Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2572 2573 [2574] 2575 2576 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1993145 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38595 on: June 16, 2020, 01:54:03 PM »

Norway, Finland, Germany  ...  nothing  like America in size, population, culture and gun laws.
As a general rule, in those countries there are no MS-13 -ilk gangs.

I expected that from you.

Pick a US state of equivalent population to any of those countries. Do the comparison again. It's not size or population.

It's gun culture and it's the police.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38596 on: June 16, 2020, 01:58:02 PM »

Sydney is the second hilliest city in the world after San Francisco.

CITY OF HILLS / With 50-plus hills, it's no wonder that San Francisco is considered the second hilliest city in the world, next to La Paz, Bolivia

Another article says Lisbon is 3rd behind La Paz and SF.
I'm not sure if they count the number of hills, or elevation up and down or what.

ChingQing China is a very vertical city, very up and down though it might be more one big hill than lots of little ones.  Lots of steps.  One of the few Chinese cities where you rarely see a bicycle in the main section of town.  The adjoining other half of Chongqing is more flat and normal.

I'm not sure either, it was something I heard.
Not many cyclists in Sydney from what I see.
The ones there are, are not very popular with motorists, hold up the traffic for miles.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38597 on: June 16, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »

Norway, Finland, Germany  ...  nothing  like America in size, population, culture and gun laws.

Pick a US state of equivalent population to any of those countries. Do the comparison again. It's not size or population.

'gun laws', 'gun culture'...much the same thing.

What do you suggest US cops do when people point guns at them, offer them ice cream and cupcakes?
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38598 on: June 16, 2020, 02:08:38 PM »

If I lived in America, would becoming a cop be anywhere near the top 50 of my desired jobs?
All for the princely sum of not much money.

Depends where you are a cop.
Big cities can be tough.

But in my middle class NJ suburb, the average policeman makes $110K.
The danger is limited.  Plus there are ops for OT and/or to do off-duty armed security work that pays quite well, to top up your income.

My first job when I was 16 was cashier at a Shop-Rite grocery store.  It was open 24 hours with just one cashier overnight, while the trucks unloaded goods and shelves were restocked.   An off-duty policeman was there every night in full police uniform.  Besides working the 3rd shift, it was easy and as trouble-free as could be imagined.  Those off-duty gigs in my hometown pull in between $30 - $70 per hour.  $40/hr average.

I believe police in my hometown can retire with full pension after 25 years.  And I think that's at full salary.  So if you became a cop at 25, you can retire at full salary at age 50, and start another career.  They also get good benefits.  Pretty lucrative for a low skill, low education job.  Our next door neighbor was a cop, and he made sure his son got into the family business, which is not uncommon.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38599 on: June 16, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »

I don't really recall Sydney being hilly.  But I'll take your word for it.

I was only there a few days in-and-out on a vacation to Tasmania.  Did walk around Sydney a fair amount during those 3 or 4 days.  But likely I was mostly in the main downtown/tourist area (which includes the fish market oddly enough).  Australia didn't interest me that much.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38600 on: June 16, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »

'gun laws', 'gun culture'...much the same thing.

What do you suggest US cops do when people point guns at them, offer them ice cream and cupcakes?

(a) No, they aren't the same thing. Not even close.

(b) 20 to 1. That's the ratio of civilians killed by police to police killed by civilians each year. And you seem to have forgotten, but this whole discussion is engendered most recently by two police killings of unarmed people. One of them wasn't shot. It's been compounded by other instances of unnecessary killing.

Offering ice cream and cupcakes might work better than what they're doing now.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38601 on: June 16, 2020, 02:44:09 PM »

Projecting 200,000 deaths by October:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

What an unmitigated disaster. Total American Carnage. And Trump and co truly could not give a shit while they watch the stock market and their own polling.

Disgusting.

It's really not

About.0006 of the population.

Quality of life is of concern

daaaammmmmnnn...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38602 on: June 16, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »

9/11?  Meh.  Only 0.000009 of the population.  Fucking idiocy.

heh

a)  check your figures
b)  what percentage of those that were IN the towers perished?

Lord...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38603 on: June 16, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »

Better question, were your brains mush before you became a Trumpist, or is that the natural result?

How long have you known this guy?

Not one bit of empathy.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38604 on: June 16, 2020, 02:54:53 PM »

Christie was my candidate.

Trump is my President.

I didnt like McCain much - but I am sure had he won you'd be painting me as a big supporter of his as well.

And I am sure you improperly feel I dislike Mitt Romney, though he was my candidate in 2008 and my VOTE in 2012.

In short, you don't know shit.

Christie is an ill tempered self serving lout. Figure you would like a guy that like that with no personal discipline and he’s an uncouth blowhard.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 03:21:53 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38605 on: June 16, 2020, 02:56:53 PM »

You stand with Trump despite 4 years of his showing you exactly the person he is, you are part of the problem, and a Trumpist to the core.

It's the PRESIDENT he is that is important.

Compared to the alternative

Next time we have a Republican primary, support someone.  Obviously - like me - you liked other Republicans more than Trump

He sucks at being President.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38606 on: June 16, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »

253  -  97

Cash on hand, millions

Trump     Biden

The right message cuts through the noise made by money.

Biden nice old white guy

Trump white incompetent degenerate asshole

Tough choice

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38607 on: June 16, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »

More great stuff.  The term "hitting on all cylinders" was coined for the type of day you're having

That was the target, no?

What is the target of the virus?

The virus targets no one.

Some people are more vulnerable than others and white people have already decided those folks don’t count... as much.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/05/19/make-no-mistake-the-reopen-protests-are-all-about-white-privilege/

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38608 on: June 16, 2020, 03:07:43 PM »

I don't really recall Sydney being hilly.  But I'll take your word for it.

I was only there a few days in-and-out on a vacation to Tasmania.  Did walk around Sydney a fair amount during those 3 or 4 days.  But likely I was mostly in the main downtown/tourist area (which includes the fish market oddly enough).  Australia didn't interest me that much.

It is what it is.
What is it?
Buildings, houses, parks, schools, bridges, public transport, cars, trucks, beaches, towns, farms...much the same as anywhere else really.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38609 on: June 16, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »

It's really not
About.0006 of the population.
Quality of life is of concern

Sometimes we overfocus on deaths.  I can understand since it is rather final.
Unless you believe some Christian mythology or other dodge.

Over 2M known infected.  And that's just positive tests.  Likely the infection rate is 5-10x higher.  So Trump is responsible for 115K deaths and probably up to 20M infections.  A huge botch job.   I'd be interested in how many Americans tested positive and had serious enough cases that they had to be hospitalized.  Scary and unpleasant.  Just because someone survived didn't mean they weren't at risk of dying.

And if the virus was tackled earlier, competently and face masks obligatory, the infection and death rate would be a fraction of what they are now.  But Trump and the Trumpeters were inept and then made things worse by politicizing the health care response.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2572 2573 [2574] 2575 2576 ... 4288