Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2544 2545 [2546] 2547 2548 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595378 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38175 on: June 13, 2020, 06:02:44 PM »

Well.... can't go for the batshit crazy Indian.  Bottoms or Rice would be cool.  Interesting there is no Stacy Abrams mentioned
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #38176 on: June 13, 2020, 06:03:41 PM »

It seems like Defunding the Police is the single payer in this debate while the heritage foundation version looks like this,

http://www.denverpost.com/2020/06/12/colorado-police-reform-house/

I think legislators approach this sort of change with "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. "

Some of it does look like a step forward -- for Colorado this is fairly large...

Officers would need objective justification to make stops, be required to intervene when seeing other officers using excessive force or face a criminal charge and officers could be sued in their personal capacities and held personally liable up to $25,000 for constitutional violations, removing the”qualified immunity” protection that previously didn’t allow it. The bill also restricts the use of force officers can use on protesters and changes the standards for when police can use deadly force... 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38177 on: June 13, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »

:o
Churchill statue 'may have to be put in museum', says granddaughter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53033550

Ghandi as well. Replaced by ?  Mob rule all over the globe. C-19 has caused international brain damage.

Or maybe people around the world are saying, “I can see clearly now...”
I think an argument can be made that if it weren't for Churchill, imperialist and conservative he was, those demonstrators would be speaking German.

You wanna go back further and recognize British Imperialism gave rise to the conditions that necessitated the world being  saved from Hitler and the Nazis.

If he hadn’t been such a prick toward Ghandi maybe the British conservatives would have listened when he told them about Hitler.

Andrew Jackson kept the nation surging when he kicked the shit out of Brits in 1812.

He’s still a dick.

Don’t dismiss the point of view of people who ain’t you.

That’s why people are in the streets for the third straight week.
"Dismissing the view." Let me ponder that one
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #38178 on: June 13, 2020, 06:25:14 PM »

Meanwhile in Atlanta,  a man falls asleep,  drunk,  in a drive-thru.   Police apprehend,  and when he resists arrest and grabs a taser,  he is shot to death.   

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/13/atlanta-georgia-police-shooting-black-man

The same questions arise...like why him holding a taser presents a lethal threat.   I mean,  whenever a cop uses one we're informed that it's safe to use on suspects.

Or why, on a more basic level of what is important to enforce,  do we need to arrest people for sleeping it off in a poorly chosen spot?   Here's a wild and crazy idea:  wake him up,  help him out,  move the car to a parking spot,  then let him go back to sleep,  tell him he can pick up his keys from the nearest station in the morning.   In other words,  decriminalize foolishness and spend your time on... actual criminals. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38179 on: June 13, 2020, 06:33:31 PM »

Meanwhile in Atlanta,  a man falls asleep,  drunk,  in a drive-thru.   Police apprehend,  and when he resists arrest and grabs a taser,  he is shot to death.   

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/13/atlanta-georgia-police-shooting-black-man

The same questions arise...like why him holding a taser presents a lethal threat.   I mean,  whenever a cop uses one we're informed that it's safe to use on suspects.

Or why, on a more basic level of what is important to enforce,  do we need to arrest people for sleeping it off in a poorly chosen spot?   Here's a wild and crazy idea:  wake him up,  help him out,  move the car to a parking spot,  then let him go back to sleep,  tell him he can pick up his keys from the nearest station in the morning.   In other words,  decriminalize foolishness and spend your time on... actual criminals.

"Decriminalize foolishness"

More Social Justice Warrior talk, I'm sure! We have to protect our drive thrus from those who might fall asleep in them!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38180 on: June 13, 2020, 06:34:53 PM »

Where Kid, Ward, Bambi, and now apparently Cap see the future of African-Americans going:

Where Social Justice Warriors like you accommodate alternative views.

It's like you hadn't just replied to the post immediately before.

UNO, your position here is like somebody insisting that because I won't heed your insistence that man cannot influence the climate that therefore I am being rigid.

I put up more articles that conflict with a previously held position in a month than you do in a year.

Also, I know you say "Social Justice Warriors like you" as an insult, but as with so many of your (oh so gentlemanly) attacks, that you think it's an insult speaks volumes about you.

Oh, wait! This must be another of those "on your side" moments! Hah!

Guess you can't handle getting back what you hand out to others.

Weak.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38181 on: June 13, 2020, 06:43:03 PM »

Where Kid, Ward, Bambi, and now apparently Cap see the future of African-Americans going:

Where Social Justice Warriors like you accommodate alternative views.

It's like you hadn't just replied to the post immediately before.

UNO, your position here is like somebody insisting that because I won't heed your insistence that man cannot influence the climate that therefore I am being rigid.

I put up more articles that conflict with a previously held position in a month than you do in a year.

Also, I know you say "Social Justice Warriors like you" as an insult, but as with so many of your (oh so gentlemanly) attacks, that you think it's an insult speaks volumes about you.

Oh, wait! This must be another of those "on your side" moments! Hah!

Guess you can't handle getting back what you hand out to others.

Weak.

Too fucking funny.

You really have a hard time telling the difference between your hypocrisy and my sensitivity. It's quite humorous.

And nothing to say about your opposition to social justice.

I'd rather be weak like me than strong like you any day of the week.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38182 on: June 13, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/13/politics/secret-service-pepper-spray-june-event-lafayette-square-washington-dc/index.html

The Secret Service has admitted that they used pepper spray in Lafayette Square, despite prior denials by many different administration spokespeople, like AG Barr.

We knew he was lying. It might be time that he consider that before opening his trap.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38183 on: June 13, 2020, 06:47:36 PM »

I'm not opposed to social justice. If it's real, and if it accommodates reality.
The SVU piece is idiocy, and only an idiot would take it seriously.

The SJW demands conformity. He/she/they opposes diversity of thought, in the name of diversity; he/she/they can only entertain his/her/their POV. All others are inferior and must be lectured on the correct way to impose "justice".

The dumbfucks alienate the very people who can activate real change.

Weak.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 06:54:41 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38184 on: June 13, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »

Yep - not a good scene at all.

Police chief is out

Prayers for ATL tonight.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38185 on: June 13, 2020, 06:54:18 PM »

The Secret Service has admitted that they used pepper spray in Lafayette Square, despite prior denials by many different administration spokespeople, like AG Barr.

Yeah - pretty sure this is inaccurate.  But go with it - it's only Elba.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38186 on: June 13, 2020, 06:56:17 PM »

I'm not opposed to social justice. If it's real, and if it accommodates reality.
The SVU piece is idiocy, and only and idiot would take it seriously.

I feel about the SVU piece the way I do about the West Wing examples used to illustrate liberal failings or COPS as evidence of how either the US or Portland, OR, operates.

But I think your view of real/reality is badly skewed and it results in your mocking people who work for social justice.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38187 on: June 13, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »

Yeah - pretty sure this is inaccurate.  But go with it - it's only Elba.

Got a counter link?

No? So surprised. Just your feeling again or is this a "I know somebody" moment for you?

I'm pretty sure you are full of shit and that a moment's search on Bing or Google would have told you that, but you couldn't fucking be bothered to check to see the truth for yourself.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/13/floyd-protests-secret-service-used-pepper-spray-trump-photo-op/3184223001/

"After further review, the U.S. Secret Service has determined that an agency employee used pepper spray on June 1st, during efforts to secure the area near Lafayette Park " according to a statement the agency tweeted. "The employee utilized oleoresin capsicum spray, or pepper spray, in response to an assaultive individual."

https://twitter.com/SecretService/status/1271883429404184576

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/secret-service-walks-back-denial-of-using-tear-gas-on-white-house-protesters
The U.S. Secret Service on Saturday reversed its denial that no agents used tear gas June 1 to remove protesters near the White House, as the park clearing has come under intense criticism and the focus of a lawsuit from activists who allege law enforcement violated their constitutional rights to demonstrate against George Floyd's death.

Believe it yet?!

oilcan

« Reply #38188 on: June 13, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »

The SVU piece is idiocy, and only an idiot would take it seriously.

The SJW demands conformity. He/she/they opposes diversity of thought, in the name of diversity; he/she/they can only entertain his/her/their POV. All others are inferior and must be lectured on the correct way to impose "justice".

The dumbfucks alienate the very people who can activate real change.

Weak.

Thanks for the reply to my earlier post about this.

It seems to me that if you are now alienated by social justice,  you were already alienated by its core principles, probably back when it was called "civil rights."  Justice is fine,  so long as it's for your kind of people and it doesn't hurt your property values,  right?

The "conformity" the SJW demands is conformity to the Constitution and our nation's expressed ideals of equality before the law. 

BTW ----- If the Rolling Stone article was so idiotic,  why did you bother to post it?   

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38189 on: June 13, 2020, 07:10:19 PM »

The SVU piece is idiocy, and only and idiot would take it seriously.

I feel about the SVU piece the way I do about the West Wing examples used to illustrate liberal failings or COPS as evidence of how either the US or Portland, OR, operates.

But I think your view of real/reality is badly skewed and it results in your mocking people who work for social justice.

Well, considering you have no real inkling of how I live my life, you'd be wrong. Again.
Pages: 1 ... 2544 2545 [2546] 2547 2548 ... 4288