Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2573 2574 [2575] 2576 2577 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1993133 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38610 on: June 16, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/report-finds-bpd-overwhelmingly-stops-black-people/2143631/

BPD Overwhelmingly Stops Black People, Report Finds
Black people accounted for nearly 70% of the Boston Police Department's stops over the last three years

According to the Boston Globe, the report founds that Black people, who make up about a fourth of the city's population, accounted for nearly 70% of the department's stops over the last three years.

The report looked at data on Field Interrogations and Observations, commonly known as "stop and frisk."

I’m shocked, SHOCKED!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38611 on: June 16, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »

If I lived in America, would becoming a cop be anywhere near the top 50 of my desired jobs?
No.

. Shift work
. Directing traffic in the rain
. Chasing gun-toting thugs thru dark alleys
. Arresting violent and dirty drunks
. Cleaning out patrol cars and paddy wagons after drunks had vomited in them
. Conducting traffic stops day and night, not knowing if I was going to live or die
. Going into battle with rioters throwing bricks, burning cocktails etc
. etc
All for the princely sum of not much money.

You make it sound like cops go to war every shift... and that is the main part of the problem.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38612 on: June 16, 2020, 03:21:12 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/report-finds-bpd-overwhelmingly-stops-black-people/2143631/

BPD Overwhelmingly Stops Black People, Report Finds
Black people accounted for nearly 70% of the Boston Police Department's stops over the last three years

According to the Boston Globe, the report founds that Black people, who make up about a fourth of the city's population, accounted for nearly 70% of the department's stops over the last three years.

The report looked at data on Field Interrogations and Observations, commonly known as "stop and frisk."

I’m shocked, SHOCKED!

At least they released it?

Mind you, if they look back to the 2017 report, they will see similar numbers and similar language about the need to address the numbers.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38613 on: June 16, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »

(how bout all those beds we were gonna need?  People are dead because of the pessimism)

Sorry, how do you figure this?  People died because governors overestimated how many beds would be needed?  How is that?

If you are arguing that pessimism on the reach of COVID has led to more deaths than we would have experienced otherwise, that is nonsensical.  Hundreds of people are still dying in the US, and I think it should go without arguing (though with Trumpists, you never know) that far more would have died without the restrictions put in place. 

So, not that I'm expecting any logical argument in response, your statement needs explanation.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38614 on: June 16, 2020, 03:29:23 PM »

I think the unspoken subtext is that Trump is more likely to make a mess of the US, weaken the country, while getting too distracted to actually do much harm to China's interests.

Very hard to argue that this is not an entirely accurate assessment. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38616 on: June 16, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »

If I lived in America, would becoming a cop be anywhere near the top 50 of my desired jobs?
No.

. Shift work
. Directing traffic in the rain
. Chasing gun-toting thugs thru dark alleys
. Arresting violent and dirty drunks
. Cleaning out patrol cars and paddy wagons after drunks had vomited in them
. Conducting traffic stops day and night, not knowing if I was going to live or die
. Going into battle with rioters throwing bricks, burning cocktails etc
. etc
All for the princely sum of not much money.

You make it sound like cops go to war every shift... and that is the main part of the problem.

They do go to war every shift, don't they?
Not anymore though, now they're just stepping aside and letting cities be taken over...or being abolished.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38617 on: June 16, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »

b)  what percentage of those that were IN the towers perished?

Better question, were your brains mush before you became a Trumpist, or is that the natural result?

How long have you known this guy?

Not one bit of empathy.

Empathy when it suits his argument.  He is suddenly concerned about people dying because of COVID pessimism (however he figures that) and he likes to say "Fauci killed grandma" (I think because he read that on one of the white supremacist forums he frequents and it sounds good, not because he has any idea how that is true.)

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38618 on: June 16, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2020/6/16/21290591/trump-black-lives-epa-air-pollution-covid-19

“To put it more bluntly: People of color are choking on white people’s pollution.”

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38619 on: June 16, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2020/06/16/coronavirus-is-back-and-spreading--but-lets-blame-trump-instead-of-each-other/

Plenty of blame to go around.

Yes, the masses are easily swayed, but I am not sure it is appropriate to blame Trump for human nature, even if I can point a finger at him for seeking to take advantage of it.

The folks who run the ROK Center in Tulsa know the score - they've cancelled most of their summer events already and much of the fall. Yet they chose to take the president's money to run this event. Is it the president's fault these guys decided to do that?!

OK's governor and health department are allowing it. Tulsa's Health Director is allowing it, despite wishing it would postpone.

Everybody knows that Trump is out of his gourd. Everybody knows. (With apologies to Leonard Cohen, wherever he may be.)

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38620 on: June 16, 2020, 03:42:19 PM »

He’s in the Tower of Song.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38621 on: June 16, 2020, 03:46:46 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38622 on: June 16, 2020, 03:49:34 PM »

Speaking of houses,

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/16/congress-small-business-loan-320625

Which congresspeople are working in their constituents’ best interest?

None of the ones supporting trump. They’ve made that clear already.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #38623 on: June 16, 2020, 03:55:57 PM »

---Trump on coronavirus: 'If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'---

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/502819-trump-on-coronavirus-if-we-stop-testing-right-now-wed-have-very-few-cases

huh!
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 2573 2574 [2575] 2576 2577 ... 4288