Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2556 2557 [2558] 2559 2560 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1795494 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38355 on: June 15, 2020, 10:10:17 AM »

I will also leave you with one more thought -

Had the officers been MORE FORCEFUL during the arrest, quite likely Brooks would have been cuffed and brought to the station.

Seems to me they were a bit timid.  Media and protesters will call this "scared" as in  the current cries - "If you are scared, then you don't need to be a cop" - but likely they were scared to be judged, not injured - and thus may have used less force than usual - and than necessary.

Or maybe the are just among the physically weaker/less athletic- could be that too.  I wasn't too impressed with how they were running.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38356 on: June 15, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »

That was a pleasant surprise.

I could have foreseen Roberts. But never Gorsuch.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:44:38 AM by Hairy Lime »
Remember the famous Russian proverb: The hungrier you get, the tastier the meal. On the other hand, the French have a proverb: Merde!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38357 on: June 15, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »

"if only they had been compliant" is blaming the murder victim.   People are rightly scared of cops,  and it's to be expected they will not always act rationally.   If police aren't trained to deal with that,  and to defuse fear,  then they need to be replaced with those who are.   

The length of the altercation - 43 minutes - is being used against the 2 officers.

Isn't this what you want - that the duo takes time (see the video) to speak  respectfully to the man?

How is "why did this take so long?" an issue here?  (see media)

Drag out of car, beat down and cuff is not what you want, after all.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38358 on: June 15, 2020, 10:19:30 AM »

So what you have left is for the officers to have just let Brooks run away with the taser.

What would have happened then is an unknown.

Do you think the officers were justified shooting a man dead because he was running away with a non-lethal weapon?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38359 on: June 15, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »

Didn't they already have his ID and his car?  So they knew who exactly who he was.
 So it's not a big deal if he actually runs away.  He wasn't going to get away with anything.  He didn't need to be killed for falling sleep drunk in his car and then scuffling to avoid being tased.  if you have the authority to use deadly force, you need to have good judgemnt.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 10:45:42 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38360 on: June 15, 2020, 10:43:40 AM »

So what you have left is for the officers to have just let Brooks run away with the taser.
Under what circumstances do you think police should be allowed to use lethal force on a fleeing unarmed suspect? Because my bet is you are wrong.

And the cop shifted his taser from his gun hand to draw. There was pretty clearly an alternative you are not considering.
Remember the famous Russian proverb: The hungrier you get, the tastier the meal. On the other hand, the French have a proverb: Merde!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38361 on: June 15, 2020, 10:57:38 AM »

Didn't they already have his ID and his car?  So they knew who exactly who he was.
 So it's not a big deal if he actually runs away.  He wasn't going to get away with anything.  He didn't need to be killed for falling sleep drunk in his car and then scuffling to avoid being tased.  if you have the authority to use deadly force, you need to have good judgemnt.

Striking an officer is a felony

But no - Mr Brooks didn't need to be killed.  Would have preferred more aggression, maybe a spear tackle.  But is this something to be shown approval from the populace?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38362 on: June 15, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-supreme-court-rules-that-lgbt-workers-are-protected-from-job-discrimination-2020-06-15?mod=mw_latestnews

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court ruled Monday that a landmark civil rights law protects LGBT people from discrimination in employment, a resounding victory for LGBT rights from a conservative court.

The court decided by a 6-3 vote that a key provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 known as Title VII that bars job discrimination because of sex, among other reasons, encompasses bias against LGBT workers.

“An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids,” Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote for the court.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38363 on: June 15, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »

This was painful to watch:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/14/jenna-ellis-white-house-brian-stelter-317693

Where does Trump find these people?  Do they interview them to ensure that they can be dead wrong in the most confident and strident way possible?  Or does that come naturally with being a Trumpist?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38364 on: June 15, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »

Trump's economy is becoming worse each day!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/united-airlines-files-for-issuance-and-sale-of-up-28-million-shares-stock-falls-2020-06-15?mod=newsviewer_click

Shares of United Airlines Holdings Inc. UAL, -3.73% sank 7.5% in premarket trading Monday, after the air carrier disclosed that it entered into agreements for the sale of up to 28 million shares of common stock.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bankrupt-hertz-files-to-sell-up-to-500-million-in-stock-with-warning-they-could-be-worthless-2020-06-15?mod=newsviewer_click

Shares of Hertz Global Holdings Inc. HTZ, -18.90% plunged 20% in premarket trading Monday, after the bankrupt car rental company filed for the sale up up to $500 million worth of common stock. The filing comes after Hertz received approval on Friday from a bankruptcy court to sell up to $1 billion in stock. The company warned in the filing that because the company is bankrupt, the common stock could be rendered "worthless."
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38365 on: June 15, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »

Good news for the environment.

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Fitness junkies locked out of gyms, commuters fearful of public transit, and families going stir crazy inside their homes during the coronavirus pandemic have created a boom in bicycle sales unseen in decades.

In the United States, bicycle aisles at mass merchandisers like Walmart WMT, 0.43% and TGT, 0.30% have been swept clean, and independent shops are doing a brisk business and are selling out of affordable “family” bikes.

Bicycle sales over the past two months saw their biggest spike in the U.S. since the oil crisis of the 1970s, said Jay Townley, who analyzes cycling industry trends at Human Powered Solutions.

“People quite frankly have panicked, and they’re buying bikes like toilet paper,” Townley said, referring to the rush to buy essentials like toilet paper and hand sanitizer that stores saw at the beginning of the pandemic.

The trend is mirrored around the globe, as cities better known for car-clogged streets, like Manila and Rome, install bike lanes to accommodate surging interest in cycling while public transport remains curtailed. In London, municipal authorities plan to go further by banning cars from some central thoroughfares.

Schwinning!!!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/theyre-buying-bikes-like-toilet-paper-pandemic-leads-to-a-bicycle-boom-shortage-2020-06-15?mod=newsviewer_click

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38366 on: June 15, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »

But no - Mr Brooks didn't need to be killed. 

Great!  Now ask yourself if given the history it is really so unreasonable for people to suspect that he would not have been killed if he was a white guy.

Which of course is where Black Lives Matter comes from.  Implicit or explicit bias doesn't matter.  End result is that he didn't get that extra moment where the cop asks "OK, he hit me and stole my taser but he is drunk maybe high out of his mind, does he really need to die for that?" 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38367 on: June 15, 2020, 11:15:33 AM »

Under what circumstances do you think police should be allowed to use lethal force on a fleeing unarmed suspect? 

Here's a pretty good piece on the subject.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/08/use-of-deadly-force-police/402181/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38368 on: June 15, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »

Don''t know if you saw this great song in honor of DT's birthday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmJlsQfZkw

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38369 on: June 15, 2020, 11:22:59 AM »

Joey's Choice.

“With little traditional campaigning covered in the news, the choice of Biden’s vice president is garnering outsized attention,” said Melissa K. Miller, a professor of political science at Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

What’s more, the 77-year-old politician’s age has prompted questions about whether he would serve two terms as president and put extra focus on his choice for vice president. If he defeats President Donald Trump in the November election, Biden would be 78 when he’s sworn into office and rank as the country’s oldest-ever commander-in-chief, topping Ronald Reagan, who was 77 when he left office and 69 when he entered the White House. Trump is now 73 and was 70 at his swearing-in, so the Republican incumbent currently rates as the oldest president at the start of his time in office.

Some party activists also “wonder whether a carefully chosen vice president could swing the presidential pendulum back in the Democrats’ favor” after Trump’s razor-thin margins of victory in 2016 in the battleground states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, Miller said. But she cautioned that while research suggests running mates are “chosen in order to maximize the ticket’s chances of winning,” other research suggests the choice has “little demonstrable effect on who wins in November.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bidens-running-mate-search-is-getting-outsized-attention-and-could-even-shake-the-stock-market-heres-how-2020-06-10?mod=newsviewer_click
Pages: 1 ... 2556 2557 [2558] 2559 2560 ... 4288