Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2522 2523 [2524] 2525 2526 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997674 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37845 on: June 11, 2020, 11:44:51 AM »

Sure,  but I think the counterpoint you're getting is that we're talking about issues (public extrajudicial killings, violating the core of our democracy, etc) where people need to vent,  and speak bluntly, especially at message boards that are already fairly rough and tumble.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37846 on: June 11, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »

Fair point, and one I'll keep in mind.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37847 on: June 11, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »

Got to be deliberate that he's (a) having it in Tulsa

Nah - I think they picked it out of a hat.

Are you looking to deny Trump the right to campaign as he wishes now?

Oh, no!

Far from it, Kid!

I believe Trump has the right to campaign as he wishes, within the constraints of local/state laws.

Are you looking to deny that opening his campaign on Juneteenth (then when voices are raised pointing it out, retroactively claiming it's because Juneteenth is deeply meaningful to the Liar-in-Chief), in a city where they just handcuffed a pair of black teens ostensibly for JAYWALKING, in a city whose COVID_19 cases are still spiking is a poor idea unless his campaign is trying to be racially incendiary?

I suppose you are.

Fool.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37848 on: June 11, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »

Jefferson raped at least one of his slaves and she bore six of his children.

The historians debate the nature of his relationship with Hemmings.   While most agree now on evidence of the paternity,  I think the rape part remains conjectural. 

Edit:  fucking auto-correct

She was a slave, Barton.

There can be no consensual sex in that scenario.

No consent = rape.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37849 on: June 11, 2020, 12:46:11 PM »

The historians debate the nature of his relationship with Hemmings.   While most agree now on evidence of the paternity,  I think the rape part remains conjectural. 

I think the issue would be the impossibility of mutual consent in a sexual relationship with someone you own.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37850 on: June 11, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »

I think the issue would be the impossibility of mutual consent in a sexual relationship with someone you own.

I get that.   I'd be reluctant to jump into that issue with a narrative of Tom and Sally and their deep mutual romantic love.   If rape is defined as a sex act with any sort of coercion, vs the older definition as a violent assault, then Echo may be right.   

We're discussing it in 2020, not in the 18th or early 19th centuries, Barton.

Would you like to discuss whether slavery was all right then, since our view of it was different then? Was Columbus' conduct not problematic in your opinion? Have you shifted to moral relativism, depending on in which century the events took place?

2. In law, the carnal knowledge of a woman forcibly and against her will.
~One definition of rape in Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary.

You want to focus on forcible and debate if she was forced or not, insisting that it was a loving relationship?! And that she had the "will" to go along with it?

Do you think it started that way, even if it did end that way (which is quite debatable)?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37851 on: June 11, 2020, 12:55:36 PM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

Just so I'm clear. I am only talking about discussion here.

Yes, selective tone policing.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37852 on: June 11, 2020, 12:59:45 PM »

I believe Trump has the right to campaign as he wishes, within the constraints of local/state laws.

Excellent.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37853 on: June 11, 2020, 01:00:58 PM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

Just so I'm clear. I am only talking about discussion here.

Yes, selective tone policing.

I see you can cut and paste, and post snark, but do you have any original thoughts?

Please add them. Inquiring minds want to know what pearls of pontification they can expect from someone so obviously gifted as yourself!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37854 on: June 11, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »

Yeah

Like Reagan just happened to give a state’s rights speech in Philadelphia, Mississippi in 1980 campaign.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:10:31 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37855 on: June 11, 2020, 01:02:21 PM »

When you have sex with a woman who has no capacity to consent you raped her.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37856 on: June 11, 2020, 01:03:34 PM »

Considerate?

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37857 on: June 11, 2020, 01:04:43 PM »

Yeah

Like Reagan just happened to give a state’s rights speech in Philadelphia, Mississippi in 1989 campaign.

I hear it's a BYOB* event.

*Bring Your Own Bunker

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37858 on: June 11, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »

I'd change the name of all military bases named after Confederate military leaders.  The only one I might keep is Fort Bragg which is named after perhaps the most incompetent general to ever wear a uniform.  I think changing that name to Fort Bragg-Trump makes sense.

Bragg is the home of the 82 airborne division,

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 2522 2523 [2524] 2525 2526 ... 4288