Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 [2476] 2477 2478 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998444 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37125 on: June 07, 2020, 06:44:25 PM »

The Trump presidency ended in Lafayette Square.

That would be great.   Start the lame duck phase five months early.   Mitch should be OK with that,  right?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37126 on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:00 PM »

And similarly, we've been considering his resistance to being replaced when he loses for years.

Again, to remind you (and bankshot1) the context of the discussion is Republican resistance.  Yeah, of course we have known about Trump's authoritarian tendencies for years.  But there was a time when those concerns could be dismissed as the fever dreams of the Left.  We knew what kind of person Trump was, but someone in denial could look away.

There is no possible way to do that now. 

45% job approval.

Plenty of ways to deny it and even a few ways to approve of it.

What do you call the guy who gets 45% in a two person race?

Loser.

The Electoral College is giggling now.

He ain’t gonna pull that move again and this time he isn’t running against Hillary Clinton.
He’s running against Donald Trump.

He Thinks he’s running a Nixon “Law and Order” campaign... except Nixon wasn’t the incumbent.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Senate turns over.

6 months is a long time-IMO you cant take anything for granted.

Barr and McConnell are out of their coffins and they hunger for blood, and they're planning evil shit

and Nixon kicked McGovern's ass as an incumbent.

except the damn fool broke the law and order and didn't have to.
and had Cubans do his dirty work.

but fortunately there were a handful or repubs who said "enough is enough"

Repubs today are cowards

Trump has a political AG giving him cover to run a scam, and a in the tank R-Sentate who won't push back on anything.

and Russians who are willing to do his dirty work.

The more things change...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:57:32 PM by bankshot1 »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #37127 on: June 07, 2020, 07:00:42 PM »

Today from Terra Australis...also land of Black Lives Matter protests,

The Australian  newspaper;  Mon June 8 2020

Jacinta’s uncomfortable truths

Jacinta Price says what few dare about Aboriginal culture. But now the stakes have been raised — and she’s being warned.

By Matt Garrick

Soaked in blood, with nightclothes clinging to her skin in the thick, muggy heat, Jacinta Nampijinpa Price sprints to the nearest neighbour’s house and begs them to call the police. It is 7am, Darwin, 2008.
 Five months into a new relationship — the first since splitting with her high-school sweetheart and father of her three kids — and Price is bolting for her life. Drugs and feral outbreaks of jealousy have broken the veneer of the honeymoon period.

In the heat of the attack a lamp is hurled at her with such force that it leaves a gash requiring six stitches. “I looked at my hand, it was covered in blood and the blood was dripping down my shoulder,’’ Price recalls. “And I thought, ‘I have to get out of here because if I don’t get out of here, he’s going to kill me.’ ”

She manages to make a run for it, out the door, feet slapping the driveway of the flats where she lives, across the road and into sanctuary. “I felt like the stereotypical Aboriginal woman victim of ­violence. And I felt really degraded,” Price says now.
“Sitting in this stranger’s house, bleeding all over their floor and asking them to call an ambulance for me, and the police. I was just so glad that my kids weren’t there to witness that.”

The proud Warlpiri-Celtic woman peers at the bushland across the street from her mother’s place on the edge of the Alice Springs township. ­“Immediately there’s a stigma attached to a victim of family violence. And I felt it, straight away. And I felt like, ‘How could I let this happen to myself? Why didn’t I see this coming?’”

This would be the last time Jacinta Price would be a victim. She broke up with her boyfriend, roused her spirits and took a good hard look around her. In the mirror stood a clever young Territory woman with much to say — although it would take some years for her to articulate all that she’d seen and experienced since she was a tiny kid running through the potholed backstreets of Alice.

But soon she began to speak some uncomfortable truths. She lifted the veil on the murderers and rapists and victims in her own extended family and the kinship ties and “cultural excuses” that protect the perpetrators. She has been hailed as a fearless anti-violence warrior and at the same time has become a lightning rod for criticism. But once the lid was off she realised there was no turning back. Despite the vitriol, the scorn, the social media hate campaigns. No running away.

Jacinta’s mother, Bess Price, a former minister in the notoriously dysfunctional Adam Giles-led Northern Territory government, potters around in a back room. The walls are lined with family memorabilia: Bess catching a barra in the Top End, and meeting Barack Obama in the White House; Dave as a “don’t say hippie” young man exploring outback Central Australia; Jacinta as a bright, smiling child; and a portrait of Linawu, the brother who died of leukaemia when she was just three years old.

xxxxx

What does Jacinta say?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/people-only-care-about-indigenous-deaths-if-theres-a-white-perpetrator-jacinta-price/ar-BB159Aec?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

People only care about Indigenous deaths ‘if there’s a white perpetrator’: Jacinta Price

Alice Springs Councillor Jacinta Price has told Sky News of the “reality of the circumstances” occurring in remote communities which the weekend’s Black Lives Matter protesters “care zero for”.

Ms Price said watching the footage of the protesters and the conversations around ‘white privilege’ “make me sick to my stomach” and labelled the protesters as “narcissists” who don’t care about “anyone else’s lives than their own”.

“The idea that they can pump themselves up, make themselves feel virtuous … half the time these protesters and these supporters don’t really know what it is they’re attempting to support”.

Mr Price lambasted the “ignorance that’s being bred through the Left right now” who seemingly ignore that almost “70 per cent of Aboriginal men and women incarcerated are incarcerated for acts of violence against their loves ones”.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:08:26 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37128 on: June 07, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »

And similarly, we've been considering his resistance to being replaced when he loses for years.

Again, to remind you (and bankshot1) the context of the discussion is Republican resistance.  Yeah, of course we have known about Trump's authoritarian tendencies for years.  But there was a time when those concerns could be dismissed as the fever dreams of the Left.  We knew what kind of person Trump was, but someone in denial could look away.

45% job approval.

Loser.

The Electoral College is giggling now.

He ain’t gonna pull that move again and this time he isn’t running against Hillary Clinton.
He’s running against Donald Trump.

He Thinks he’s running a Nixon “Law and Order” campaign... except Nixon wasn’t the incumbent.

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Senate turns over.

6 months is a long time-IMO you cant take anything for granted.

Barr and McConnell are out of their coffins and they hunger for blood, and they're planning evil shit

and Nixon kicked McGovern's ass as an incumbent.

except the damn fool broke the law and order and didn't have to.
and had Cubans do his dirty work.

but fortunately there were a handful or repubs who said "enough is enough"

Repubs today are cowards

Trump has a political AG giving him cover to run a scam, and a in the tank R-Sentate who won't push back on anything.

and Russians who are willing to do his dirty work.

The more things change...

110,000 dead and climbing especially in South and Midwest

Economy is in the shitter everybody broke but the market is booming

Let them eat cake!

He literally loosed the SECRET POLICE in the capital.

Hundreds of thousands in the streets demanding the head of the incumbent.

But hey!

Business as usual, right?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37129 on: June 07, 2020, 07:11:18 PM »

Welp.

This should make Trump very very happy!

https://twitter.com/mittromney/status/1269758561720156160?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37130 on: June 07, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »

Today from Terra Australis...also land of Black Lives Matter protests,

The Australian  newspaper;  Mon June 8 2020

Jacinta’s uncomfortable truths

Jacinta Price says what few dare about Aboriginal culture. But now the stakes have been raised — and she’s being warned.

By Matt Garrick

Soaked in blood, with nightclothes clinging to her skin in the thick, muggy heat, Jacinta Nampijinpa Price sprints to the nearest neighbour’s house and begs them to call the police. It is 7am, Darwin, 2008.
 Five months into a new relationship — the first since splitting with her high-school sweetheart and father of her three kids — and Price is bolting for her life. Drugs and feral outbreaks of jealousy have broken the veneer of the honeymoon period.

In the heat of the attack a lamp is hurled at her with such force that it leaves a gash requiring six stitches. “I looked at my hand, it was covered in blood and the blood was dripping down my shoulder,’’ Price recalls. “And I thought, ‘I have to get out of here because if I don’t get out of here, he’s going to kill me.’ ”

She manages to make a run for it, out the door, feet slapping the driveway of the flats where she lives, across the road and into sanctuary. “I felt like the stereotypical Aboriginal woman victim of ­violence. And I felt really degraded,” Price says now.
“Sitting in this stranger’s house, bleeding all over their floor and asking them to call an ambulance for me, and the police. I was just so glad that my kids weren’t there to witness that.”

The proud Warlpiri-Celtic woman peers at the bushland across the street from her mother’s place on the edge of the Alice Springs township. ­“Immediately there’s a stigma attached to a victim of family violence. And I felt it, straight away. And I felt like, ‘How could I let this happen to myself? Why didn’t I see this coming?’”

This would be the last time Jacinta Price would be a victim. She broke up with her boyfriend, roused her spirits and took a good hard look around her. In the mirror stood a clever young Territory woman with much to say — although it would take some years for her to articulate all that she’d seen and experienced since she was a tiny kid running through the potholed backstreets of Alice.

But soon she began to speak some uncomfortable truths. She lifted the veil on the murderers and rapists and victims in her own extended family and the kinship ties and “cultural excuses” that protect the perpetrators. She has been hailed as a fearless anti-violence warrior and at the same time has become a lightning rod for criticism. But once the lid was off she realised there was no turning back. Despite the vitriol, the scorn, the social media hate campaigns. No running away.

Jacinta’s mother, Bess Price, a former minister in the notoriously dysfunctional Adam Giles-led Northern Territory government, potters around in a back room. The walls are lined with family memorabilia: Bess catching a barra in the Top End, and meeting Barack Obama in the White House; Dave as a “don’t say hippie” young man exploring outback Central Australia; Jacinta as a bright, smiling child; and a portrait of Linawu, the brother who died of leukaemia when she was just three years old.

xxxxx

What does Jacinta say?

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/people-only-care-about-indigenous-deaths-if-theres-a-white-perpetrator-jacinta-price/ar-BB159Aec?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

People only care about Indigenous deaths ‘if there’s a white perpetrator’: Jacinta Price

Alice Springs Councillor Jacinta Price has told Sky News of the “reality of the circumstances” occurring in remote communities which the weekend’s Black Lives Matter protesters “care zero for”.

Ms Price said watching the footage of the protesters and the conversations around ‘white privilege’ “make me sick to my stomach” and labelled the protesters as “narcissists” who don’t care about “anyone else’s lives than their own”.

“The idea that they can pump themselves up, make themselves feel virtuous … half the time these protesters and these supporters don’t really know what it is they’re attempting to support”.

Mr Price lambasted the “ignorance that’s being bred through the Left right now” who seemingly ignore that almost “70 per cent of Aboriginal men and women incarcerated are incarcerated for acts of violence against their loves ones”.

Pull up the covers and suck your thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECVGN4Bsgg

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37131 on: June 07, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »

45% job approval.

Loser.

(a) Sure, but that wasn't the topic. It was whether there were people who don't believe Trump capable of trying to stay in office even though he lost.

(b) To which I added "or who would even be in favor of it."
and
(c) There is no reason to believe it will remain a two person race.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #37132 on: June 07, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »

Pull up the covers and suck your thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECVGN4Bsgg

LOL
Her message sure seems true though.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #37133 on: June 07, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »

25th or impeachment options are just not going to happen unless Mousse O'Leany starts decapitating Girl Scouts and knocking their heads around the WH lawn with a croquet mallet.   I like joining in contemplation of the scenario, but it feels like contemplating benevolent aliens landing and taking away all our nukes:  fun but pure fantasy.   And if anyone tried,  Rethugs would make endless political hay about "purely political stunts while we need to be working together to deal with the current crisis...."  IOW,  gaslighting and hypocrisy to the max.

My point was simple enough, I thought.  If you really think Trump is ignoring the Constitution and is a threat to Democracy then you need to say more than “I’m going to vote for Biden.”
What part of the Constitution is Trump
“ ignoring”?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:55:43 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37134 on: June 07, 2020, 09:05:38 PM »

25th or impeachment options are just not going to happen unless Mousse O'Leany starts decapitating Girl Scouts and knocking their heads around the WH lawn with a croquet mallet.   I like joining in contemplation of the scenario, but it feels like contemplating benevolent aliens landing and taking away all our nukes:  fun but pure fantasy.   And if anyone tried,  Rethugs would make endless political hay about "purely political stunts while we need to be working together to deal with the current crisis...."  IOW,  gaslighting and hypocrisy to the max.

My point was simple enough, I thought.  If you really think Trump is ignoring the Constitution and is a threat to Democracy then you need to say more than “I’m going to vote for Biden.”
What part of the Constitution is Trump
“ ignoring”?

Oh, shut the fuck up

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #37135 on: June 07, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »

I think he's read the Constitution the exact same amount of times he's read the Bible.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37136 on: June 07, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »

45% job approval.

Loser.

(a) Sure, but that wasn't the topic. It was whether there were people who don't believe Trump capable of trying to stay in office even though he lost.

(b) To which I added "or who would even be in favor of it."
and
(c) There is no reason to believe it will remain a two person race.

Yeah, who?

This ain’t 2016.

Joe Biden ain’t Hillary Clinton.

Economic collapse (with booming markets)

ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE DEAD AND CLIMBING

The Secret Police and helicopters loosed on citizens engaged in their first amendment right of peaceable assembly?

Hundreds of thousands pouring into the streets across the nation in the middle of a deadly pandemic and you think a Jill Stein is out there?

Have you been watching this shitshow for the last four years?

Read the smoke signals and the klieg lights!

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #37137 on: June 07, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »

Fearful of civil war, Americans are buying guns and bunkers.

#####

No surprise to me. If I lived there I'd be doing the same thing.

The govt has lost control of the streets and therefore society.
It's scary to watch.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:05:53 PM by bambu. »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37138 on: June 07, 2020, 10:08:40 PM »

I'm not sure why.  No rule in the Constitution that says a President can't be impeached twice. 

Make no mistake - you will see it - should Trump win again in NOV

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37139 on: June 07, 2020, 10:14:32 PM »

Joe Biden ain’t Hillary Clinton.

Right

Loses the  "cuz she got ovaries" vote.
Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 [2476] 2477 2478 ... 4288