Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2476 2477 [2478] 2479 2480 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998597 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37155 on: June 07, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »

people in their early twenties went from Barack Obama to Donald Trump.

Trump   18-24 -   35%

Trump - 25-29 -    39%

Obama had 60% of each in 2012

How do those numbers for Trump show that they shifted to him or do you mean to show that they didn't shift to him?

Read the thread, for fuck's sake.

You posted it without the thread, for fuck's sake. Otherwise I would have. Nor did the posts immediately before it provide enlightenment.

Answer the question, for fuck's sake, while you are fucking anyway.

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Sad for me to say
« Reply #37156 on: June 07, 2020, 10:55:35 PM »

But I do believe Trump will still be president for another 4 years.   
By hook or by crook.   Maybe especially by crook.   
He has his supporters who
A) Will vote Trump no matter what
B) Will try to suppress the vote
C) Will occupy D.C. regardless of the outcome of the election, claiming widespread Voter FRAUD etc..

I do not see how there is a peaceful transition of power.
America is not a democracy any more.
The electoral college always made a mockery of that notion, and now the rabid Trump base will put that notion to rest permanently.

If Trump loses the Electoral College, then I would bet on a peaceful transition of power, whether or not Trump wants one, because this week he lost all chance of having the military support his remaining in power after his term is up. Without them, he is screwed if he tried to overthrow the constitution.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37158 on: June 07, 2020, 11:40:29 PM »

25th or impeachment options are just not going to happen unless Mousse O'Leany starts decapitating Girl Scouts and knocking their heads around the WH lawn with a croquet mallet.   I like joining in contemplation of the scenario, but it feels like contemplating benevolent aliens landing and taking away all our nukes:  fun but pure fantasy.   And if anyone tried,  Rethugs would make endless political hay about "purely political stunts while we need to be working together to deal with the current crisis...."  IOW,  gaslighting and hypocrisy to the max.

My point was simple enough, I thought.  If you really think Trump is ignoring the Constitution and is a threat to Democracy then you need to say more than “I’m going to vote for Biden.”
What part of the Constitution is Trump
“ ignoring”?

To use a turn of phrase you enjoy;

Why don't you ask Colin Powell?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37159 on: June 07, 2020, 11:41:15 PM »

I'm not sure why.  No rule in the Constitution that says a President can't be impeached twice. 

Make no mistake - you will see it - should Trump win again in NOV

I expect you are right.

And also expect that, like the first one, he will deserve it.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37160 on: June 07, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »

Joe Biden ain’t Hillary Clinton.

Right

Loses the  "cuz she got ovaries" vote.

For a start, multiple polls show Biden with 50% (or better) than the vote.  Not only not a mark that Clinton ever reached, but a rare mark for anyone to reach.

I know I know.  Only Rasmussen counts.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:01:19 AM by NeedsAdjustments »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37163 on: June 07, 2020, 11:47:59 PM »

I'm not sure why.  No rule in the Constitution that says a President can't be impeached twice. 

Make no mistake - you will see it - should Trump win again in NOV

Yeah
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37164 on: June 07, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »

people in their early twenties went from Barack Obama to Donald Trump.

Trump   18-24 -   35%

Trump - 25-29 -    39%

Obama had 60% of each in 2012

Did you understand these kids I’m talking grew up through elementary school with Obama as president?

Right before they hit voting age ...Trump gets elected.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37165 on: June 07, 2020, 11:52:20 PM »

C) Will occupy D.C. regardless of the outcome of the election, claiming widespread Voter FRAUD etc..

The electoral college always made a mockery of that notion, and now the rabid Trump base will put that notion to rest permanently.

If Trump loses the Electoral College, then I would bet on a peaceful transition of power, whether or not Trump wants one, because this week he lost all chance of having the military support his remaining in power after his term is up. Without them, he is screwed if he tried to overthrow the constitution.

Military occupation was never the play.  Giving congressional Republicans enough cover to claim a disputed election is the play.  Then having enough control over the military apparatus that its paralyzed.  Who is going to remove Trump if he refuses to concede and Republicans in Congress say "Yeah, there was a lot of fraud..."

This is why he is out in front calling mail-in ballots fraudulent.  Its not only because he wants to suppress their use.  He wants to invalidate an election in which they will be the deciding factor. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37166 on: June 07, 2020, 11:54:07 PM »

Achtung

Bitches

I been saying this for damn near three years.

He tried it. He failed.

The Trump presidency ended in Lafayette Square.

Before that.

Unless........

(you'd think Ol' Joe would be more than +5 by now, right?   Right?)

Snoring up your base in June as incumbent, well it don’t look good... not at all.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37167 on: June 07, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »

Right

Loses the  "cuz she got ovaries" vote.
You may want to take a glance at Trump's poll numbers among women. Especially suburban women.

To the extent Biden loses women votes, he will gain from the lower negatives and Trump no longer getting 2/3 of the "I hate both, might as well take a chance on the new guy " vote.

I think the “youth vote” shows up this year.

The real America is out in the streets.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37168 on: June 07, 2020, 11:57:53 PM »

I hope I am wrong.

So do I.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37169 on: June 08, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »

And similarly, we've been considering his resistance to being replaced when he loses for years.

Again, to remind you (and bankshot1) the context of the discussion is Republican resistance.  Yeah, of course we have known about Trump's authoritarian tendencies for years.  But there was a time when those concerns could be dismissed as the fever dreams of the Left.  We knew what kind of person Trump was, but someone in denial could look away.

There is no possible way to do that now. 

45% job approval.

Plenty of ways to deny it and even a few ways to approve of it.

What do you call the guy who gets 45% in a two person race?

Loser.

(a) Sure, but that wasn't the topic. It was whether there were people who don't believe Trump capable of trying to stay in office even though he lost.

(b) To which I added "or who would even be in favor of it."
and
(c) There is no reason to believe it will remain a two person race.

Yeah, who?

This ain’t 2016.

Jo Jorgensen, who you might say "ain't Gary Johnson."

The Libertarian Party had enough votes in the 2016 election to potentially have changed the outcome in eleven states and one congressional district. It took away from Trump, but did not give to Clinton. We don't know where those votes would have gone, but for Johnson.

In 4 or 5 of those states, the Green Party, too, had enough votes to more than make up the difference. I don't think the Greens will be as important this cycle as they were last, but I am less sanguine about the Libertarians.

I don't know what the room of people who are not following the race closely is like, Larry.

GOP May lose Senate seat in Georgia for crying out loud.

You cannot keep running numbers for 2016.

That’s like sitting behind the Maginot Line in 1939 thinking, “We good!”

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2476 2477 [2478] 2479 2480 ... 4288