the 2nd pair is (maybe in the store getting info).  Apparently the first responding rook cops thought they were called to deal with a drunk and disorderly, and were unaware of the counterfeit allegation.

One strange incident. They get Floyd into the vehicle and then Chauvin opens the other door towards the street and drags Floyd out and onto the pavement where he'll soon die.  He was in the vehicle and pulled back out to be dominated and abused and ultimately killed.

The two young policemen were entrusted with full duties.  They kneeled on Floyd's back and legs.  They allowed Chauvin to abuse Floyd for an awfully long time while they assisted.  No wonder the charges against them were relatively strong.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36928 on: June 06, 2020, 10:08:16 AM »

All politicians are ambitious.  It is a necessary precondition to ever running for office.

Of course.
But if that's all there is, than I'm less on board.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36929 on: June 06, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »

Ambitious?

That's a fuck prerequesite for politicians with ambitions beyond the municipal level.

They eat that shit like a marathoner carb-loads before a 26 mile race.

Except pols are fucking voracious.

They also need a to be somewhat megalomanical-thinking they're the best person among 350 million for the job.

That parts' a little scary and you hope their arrogance is balanced with good will and that their not totally insane.

In any case yes Harris is ambitious and opportunistic and smart articulate and photogenic and qualified to be VP.

and she also happens to be black, which might be pretty fucking important to help getting out black voters to defeat the evil orange monster Trump.

And with a Dem-Gov in Cal there's a good chance her replacement will be a D, to support the new Biden-Harris  admin

Is Warren qualified, yup, although I think she may be too progressive for a lot of America and Trump may attack her policies

Which is fair game.

For political purposes I'd rather see him go after Harris

I don't think it will play as well

and in fact may help drive black and any Indy voters who are not yet convinved Trump's an indecent lump of shit.

Back to Warren she's solid on policy and smart and just the person to work on initiatives to help the middle class in hopefully a D-Senate  and D-House to get a D-WH to sign into law.

And Warren's ambitious too.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 10:24:53 AM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 2460 2461 [2462] 2463 2464 ... 4288