Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2523 2524 [2525] 2526 2527 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997435 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37860 on: June 11, 2020, 01:07:37 PM »

The head of Trump's Coronavirus task force posts picture of his campaign staff flagrantly violating Virginia Coronavirus health guidelines:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/politics/mike-pence-2020-election-coronavirus/index.html

But keep telling me these are good people.

(For second day in a row, note how they put the Black dude up front...)
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37862 on: June 11, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37863 on: June 11, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »

I believe Trump has the right to campaign as he wishes, within the constraints of local/state laws.

Excellent.
Also, that we have the right to criticize his choices. Which is the actual issue.
A parrot bit me.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37864 on: June 11, 2020, 01:45:32 PM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

Just so I'm clear. I am only talking about discussion here.

Yes, selective tone policing.

I see you can cut and paste, and post snark, but do you have any original thoughts?

Please add them. Inquiring minds want to know what pearls of pontification they can expect from someone so obviously gifted as yourself!

For somebody asking people to be considerate in their tone, you sure choose funny ways to display the practice yourself!

It doesn't take cut and paste to recognize and comment upon tone policing when it is going on, Uno. It surely doesn't require even much of my obviously prodigious mind!

I didn't say, "You're being a fucking asshole on this topic and you really need to get over yourself!" I used the appropriate term to describe what you were doing.

I don't claim to have never engaged in the practice, myself. It's part of how I recognize it so readily! (It's been pointed out to me once or twice, somewhat pointedly.)

And I am sorry that having it pointed out bothers you so much. I'm pretty familiar with defensiveness, too. (Or as I once said, "But I have a perfect right to be defensive!")

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37865 on: June 11, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-police-union-stance-on-kneeling

Yup, the unions are too often contributors to the problems for police, for all that I wish that were not so.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37866 on: June 11, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »

Far be it from Barr, our nation's top law enforcement official, to make shit up to benefit Trump politically.  No one would say such a thing, surely.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/antifa-protests-george-floyd.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

A review of the arrests of dozens of people on federal charges reveals no known effort by antifa to perpetrate a coordinated campaign of violence. Some criminal complaints described vague, anti-government political leanings among suspects, but the majority of the violent acts that have taken place at protests have been attributed by federal prosecutors to individuals with no affiliation to any particular group.

Even so, Attorney General William P. Barr has blamed antifa for orchestrating the mass protests, which broke out in cities and towns across the country following the death in police custody of George Floyd. “There is clearly some high degree of organization involved at some of these events and coordinated tactics that we are seeing,” Mr. Barr said. “Some of it relates to antifa, some of it relates to groups that act very much like antifa.”

---

However, interviews with several major local police departments and a review of hundreds of newspaper stories about arrests around the country revealed no evidence of an organized political effort behind the looting and other violence.

“We saw no organized effort of antifa here in Los Angeles,” said Josh Rubenstein, the spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

Asked in an interview about the involvement of antifa or other extremists groups in Minneapolis, Medaria Arradondo, the chief of police, said, “As I sit here today, I have not received any sort of official information identifying any of the groups.”

Note the one serious plot to sow violence and destruction that was broken up by the Feds were three Boogaloo, members of that far right movement.  Yet curiously Barr and Trump have nothing to say about them.

Add to this that Barr's Flynn arguments just got burned to ashes in court, and then add this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/politics/doj-officials-investigation-william-barr-protests/index.html

All makes it clear that Barr does not have a job because he is one of kiidcarter8's "good people" but because he does whatever shit Trump tells him to do.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37867 on: June 11, 2020, 01:51:33 PM »

I'd change the name of all military bases named after Confederate military leaders.  The only one I might keep is Fort Bragg which is named after perhaps the most incompetent general to ever wear a uniform.  I think changing that name to Fort Bragg-Trump makes sense.

Bragg is the home of the 82 airborne division,
Fort Ridgeway would make an excellent and appropriate new name.

Or Fort George H. Thomas, a tragically underrated Union General, who remained loyal at the cost of his family.
A parrot bit me.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37868 on: June 11, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37869 on: June 11, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »

All makes it clear that Barr does not have a job because he is one of kiidcarter8's "good people" but because he does whatever shit Trump tells him to do.

Hey you guys remember when AG Lynch chatted with Bill Clinton for a few minutes on a tarmac and Republicans pretended it was the biggest scandal since the Teapot Dome?  And the mainstream media that some here think is in the bag for Democrats believed them, while Barr abuses his power probably on a daily basis with barely a mention?

How much coverage did Barr's secret meeting with Murdoch get?  Why is Lynch meeting with Hilary Clinton's husband such a scandal, when Barr meeting with Trump every day in the Oval while he was personally under investigation is treated like normal Attorney General work?

Yeah, but, Jayson Blair...

LOL.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37870 on: June 11, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37871 on: June 11, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »

I believe Trump has the right to campaign as he wishes, within the constraints of local/state laws.

Excellent.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/tulsa-race-massacre-1921-99th-anniversary-trnd/index.html

Lyndon Johnson

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #37872 on: June 11, 2020, 02:12:51 PM »

I'm not going to find tit for tat examples of the left media lying and knowing they were lying. They're out there but I'm not here to delineate some sort of line that proves one side is "worse" than the other. I'm here to say they are both biased and yes both lie. A definite and willful distortion of the truth is lying and both sides do it. I'm not here to rah rah rah for either of them. I find both sides of this media war "deplorables".

Do you think this sort of political discussion - which side lies more - can ever find any real objective arbiter that both sides would accept as such?   For sure,  no one wants to come here and do heavy lifting on statistics,  fact checks,  independent press audits,  ad infinitum.   Most people have some sort of gut feel they go with,  or they point to the judgment call of their favored pundit or pundits.   Or they just listen to NPR and try to discern some patterns in the info flood.   

I live in a state full of conservatives  (Thune is one of my senators),  so I know some who are just decent honest people whose guiding principle is that federal level governance doesn't work well,  and less is generally more.   They find news feeds that feed that ideology,  and ignore those that don't.   I would ask them, and you:  do you think that approach will take you into a bubble (or an information silo,  as some call it)?   Does it make sense to put down the National Review on occasion,  and pick up The Guardian,  or Mother Jones?   Or should we all just read straight news,  like AP?

I'm a regular here,  so I am glad to see people coming over from sports threads,  and maybe toss in some perspectives that fall between Redstateward and Josh,  on the conservative end.   It could be fun to examine some underlying assumptions we have about government, capitalism,  freedom,  and the dignity of individuals.

I do watch both news. And I try to filter out what is right and what may be questionable as anyone should be doing. Both sides are strongly biased IMO. FOX embellishes to the max. CNN and the other national media outlets embellish as well. But their primary forte is simply not reporting on some news stories at all. Thus they can't be accused of embellishing if they simply don't report it at all. It's all tactics. 

My hope has been that someone or "someones" would come along an attempt some actual healing in this country. But nobody in the country seems very interested in that. Both sides seem so entrenched that any hope of dialog is fantasy at this juncture. We've seem to have become a nation of nonwaivering uncomprovising hate. On both sides.

I was encouraged by the taping of the Chicago Aldermen and their lamentations of the destructions in their precincts.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37873 on: June 11, 2020, 02:29:53 PM »

I'm not going to find tit for tat examples of the left media lying and knowing they were lying. They're out there but I'm not here to delineate some sort of line that proves one side is "worse" than the other. I'm here to say they are both biased and yes both lie. A definite and willful distortion of the truth is lying and both sides do it. I'm not here to rah rah rah for either of them. I find both sides of this media war "deplorables".

Do you think this sort of political discussion - which side lies more - can ever find any real objective arbiter that both sides would accept as such?   For sure,  no one wants to come here and do heavy lifting on statistics,  fact checks,  independent press audits,  ad infinitum.   Most people have some sort of gut feel they go with,  or they point to the judgment call of their favored pundit or pundits.   Or they just listen to NPR and try to discern some patterns in the info flood.   

I live in a state full of conservatives  (Thune is one of my senators),  so I know some who are just decent honest people whose guiding principle is that federal level governance doesn't work well,  and less is generally more.   They find news feeds that feed that ideology,  and ignore those that don't.   I would ask them, and you:  do you think that approach will take you into a bubble (or an information silo,  as some call it)?   Does it make sense to put down the National Review on occasion,  and pick up The Guardian,  or Mother Jones?   Or should we all just read straight news,  like AP?

I'm a regular here,  so I am glad to see people coming over from sports threads,  and maybe toss in some perspectives that fall between Redstateward and Josh,  on the conservative end.   It could be fun to examine some underlying assumptions we have about government, capitalism,  freedom,  and the dignity of individuals.

I do watch both news. And I try to filter out what is right and what may be questionable as anyone should be doing. Both sides are strongly biased IMO. FOX embellishes to the max. CNN and the other national media outlets embellish as well. But their primary forte is simply not reporting on some news stories at all. Thus they can't be accused of embellishing if they simply don't report it at all. It's all tactics. 

My hope has been that someone or "someones" would come along an attempt some actual healing in this country. But nobody in the country seems very interested in that. Both sides seem so entrenched that any hope of dialog is fantasy at this juncture. We've seem to have become a nation of nonwaivering uncomprovising hate. On both sides.

I was encouraged by the taping of the Chicago Aldermen and their lamentations of the destructions in their precincts.

Before you heal a wound you have to stop the bleeding.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37874 on: June 11, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

Just so I'm clear. I am only talking about discussion here.

Yes, selective tone policing.

I see you can cut and paste, and post snark, but do you have any original thoughts?

Please add them. Inquiring minds want to know what pearls of pontification they can expect from someone so obviously gifted as yourself!

For somebody asking people to be considerate in their tone, you sure choose funny ways to display the practice yourself!

It doesn't take cut and paste to recognize and comment upon tone policing when it is going on, Uno. It surely doesn't require even much of my obviously prodigious mind!

I didn't say, "You're being a fucking asshole on this topic and you really need to get over yourself!" I used the appropriate term to describe what you were doing.

I don't claim to have never engaged in the practice, myself. It's part of how I recognize it so readily! (It's been pointed out to me once or twice, somewhat pointedly.)

And I am sorry that having it pointed out bothers you so much. I'm pretty familiar with defensiveness, too. (Or as I once said, "But I have a perfect right to be defensive!")

Oh, sorry. First you criticized for being nice. Now, you get angry when I act the way you seem to want me to do---conforming to the overarching tone of anger that you and others present.

I prefer to be a nice guy, so decide. Because I can go the other way, if that suits you. Just let me know if you want AC or DC, because I aim to discuss in ways that you and others undestand best.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 2523 2524 [2525] 2526 2527 ... 4288