Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2534 2535 [2536] 2537 2538 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997675 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38025 on: June 12, 2020, 12:16:01 PM »

You know the rules...don't try to tell me everyone in the world is not doing it;

"Look after yourself first in this world, son...because nobody else will".

We've told you.

You simply refuse to believe it because if it is true that not everyone does it, then what does that say about you?

People look out for me. I look out for them. I look out for others, too. Why? Because I can and there is need.

And if you needed help, I would try to help you, too.

But when push comes to shove, you look after yourself and yours first.
You do, that's what everyone does.

Such a good listener.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38026 on: June 12, 2020, 12:33:03 PM »

Why didn’t the police vet trust the local department to keep his friend’s pawn shop safe in the wee hours, not just that night but every night?

If a guy nearly as old as Kiid’s diaper, who has every indication of knowing what’s up, feels the need to drag himself out of bed and get out into the streets to fight crime, there is an issue or 12 with the local police force and 12 dozen more with the social fabric and how the social contact is being honored.

Also no knock warrants just got banned in Kentucky.

Like Sherman to The Atlantic, keep marching. Like John Brown’s truth, keep marching.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38027 on: June 12, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »

Captain David Dorn, who was murdered by a Black protester, was buried yesterday.

No, Cap, no matter how often you and Ward and Kid push that narrative, it is still false.

Try listening to the widow Dorn. Her husband wasn't killed by a protester.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/06/11/david-dorns-killer-an-opportunist-retired-st-louis-police-captains-widow-says

And yes, I read it on the news today.

But even as you try to elevate this into a significant issue, you underscore the societal problem. You only give a damn about Dorn as a hammer, not an individual.

David McAtee
Chris Beaty
Dorian Murrell
Italia Kelly
Marquis Tousant
Patrick Underwood
Calvin Horton Jr.
James Scurlock
Javar Harrell
Barry Perkins III
Jose Gutierrez
Victor Cazares Jr.
Marvin Francois

One of those was a federal officer. Others were bystanders. And some were protesters. But your faux outrage over Dorn is duly noted.

And had there been no protests, you would not have wandered in here to bemoan the shooting of George Floyd just as you didn't join us to express outrage at the police shooting of Breonna Taylor or the execution of Ahmaud Arbery.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38028 on: June 12, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »

Dawg, There have been multiple arrests in the George murder. Is this somehow different?

And there is the crux.

You think police murdering a man for no reason is identical to a criminal murdering a man for no reason.

It's not the same, Kid Captain.

Had that not been a policeman kneeling on George Floyd's neck, people would have intervened. And the other police present would not have been participants.

But it was. It was somebody taking advantage of his badge vs. somebody taking advantage of the protests.

Not all killings are the same. And you don't treat them as if they are, either.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #38029 on: June 12, 2020, 12:51:30 PM »

I saw something like ten pages here with endless tone policing.   That whole passive-aggressive approach of "I'm here to bestow upon you my sage insights into proper discourse" is so easy to fall into... and usually backfires bigly.
I see you just looked in the mirror

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38030 on: June 12, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »

R.I.P.

It seems to be that Captain Dorn was killed by a looter and not a protester, unless you are saying  looting is a valid form of protest. That’s farther than many of the protesters would take things in terms of sheer radicalism, but not as far as some would.

How did you find out about the funeral?

Here’s the CBS link

http://www.kmov.com/news/david-dorn-murder-retired-capt-laid-to-rest-day-after-hundreds-wait-in-line-at/article_5eb01460-a7e3-11ea-b58e-d71455217e75.html

And here’s a piece in The Daily Beast, but it’s from the viewing and march, which both preceded the funeral.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/aj-mcqueen-marches-for-george-floyd-and-mourns-uncle-david-dorn-st-louis-police-captain-slain-by-looter

I don’t think Captain Dorn would have suffered the four horsemen of George Floyd’s apocalypse under his command. He seems like a really good guy. Police culture being what it is though, he might not have had a choice but to quit or put up with bad cops like that.

I didn't infer that at all. So I'm not sure where you're getting that. Unless it is a bait and switch tactic.

The CBS station you referenced is a local station. But the CBS National news was mute. As were the rest.

The Daily Beast is not a major mainstream outlet. In fact I've never heard of it. Doesn't make is invalid. But it is about as well known as its Conservative counterpart The Daily Caller is known to most liberals. But I suspect you know that already.

Once again none of the major players, CNN, MSNBC, ABC National, CBS National, NBC National, or a Major online AOL, mentioned it at all.

How did I find out about the funeral? From FOX news which one would of course expect to see it as it fits their agenda. And once again I'm not picking sides in this. I'm trying to make the point of each side has their own agenda and dogma to attend to.
Odd that I heard about it, then. Say, did you catch Fox's coverage of McAtee's funeral? No?
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #38031 on: June 12, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »

I'd only add, that while things got out of control in the early days, the protests the last week were largely peaceful.  A number of factors went into that, but yes, I'd say protesters self-policing is probably a big one.

How are things progressing in the new Republic of CHAZ?
And who is in charge of keeping it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:00:09 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38032 on: June 12, 2020, 12:59:55 PM »

And had there been no protests, you would not have wandered in here to bemoan the shooting of George Floyd just as you didn't join us to express outrage at the police shooting of Breonna Taylor or the execution of Ahmaud Arbery.

Something else notable that underscores the need for protest; no one is defending the killing of David Dorn.  No one thinks it was justifiable, no one questions that the perpetrators of this violence should be locked up.  No one here.  No one in BLM.  No one in the community where this violence happened.

On the other side, the Minneapolis Police Union issued a defense of David Chauvin.  His lawyer is on the networks defending his actions.  And this happens over and over with the killings of Black men.  Not only when they are killed by the police.  You all don’t need me to give you examples.  And not only with black men.  The 75 year old in Buffalo (still in critical condition)…cops quit in protest of the arrest of the men who pushed him down, and crowded the outside of the courthouse where they were arraigned to support them.   And our “president” embraces conspiracy theories to waive it away.

THAT IS WHAT WE ARE PROTESTING.  The institutional defense of extrajudicial killings.  And exactly what makes the two killings very, very different.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38033 on: June 12, 2020, 01:00:40 PM »

I saw something like ten pages here with endless tone policing.   That whole passive-aggressive approach of "I'm here to bestow upon you my sage insights into proper discourse" is so easy to fall into... and usually backfires bigly.

The return of "I know you are, but what am I?" Ward.

barton

« Reply #38034 on: June 12, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »

Well sure.  I didn't say that I haven't fallen prey to the urge.   I'd say the majority of posters here have done it.   My observation came both from observation and introspection.    And that was a useful effort,  for me, and means I'm more likely to just post something on current events or someone's interpretation  of them.   For example, I see it as more useful to explain an emotion I might have when the president lies,  than to come on and tell other forumites how to have emotions or which ones are appropriate.   If you read the past day's chat,  hopefully that will make sense.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38035 on: June 12, 2020, 01:03:50 PM »

How are things progressing in the new Republic of CHAZ?

Very well!  Thanks for asking.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38036 on: June 12, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »

Dawg, There have been multiple arrests in the George murder. Is this somehow different?

And there is the crux.

You think police murdering a man for no reason is identical to a criminal murdering a man for no reason.

It's not the same, Kid Captain.

Had that not been a policeman kneeling on George Floyd's neck, people would have intervened. And the other police present would not have been participants.

But it was. It was somebody taking advantage of his badge vs. somebody taking advantage of the protests.

Not all killings are the same. And you don't treat them as if they are, either.
Not that there is not some amusement in seeing cap agree with his old CFB forum pal JimmStateSkippy, but they have both been selling the line that the protests were somehow about one death.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38037 on: June 12, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »

Josiah Daniels has a strong voice and an interesting story. It’s very interesting the role faith, ideals, institutions all play in a person’s evolution. The imperative to beg and the wounds it causes is a hard bite of strong medicine.

Here’s the link again, with my endorsement of a good read.

http://sojo.net/articles/no-more-begging-our-humanity

Our Burning Bush is a burning cop car?

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38038 on: June 12, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »

No one expects proper discourse from you.

We just like to point and laugh when you mess up the facts and fuck up the formatting.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38039 on: June 12, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/meidastouch/videos/889486688199547/

Trump is who most parents try to teach their kids not to be, either as kids or adults.
Pages: 1 ... 2534 2535 [2536] 2537 2538 ... 4288