Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2542 2543 [2544] 2545 2546 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1593044 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38145 on: June 13, 2020, 10:06:03 AM »

Echo4

• View Profile
Trump Blinks
« Reply #38146 on: June 13, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »

David Frum's explanation for why the Trump team moved to June 20th when they have never conceded anything before:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1271783789883260935?s=19&fbclid=IwAR2UhTMRE5vyeFmp2ZTn1Bj1ImGPrfGHBeTddi8S-yMybhldr4vMEfV7LzE

barton

« Reply #38147 on: June 13, 2020, 10:41:06 AM »

What I mean when I say Fox News lies...[Seattle demands graphics]

The Fox News list items are actually on the complete list of demands....

https://medium.com/@seattleblmanon3/the-demands-of-the-collective-black-voices-at-free-capitol-hill-to-the-government-of-seattle-ddaee51d3e47

....but are heavily cherry-picked to provoke maximum tut-tutting.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 12:16:22 PM by barton »

barton

« Reply #38148 on: June 13, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

Thanks whoever posted that Bastard Cop article link.
https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759
Very good read.

You're welcome.

I was quite struck by it, as well as by the more recent piece by the retired police chief.

There is thought-provoking stuff out there.

If only some of those who need to read it would... and if some of those were capable of thinking after reading. Or perhaps I should wish for them to have feelings/empathy.

I also wanted to say thanks for that confessional piece.   You're making Elba a good source of ICYMI stories.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38149 on: June 13, 2020, 11:25:10 AM »

A genuine fear is emerging among many moderates. That Trump will use the rhetoric of the radical left with "defunding the police", "gun control",  "reparations", et alia to rouse enough votes to get reelected.

Pump the brakes. Get Biden and the House and Senate Dems elected first. Then enact your reforms.

It's a legitimate fear, but I am pretty sure that while Trump will try to do that, it won't fly long or hard enough to do what he wants and they fear.

This is especially true when he keeps doing things like doubling down on the forts' names and the Confederate statues and the like. He is pushing the military away from him, not just the moderates.

That's true. But too many people are motivated by fear in this country. The overreacting during 9/11 proved this.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38150 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27:48 AM »

Where Kid, Ward, Bambi, and now apparently Cap see the future of African-Americans going:

Where Social Justice Warriors like you accommodate alternative views.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38151 on: June 13, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »

Brown v. Board of Education was a historic milestone.  Yet not much changed.  A decade after Brown there was a follow-up case in which the Supreme Court said that segregated schools needed to be desegregated right away.  And still there was litigation and more years of resistance.

Virginia came up with a "massive resistance" strategy to Brown v. Board (1954).
In September 1960, just 170 out of 204,000 black students in Virginia were enrolled in white schools. By 1963, the situation, as reflected in the state's capital, was not much better-of the 26,000 black students in Richmond, only 312 were enrolled in 12 formerly all-white schools. In Prince Edward County, public schools remained closed for five years.

Things didn't go too well in Boston, either if you remember.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38152 on: June 13, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »

Notice mention of Ice-T? Or BD Wong?
Or Tamara Tunie? Jamie Gray Hyder?

The truth is that, if you agree that the system is broken and great changes need to be made on all levels to fix it, you can’t pick and choose what needs to be changed. No matter how much you love Olivia Benson, you have to be willing to grapple with the fact that she plays a major role in perpetuating the idea that cops are inherently trustworthy and heroic, and that many viewers are unable to distinguish between the gossamer fantasy of how justice should be handled, and how it actually is. If cops are canceled, that means all cops are canceled, up to and including the strong and pretty ones we like to watch break down pedophiles in interrogation rooms. Revolution can’t be built on the backs of the exceptions, and those who perpetuate toxic systems can’t be deemed immune to critique just because we like them. It’s the simplest equation there is: if all cops are bastards, and Olivia Benson is a cop, that means she’s — kind of — a bastard.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/olivia-benson-svu-mariska-hargitay-canceled-cops-1014181/

The subject silliness of the hyper-woke.

oilcan

« Reply #38153 on: June 13, 2020, 12:08:45 PM »

Thanks for the confessions of a bastard cop.  I have no doubts the author was a cop - I've known people in law enforcement and they would corroborate pretty much everything he said (well,  except the capitalism stuff).   Everyone here should read this -  this essay could be mindset-altering for some, if they are open to really hearing his words.   

oilcan

« Reply #38154 on: June 13, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »

Where Kid, Ward, Bambi, and now apparently Cap see the future of African-Americans going....

I keep hearing SJW used as a pejorative,  so I'm asking what exactly that means?   I mean,  fighting for justice seems like a positive thing to do in America,  and most people at least pay lip service to having equal justice for all citizens, and equality of opportunity,  and so on.   Social just means "of,  or pertaining to,  society, " so I get confused as to why social justice isn't what we should all work towards.   Any clarification appreciated.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38155 on: June 13, 2020, 12:39:31 PM »

It's used sarcastically.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #38156 on: June 13, 2020, 01:33:29 PM »

Churchill statue 'may have to be put in museum', says granddaughter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53033550

Ghandi as well. Replaced by ?  Mob rule all over the globe. C-19 has caused international brain damage.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38157 on: June 13, 2020, 01:35:12 PM »

It's used sarcastically.

By people with “social” diseases.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38158 on: June 13, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1952867

“Conservatives aren’t upset because Seattle is burning. They’re terrified because it is not.”
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38159 on: June 13, 2020, 01:51:37 PM »

Where Kid, Ward, Bambi, and now apparently Cap see the future of African-Americans going:

It's like you hadn't just replied to the post immediately before.

UNO, your position here is like somebody insisting that because I won't heed your insistence that man cannot influence the climate that therefore I am being rigid.

I put up more articles that conflict with a previously held position in a month than you do in a year.

Also, I know you say "Social Justice Warriors like you" as an insult, but as with so many of your (oh so gentlemanly) attacks, that you think it's an insult speaks volumes about you.

Oh, wait! This must be another of those "on your side" moments! Hah!
Pages: 1 ... 2542 2543 [2544] 2545 2546 ... 4288