Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2496 2497 [2498] 2499 2500 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997716 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37455 on: June 09, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »

And this is the tricky part, how do you know if you heard news without nuance? It could be straight reporting. I think we have to trust what we see in the world as limited a perspective as that may be, and do our best to apply common sense to it. And again, I understand you could make the same comment and we would be 180" in disagreement.

Guys, we are talking about a STATE MEDIA level of disinformation coming from the Right.

Take the case of the 75 year old man in Buffalo who was violently shoved by police and is now in critical condition in the hospital.  We all saw the horrible video.  He was assaulted, and almost killed, blood coming out of his ears as he laid on the ground.

Enter OAN, in a report that draws absurd connections between the man and "Antifa" because they contend (with no evidence, citing only "sources") that he was using his phone to monitor police scanners and to block their communications, supposedly a tactic "Antifa" uses.  It then makes the leap from that not even tenuous connection to contend that his assault was a false flag operation, staged to make the police look bad.

Watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZrdldD8yeQ

There is so much here...the total lack of sources cited for what they contend.  Then their contentions not even pointing to what they say it does.  The report title and banner headline leave no room for interpretation; he was an ANTIFA PROVOCATEUR!  No question.  And of course, therefore it means the whole attack was staged...

Then enter Trump who repeats the totally baseless speculation (ie lies) on twitter.  Rinse, repeat.  Same thing happens with FOX.  And this is EVERY DAY these guys pumping out this total bullshit.

The idea that CNN is in that category is so laughably off base and without evidence that the contention is in itself biased.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37456 on: June 09, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »

After years of living with it first hand, few Americans are still led to believe the following,

Trump would want to work with any of the best people or that they would want to work with trump.

Trump can fix anything.

Trump would want to drain the swamp he’s using to pocket public money.

Trump can negotiate anything at all effectively.

Trump’s outsider approach will make the country better in any way.

Bunkered Shitler still has support among those fearful of tribal repercussions and those in abusive relationships with media rage factory news substitutes. It’s a slice that gets smaller with every unforced error and major failure of the misadministration.

Comey had the fact that he was part of the Obama administration to lend credibility to his attacks on Clinton. Whoever trump sends out to smear Biden comes pre-flagged as a hack from a hack shop.

Could trump try many awful things to stay in power? Yes. Is he already? Yes. Could they work despite all of the above? Yes.

That is why I am strongly in favor of trump dying some time this week and taking pence with him, for the good of the nation and the world.

That is my unbiased non-partisan opinion.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37457 on: June 09, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

Cap I think Fox distorts its news shows to further a politcal view. Ailes created Fox to protect and promote Republican interests. And thats what it does. And prime time talking heads (opinion not news), Hannity, Carlson, Ingrham are totally in the Trump bag. IMO there is no objectivity on prime time Fox. Again they know they're bullshitting but they don't care. They feed the base a lot of red meat even if it ultimately gives them heart disease.

MSNBC editorial take is almost a mirror political image, but I do not think they distort facts to shape it to a political view. They promote a liberal agenda. And they are selective in their presentations. But knowing the biases I still generally trust their take 

CNN is reasonably neutral in its presentation of facts but it does have an anti-Trump feel to it. but then again Trump has been trying to destroy dissent and free speech in this country for 3 years, and has bashed CNN as fake news, so a spirited defense is IMO warranted.

and I realize you can rationalize the MSNBC/Fox biases as a wash, but one is far more toxic than the other.

I respect your viewpoint Rich. But I am still firmly of the mind that both are incredible homers for their cause/s. And both unabashedly spout out biased propaganda by the truckload.

If I ever saw a news broadcaster these days (any broadcaster) just reporting the news without try to nuance it one way or the other I think I'd fall over with shock.

If a newscaster labels a lie by Trump a lie is that bias?

If a newscaster says the 75 year old guy in Buffalo from the Catholic Worker was using a “scanner” and then flopped on purpose so he could bang his head on the sidewalk and have blood pour from his ears just to make the cops and Trump look bad, would you say that’s biased?

There’s bias but it is asymmetrical.

That is a fact.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37458 on: June 09, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »

I see what you are saying, YG

OHIO was actually even more tilted to Trump in 2016 than AZ.  But you are right - if that amount is being made up in those states - then nationally it should carry over

I think Biden should just hire Bruno and go for the 50-state sweep.

Bruno is dead and he was a rightwing nutter anyway.

I keep thinking people mean Ambassador Bruno, before I remember Kid's West Wing obsession.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37459 on: June 09, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »

Poll puts Trump down 14 points to Biden in general election showdown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-trump-down-14-points-to-biden-in-general-election-showdown

before everyone dies of c19 or police brutality

That poll - some would call it an outlier - should right itself next week

General Election: Trump vs. Biden   The Hill/HarrisX   Biden 47, Trump 37   Biden +10
General Election: Trump vs. Biden   CNN   Biden 55, Trump 41   Biden +14

Not much of an outlier.

And yes, it should correct itself, perhaps to Biden +18.

Hillary also had the election sewn up before the voting began

When you lose by 77K votes across three states with third party candidates, NYFBI leaking shit to force Comey public the day after Trump said grab them by the pussy.

Yes. It was in the bag.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37460 on: June 09, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »

Any news organization that strives for balance will on occasion be snookered by someone with a liberal viewpoint just like they are sometimes snookered by people with a conservative viewpoint(see UNO’s example of Judith Miller)

That does not mean the organization is systematically biased. Just the opposite, in fact. When the Times gets it wrong, it’s usually because their urge to both sides things normalized right-wing deception (see TomCotton editorial)

Pointing to a few times they got things wrong on the left side as proof of a liberal bias is cherry picking that proves that the argument is itself biased
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37462 on: June 09, 2020, 04:12:28 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/politics/trump-buffalo-protester-set-up-tweet/index.html

Complete refusal to lead by most GOP senators.

TWO of them gave worthwhile answers, instead of ducking. One of those even engaged in fuller, honest commentary. Most? Duck.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37463 on: June 09, 2020, 04:14:44 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/politics/trump-buffalo-protester-set-up-tweet/index.html

Complete refusal to lead by most GOP senators.

TWO of them gave worthwhile answers, instead of ducking. One of those even engaged in fuller, honest commentary. Most? Duck.

Yeah but you know Obama tweeted out total bullshit he saw on CNN all the time so...both sides do it.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37464 on: June 09, 2020, 04:16:20 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/george-floyds-lawyer-asks-united-nations-to-intervene-in-case/ar-BB15cvRn?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

George Floyd's Lawyer Asks United Nations to Intervene in Case

Ben Crump, the attorney representing George Floyd's family, has called on the United Nations to intervene and investigate the circumstances around the middle-aged black man's death and to make recommendations about law enforcement reforms.

"The United States of America has a long pattern and practice of depriving Black citizens of the fundamental human right to life ...The United States government has consistently failed to hold police accountable and did not bring Federal criminal charges even in cases with irrefutable video evidence. When a group of people of any nation have been systemically deprived of their universal human right to life by its government for decades, it must appeal to the international community for its support and to the United Nations for its intervention," Crump said.

Here's a vid of Malcolm X on TV in 1965 (being called Mr. X by the white interviewers) calling for that exact same thing.  For the UN to investigate human rights abuses in America v. black people.

I'd rather we have a "Kerner" style biparisan multi-racial commission than ask the Russians and Chinese to critique and provide solemn guidance and provide pointers to help us solve our racial problems, societal ills and the unfairness in our soceity.

But to borrow and paraphrase the musing of a wise man, "I'm sure they will mean well."

perhaps we can get North Korea's thoughts as well.

Mr Crump might be better served talking with the Biden camp than the Putin or Xi representatives.

Bi partisan?

With what Republican?

Fuck a study you know what to do.

I'm not ready to damn all Repubs, just most of them.

And I know what to do-VOTE.

And work for your self-interest

so as I've posted a few gazillion times

Strategize, organize, register voters, and VOTE.

Other than that I don't know all the the programs and reforms and resources that are needed to lead to justice and change hate to understanding.

But pols and social scientists and professors and municipal planners and communities and people might address needs and resources and how to attack the problem.

So a Biden Admin organized bi-partisan study with some inputs and thoughts from Repubs might be helpful.

And granted the list is not long, but Mitt, Gen'l Powell, George W Bush George Will, et would add some bi-partisan flavor to a fact-finding solution seeking study

I might even put Susan Collins on a short list to wring her hands in sympathy.

YMMV

fwiw my post was about Crump going to the UN where despotism and abusive governments abusing their citizens are the norm, and seeking guidance there for the problems in the US. Struck me as just bullshit PR.

Happy motoring

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:18:57 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37465 on: June 09, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »

28 states are almost certainly under-reporting cases.

I suspect that means further under-reporting of deaths, but that is not the focus of this article:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37467 on: June 09, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »

I'm not a big Sharpton fan, but he had his good stuff today.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37468 on: June 09, 2020, 04:37:03 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/george-floyds-lawyer-asks-united-nations-to-intervene-in-case/ar-BB15cvRn?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

George Floyd's Lawyer Asks United Nations to Intervene in Case

Ben Crump, the attorney representing George Floyd's family, has called on the United Nations to intervene and investigate the circumstances around the middle-aged black man's death and to make recommendations about law enforcement reforms.

"The United States of America has a long pattern and practice of depriving Black citizens of the fundamental human right to life ...The United States government has consistently failed to hold police accountable and did not bring Federal criminal charges even in cases with irrefutable video evidence. When a group of people of any nation have been systemically deprived of their universal human right to life by its government for decades, it must appeal to the international community for its support and to the United Nations for its intervention," Crump said.

Here's a vid of Malcolm X on TV in 1965 (being called Mr. X by the white interviewers) calling for that exact same thing.  For the UN to investigate human rights abuses in America v. black people.

I'd rather we have a "Kerner" style biparisan multi-racial commission than ask the Russians and Chinese to critique and provide solemn guidance and provide pointers to help us solve our racial problems, societal ills and the unfairness in our soceity.

But to borrow and paraphrase the musing of a wise man, "I'm sure they will mean well."

perhaps we can get North Korea's thoughts as well.

Mr Crump might be better served talking with the Biden camp than the Putin or Xi representatives.

Bi partisan?

With what Republican?

Fuck a study you know what to do.

I'm not ready to damn all Repubs, just most of them.

And I know what to do-VOTE.

And work for your self-interest

so as I've posted a few gazillion times

Strategize, organize, register voters, and VOTE.

Other than that I don't know all the the programs and reforms and resources that are needed to lead to justice and change hate to understanding.

But pols and social scientists and professors and municipal planners and communities and people might address needs and resources and how to attack the problem.

So a Biden Admin organized bi-partisan study with some inputs and thoughts from Repubs might be helpful.

And granted the list is not long, but Mitt, Gen'l Powell, George W Bush George Will, et would add some bi-partisan flavor to a fact-finding solution seeking study

I might even put Susan Collins on a short list to wring her hands in sympathy.

YMMV

fwiw my post was about Crump going to the UN where despotism and abusive governments abusing their citizens are the norm, and seeking guidance there for the problems in the US. Struck me as just bullshit PR.

Happy motoring

Fuck that.

The GOP and their donor class built this and all the Never Trumpets are complicit.

The GOP structure must go the way not of the Whigs but of Carthage.

Pounded to rubble, burned to ashes and then sowed in the earth with salt.

Those of good faith (and that does NOT include Senator Tremble Chin from Maine) should gather with conservatives and rid themselves of the GOP Death Cult.

They’re gonna spend time 8n the wilderness and it is well deserved.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37469 on: June 09, 2020, 04:40:09 PM »

Oooohhhhh!

This right here is the peak of CAUCASITY!

Hey, RED here’s a LOL for ya

This lawyer gonna get his client horse laughed into a life sentence.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/attorney-for-former-officer-charged-in-floyd-death-admonishes-public/ar-BB15dLQ3?ocid=spartan-ntp-feeds

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2496 2497 [2498] 2499 2500 ... 4288