Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2461 2462 [2463] 2464 2465 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998330 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36930 on: June 06, 2020, 10:40:55 AM »

You are doing what conservatives say.

Taking the black vote for granted. It gives the rightwing to play there tune about blacks being on the “Democrat Plantation.”

What I did was address your contention that "investing" in an already loyal base is the best use of Biden's VP pick.  As I said, being just politically crass, I think that is incorrect in Biden's case.

Then, far from take it for granted, I provided evidence that the black vote is actually behind a Warren pick.  Maybe the only way to get it isn't to pick a black candidate?

It's not shoring up the percentage of voters who vote for you vs. others.

It's increasing the turnout of those self-same voters. 65.3% of white voters voted vs. 59.6% of black voters, and only 47.6% of Hispanic voters.

Increasing the black voter turnout will have more power to help than turning out more white voters. Turning out more Hispanics, obviously, too.

16% of Americans see themselves as progressive. (Or did a year ago...) 15% said liberal, 29% said moderate, and 34% said conservative. When the moderates were pushed to choose, most did, leaving a 48/47 split between conservatives and liberals.

I don't think second seat is going to motivate the shunners of moderatism - it won't give Warren a better chance of winning in 2024, if she were to run. I think the other path has a better shot of making the difference that we need.

barton

« Reply #36931 on: June 06, 2020, 11:05:43 AM »

Missed the overnight six pages, but catching up found some meaty discussion of the veep prospects.   Though still wavering meself, I take Needs point on being "crass. "   Who best gets a win for Joe.   And I figure any of them will evoke rage and slander tweets from Mousse O'Leany (am getting so tired of hearing his actual name,  that I need to improvise) so hope the pick can "go high" Michelle-style.   Purely speculative on my part,  but maybe this year is not the optimal year for former AGs or DAs.   

Still sorta like Cory but he'd need sexual reassignment surgery to qualify.   

Liz is kind of TftPo1 deal on region,  senator from the northeast but roots in the heartland.   That could somewhat soften her East Coast Lib edge.   She certainly gave glimpses of the Midwestern Mom in some of the debates.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36932 on: June 06, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »

I had posted a like thought about Booker on another forum when some questions about Harris and Klobuchar prosecutorial histories popped-up. I really like the guy, I met him a couple of times (social & local fund-raiser) and he seems real. But he's got a dick.

Unless more stuff comes up on Harris IMO the 2-spot is hers.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #36933 on: June 06, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »

I have no issues with her as VP, she'd add to the ticket, but I think she might be best as AG. 
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36934 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »

I had posted a like thought about Booker on another forum when some questions about Harris and Klobuchar prosecutorial histories popped-up. I really like the guy, I met him a couple of times (social & local fund-raiser) and he seems real. But he's got a dick.

Fucking dumb to be committed to a woman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36935 on: June 06, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »

I have no issues with her as VP, she'd add to the ticket, but I think she might be best as AG.

She's too ambitious.  : )

Not sure that the AG job gives her a sufficient political platform for future career moves.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:44:44 AM by bankshot1 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36936 on: June 06, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »

Is she qualified...experienced enough to be AG?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36937 on: June 06, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »

Love's a grand thing with the right woman.

But that's why there are divorce lawyers.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #36938 on: June 06, 2020, 11:44:06 AM »

speaking of the fairer sex

Just heard of some tawdry rumors about a shadowy senator who goes by the name "Lady G"

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #36939 on: June 06, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »

What more could you want in experience and qualifications than she has? Don't take my word for it, though.  Why don't you look it up? 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:50:19 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36940 on: June 06, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »

In America, you seem to get many years in prison for not doing much wrong.

Disproportionately longer sentences for African-American men than for white men. It's not even close. Ditto the parole rates.

I've only been trying to tell you this for a few years, now.

Are you in favor of felons being let out without bail in NY?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:03:34 PM by kiidcarter8 »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36941 on: June 06, 2020, 12:05:27 PM »

I take it you're not married?

Seriously, are you thinking of Sarah Palin as an example? Certainly politicians can box themselves into a corner, if that is your point.

Still,  I think the governor of NM is a good choice for Joey Bee.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #36942 on: June 06, 2020, 12:06:20 PM »

Is Barr?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #36943 on: June 06, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »

In America, you seem to get many years in prison for not doing much wrong.

Disproportionately longer sentences for African-American men than for white men. It's not even close. Ditto the parole rates.

I've only been trying to tell you this for a few years, now.

Are you in favor of felons being let out without bail in NY?

I'm in favor of the Constitution. How about you?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #36944 on: June 06, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »

Seriously, are you thinking of Sarah Palin as an example? Certainly politicians can box themselves into a corner, if that is your point.

WTF are you talking about?  Palin was selected from a group that included men.
Pages: 1 ... 2461 2462 [2463] 2464 2465 ... 4288