Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2469 2470 [2471] 2472 2473 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998314 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37050 on: June 07, 2020, 04:35:40 AM »

I heard proximity to trump can cause you to have to destroy a whole workday worth of PPE.

It's not true. They had workers in for only the portion of the day that Trump was there, then sent them home. The workers knew before they got there that nothing they were making was going to be used, but it was nowhere near a whole workday. Also, it wasn't PPE, it was swabs for testing.

But, yes, the orange cheeto was there as ever sans mask and making the room less sanitary. I imagine they did a ton of scrubbing once he left.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37051 on: June 07, 2020, 04:42:07 AM »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8393207/U-S-reduce-troop-numbers-Germany-U-S-official-says.html
27% reduction.
Has nothing to do with Angela Merkel, the WH assures us.

I got conflicting info.
Some sources said the US troops taken out of Germany were going to be shifted to Poland.  Others said they were coming back to the US.
These are two very different things.  For starters, the former would be a boon (and signal) to Putin.

Probably the confusion is intentional, as when Trump touted US soldiers in Syria returning to the US, when in reality most/all were merely shifted to Iraq.
Trump happy to take credit for things that perhaps sound good but don't actually occur.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37053 on: June 07, 2020, 04:55:32 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/philadelphia-inquirer-executive-editor-steps-down/index.html

I just cannot fathom how they thought "Buildings Matter, Too" was a viable headline at this point in time.

I mean, maybe if Bambi was writing it? But not otherwise. Tone deaf grossly understates the action.

The amazing thing is that he was allowed to step down instead of having been canned, loudly and publicly.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37054 on: June 07, 2020, 05:50:44 AM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/05/870019283/poll-two-thirds-think-trump-made-racial-tensions-worse-after-george-floyds-death

29% of GOP folks think Trump made them worse. 30% aren't sure.

41% of the GOP folks said they thought he had reduced tensions.

The degree of cognitive bias one would need to believe that Trump has reduced racial tensions since the death of George Floyd is almost beyond measurement.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37055 on: June 07, 2020, 06:32:00 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37056 on: June 07, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

Bo
Your lack of understanding and/or seeming intentional ignorance of NYC and how it is demographically different than other cities (SF, LA) is child-like. And your deflection of facts is disingenuous.

I've lived in Manhattan.  I've lived in Brooklyn.  I grew up 45 minutes outside NYC.  I know the area very well.

NYC is maybe the most traveled to city in the world,
Then again, maybe not.  Ever looked at a world atlas?  NYC is far from everywhere.
London & Paris get more incoming traffic than NYC (and I'm pretty sure their case and death load were significantly less).  NYC is 8th in world lists.

Hong Kong has the distinction of most traveled to city, and is as densely populated, reliant on public transport, etc. as NYC.  And HK happened to be pretty damned close to the original central China outbreak, which no one knew much of anything about at the time HK was threatened (Jan/Feb). 

The result: HK had a total of 1,103 infections and 4 deaths.
So tell me again how NYC is so unique and the virus was so inevitable ...

and it was infected for weeks and never knew it until the virus had spread. And then it exploded in a city that is massively populated, densely populated and hugely reliant on mass transportation, from a huge tri-state region. It had all the ingredients needed for quick and massive transmission. When the first outbreak was spotted north of NYC the city New Rochelle was put in lockdown immediately. But by then it was too late.

I was in Malta when the Northern Italy (and Iran) outbreaks flared up.  Circa Feb 20.  That's exactly when NY should have been preparing and implementing protective measures.  If C-19 went from China to Italy in one month, it was obvious it was heading throughout borderless Europe and on to America (which was going to get it from both Asia and Europe).

When the first New Rochelle case turned up March 2, Cuomo waited 8+ days before reacting, at which point the number of cases was over 100.  The "containment zone" they set up was too late and wholly inadequate.  A 1 mile radius that banned large gatherings essentially.  With no quarantine, no lockdown.

Again, the virus has gone from China --> Europe --> Westchester County in 6 weeks, but you don't take actions to lockdown NYC and stem or stop air travel??  There was a lot of lead time and little to nothing was done.

NYC and the US itself would have had a very very different viral outcome if when the Italy outbreak occurred, Cuomo and Trump had severely restricted, or better yet stopped, flights to/from Europe.  It's even a much different outcome if once the New Rochelle cases turned up on NYC's doorstep if strenuous and effective action was taken in NYC.  But they only went in for half measures in New Rochelle.  Oops.

You wait until you have a number of cases and the infection is already in your city and of course it's too late.  You take early protective measures and you can contain and control the disease.  For the reasons you cite about demography and travel, when the virus is raging in China and especially in Italy, you know it's coming to NYC soon enough.  So you take protective measures early and forcefully and save lives.  Didnt happen.  Slo-mo Cuomo failed.  I don't care how great a guy he was in coping with his failure. When his leadership was needed he failed, leading to tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.

1,103 cases and 4 deaths v. 200,0000 cases and 20,000 deaths*

Cuomo allowed 400,000 cases and 30,000 deaths in NY state.
And is basically responsible for a good part of the 165K cases & 12K deaths in NJ.

* for whatever reason the NY state COVID-19 website stopped providing daily number breakdowns after May 17, so I used the May 17 numbers and rounded up slightly.  https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/imm/covid-19-daily-data-summary-05172020-1.pdf

Oh Bo

So many words but you say nothing of substance.

There is nothing here but 2nd guessing months after the fact.

You leave so many doors to kick-in but I don't have the inclination to get into a week-long pissing match just to get to you're oblivious to the obvious

LSS

You ignore the political, economic, financial and social implications of Cuomo shutting down NYC before there was actual evidence of a epidemic in NYC.

Could he have acted a few days earlier, maybe, but the infection was already in the region, except given the 2-week incubation there was no real evidence of it.

You suggest he shutdown NYC in late February/early March  when there were barely any cases in the NY state.

Do you think that would have been remotely feasible?

Quarantine 20 million people, close busineses, put millions out of work, cripple the region and the US, all on a "you might get sick"?

Do you think that was remotely possible?

Maybe in a dictatorial state, but not in a demoracy. The blowback and non-compliance would have been massive and counterproductive..

I don't look or expect perfection in my politcians, I look for honest and competent and reasonable actions supported by reasons.

I think Cuomo in the absence of a national policy, and in fact a Trump admin that seemed to deny there was a pandemic, and operating with far less than perfect information about the disease, in part because of China's complicity in covering up the origins of this disease, acted reasonably.

He was a voice of empathy and reason and honesty in a dangerous vacuum created by Trump and Xi.

YMMV.

btw as you left China sometime in mid-February for stops in Europe were you checked for Covid-19?

were you quarantined as you entered Europe from China?

how many people could you have infected?

were you part of the problem?

Typhoid Bo

nice going
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:01:59 AM by bankshot1 »

barton

« Reply #37057 on: June 07, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »

Not sure why this debate on Cuomo goes from how timelines can be interpreted to personal insults.   

I would say,  overall,  implementing plans in the US that involve people's movements is akin to herding cats.   This is deeply ingrained in our culture and will always pose problems as pandemics move through.   

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:53:26 AM by barton »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37058 on: June 07, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »

Not sure why this debate on Cuomo goes from how timelines can be interpreted to personal insults.   

I would say,  overall,  implementing plans in the US that involve people's movements is akin to herding cats.   This is deeply ingrained in our culture and will always pose problems as pandemics move through.

Bo studiously ignored the practical political realities of how much the governor of 1-state can shape national policy, and all the implications that would follow, by shutting down the biggest city in the country in the absence of actual evidence.

Bo knows

not nearly as much as he thinks

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37059 on: June 07, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »

Time for Chris Wallace and about the only Fox News show I can watch

oilcan

« Reply #37060 on: June 07, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »

The China comparisons remind me...saw this a couple days ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/chinese-soccer-superstar-hao-haidong-calls-for-ouster-of-communist-party-stunning-nation/2020/06/05/9ae91df2-a6ec-11ea-898e-b21b9a83f792_story.html

If paywall woes,  probably can Google the guy's name from URL.  It's probably good for the soccer star that he's not currently residing in China.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37061 on: June 07, 2020, 11:27:29 AM »

I mostly respect bodiddley's arguments but the idea that Cuomo could have shut down air travel into New York City is totally laughable.

I think we can all understand that there is a ton that states depend on federal response for.  NYC did so on 9/11, and on COVID we are even more dependent on the Feds for big picture info, logistical coordination between states, supplies, tests...there was zero Federal response, nothing.  Still nothing of substance four months later.  Look at how inept and political the CDC has been.

We now know that Cuomo should have enacted stay at home orders (and de Blasio should have shut down the schools) two weeks earlier than they did.  It would have saved thousands of lives.  But what do you think the total lack of info and logistics on the Federal level was worth in lost time?  I'd say one to two weeks not a stretch.

New York did not lead the way on stay at home and school shutdowns in the country and they should have.  But those orders were also more complex to enact in New York than they were anywhere else, so can understand why in the absence of hard facts from the CDC (an organization that was actually spreading misinformation at the time) the call on that was delayed.

Also, take for granted that New Yorkers are hyper socially aware and do what the science tells us, but I don't think we should underestimate how Cuomo's leadership (yes after his initial missteps that made the outbreak worse than it could have been) has unified the State and led to a largely successful response.

Cuomo gets a C/C-minus for initial response (de Blasio a D) but gets an A for the handling of what came after.  I hold him accountable for the how bad things got in New York, yes.  But the notion that he should resign over it is pretty absurd.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37062 on: June 07, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »

Hundreds of thousands of NYC kids depend on the schools for their food security.  New York figured out and enacted a way of feeding them over a matter of days.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/new-york-city-school-children-free-food-coronavirus

And this was only part of it.  They also needed to figure out how to take care of the kids of thousands of front line workers who depend on the schools for child care, otherwise they couldn't have gone to work. 

Easy to say they should have shut down the schools earlier when it isn't your call and you don't understand all the ramifications and difficulties that come with that decision.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37063 on: June 07, 2020, 11:44:25 AM »

Colin Powell says Trump no longer following the Constitution and so should not be reelected:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/politics/colin-powell-donald-trump-protests-cnntv/index.html

OK, but seems to me if Trump is not following the Constitution he should resign, or be removed.

He ordered 10,000 active duty troops onto the streets of America to quell protests.  Only his cabinet and advisers managed to turn back those orders.  He is an obvious threat to our Democracy.  He needs to be removed or leave.

Now.

barton

« Reply #37064 on: June 07, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »

It's good to see a bunch of old generals and admirals popping up and rebuking Trump for his threats to democracy.

Not on this topic but wanted to post these comments from Bill Maher on the ways that "good police" do nothing...

https://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-america-gets-the-abusive-part-of-policing-but-without-the-law-and-order-part/

quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Pages: 1 ... 2469 2470 [2471] 2472 2473 ... 4288