Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2583 2584 [2585] 2586 2587 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1866574 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38760 on: June 17, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »

As expected, felony murder overcharge in ATL

Sez you.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38761 on: June 17, 2020, 04:40:27 PM »

Why is it that its the Republicans who have all the best anti-Trump commercials:

https://youtu.be/g5Xpwyd4aMM
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38762 on: June 17, 2020, 04:44:06 PM »

After shooting Brooks, Rolfe said "I got him" and kicked Brooks, and Brosnan then stood on Brooks' shoulder, Howard said. The officers did not provide medical aid to Brooks for over two minutes after shooting him, Howard said.

One of Rolfe's gunshots also hit an occupied vehicle nearby in the Wendy's lot, endangering the passengers inside.

Brosnan has agreed to be a state's witness, Howard said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/rayshard-brooks-atlanta-shooting-wednesday/index.html

I think the failure to provide medical aid, if that is the case, is pretty damning.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38763 on: June 17, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »

Didnt you watch the video?

Eyewitnesses very unreliable

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38764 on: June 17, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »

This is one of those cases of over-reach that those who whine about political correctness keep warning us about, but can't defend:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/us/uva-changes-slavery-logo-trnd/index.html

The serpentine walls at UVA's campus are architectural landmarks.  While the 8 foot high ones were removed, the shorter ones that remain were not there to hide slaves, but are essentially features of the enclosed gardens behind the pavilions.  And the connection between them and the design on the sabres seems awfully tenuous.

But strangely, I wouldn't yell "they are trying to erase history!" and while I think its an overreaction, if UVA wants to signal support for Black Americans by actually acknowledging some of the history of slavery on the campus, I'm ok with that.

But then, I'm not a racist.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38765 on: June 17, 2020, 04:56:06 PM »

Didnt you watch the video?

Eyewitnesses very unreliable

Seems one of those witnesses was the officer first on the scene.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38766 on: June 17, 2020, 04:56:28 PM »

Over 750 people per day are dying of COVID (Pence considers this a victory, but others may disagree) despite the nationwide lock down that by any rational assessment is being lifted too soon in most places. 

Of course there never was a nationwide lockdown. 
Many states took half measures.
The country was lied into believing face masks were useless for almost 2 months.
And then after these halfway lockdowns, many states started reopening too soon.

Not surprising it isn't going too well.

If you do a serious lockdown and have good compliance with precautions in public for 8+ weeks (preferably 10-12), viral transmission can be limited and greatly reduced. 

Then for reopening you need a lot of testing, contact tracers in place (lots of unemployed folks would like jobs), and good precautions being followed in public (masks, distancing, disinfecting, etc).

How much of that has occurred?
A total embarrassing lack of national leadership.
A very simple potentially life-saving precaution (face masks) politicized.

If your lockdowns and precautions aren't thorough and complied with, and then you reopen too soon, without adequate preparations, you get an increase in infections.  It's not even a 2nd wave, as its a continuation of and failure to deal with the 1st wave properly.

I hear you, Bo.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38767 on: June 17, 2020, 04:57:39 PM »

UVA lost me a long time ago, Needs

As did University of Richmond

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38768 on: June 17, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »

UVA lost me a long time ago

Frankly, kiidcarter8, we never cared about having you.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38769 on: June 17, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »

UVA lost me a long time ago

Frankly, kiidcarter8, we never cared about having you.

noted

Good looking campus though

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38770 on: June 17, 2020, 05:11:21 PM »

Over 750 people per day are dying of COVID (Pence considers this a victory, but others may disagree) despite the nationwide lock down that by any rational assessment is being lifted too soon in most places. 

Of course there never was a nationwide lockdown. 
Many states took half measures.
The country was lied into believing face masks were useless for almost 2 months.
And then after these halfway lockdowns, many states started reopening too soon.

Not surprising it isn't going too well.

If you do a serious lockdown and have good compliance with precautions in public for 8+ weeks (preferably 10-12), viral transmission can be limited and greatly reduced. 

Then for reopening you need a lot of testing, contact tracers in place (lots of unemployed folks would like jobs), and good precautions being followed in public (masks, distancing, disinfecting, etc).

How much of that has occurred?
A total embarrassing lack of national leadership.
A very simple potentially life-saving precaution (face masks) politicized.

If your lockdowns and precautions aren't thorough and complied with, and then you reopen too soon, without adequate preparations, you get an increase in infections.  It's not even a 2nd wave, as its a continuation of and failure to deal with the 1st wave properly.

Maybe not nationwide, but there was a period when some 95% of the country was under lock down. 

But I agree that a) that lock down got called off too soon in most places (even according to the guidelines put out by the Trump administration, which called for a two week decrease in caseloads.  Some of those states weren't seeing a decrease at all) and b) Nothing was done (at a federal level) during that lock down to ensure a safe reopening.

We have a "president" who got impatient with the economic and therefore political effects of the lock downs and so decided it was time to lift them, completely divorced from any reality on the ground.  As a result, we have ended up with half-assed measures that will get people killed.

--

Generally, I'm struck with the base level misunderstanding of how a virus works by the people in charge.  Note in that PBS segment I posted, Redfield is asked about his statements at the end of February that there was no danger to Americans, and he said "well, that was true at the time."  Reminds of the joke about the guy who falls off the top of a skyscraper and half way down says to himself "so far so good."  It should seem obvious, but a virus takes time to spread.  Just because you haven't been hit yet, doesn't mean it isn't coming.

And we now know that in fact we were hit, just a total lack of testing prevented us from knowing.

It should have been clear that as big as the US is, that just because it was mostly in New York City at some point and places like, say, Arizona, weren't getting cases, it was only a matter of time.  Instead they didn't have a big case load, so figured all clear to reopen. 

Which, as I said, if it is Redfield's sort of thinking that is leading to that, is really fucking stupid.

Redfield was absolutely the wrong choice for the job and Laurie Garrett was more than fair in this beat down from two years ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/13/opinions/trumps-terrible-choice-for-cdc-redfield-garrett/index.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38771 on: June 17, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »

I think the lockdowns in most states were too weak, too laxly enforced, and not complied with enough.  So only moderately effective.

It's been half-measures the whole way.

Half measures?

You’re being overly generous.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38772 on: June 17, 2020, 05:15:53 PM »

We see this too from the Trumpists on this forum.  Just misrepresent the record....

What record?  That Trump won the election, stood up to N Korea and China and had the economy humming?

Yeah - I apologize.

That entire sentence is highly questionable.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38773 on: June 17, 2020, 05:18:59 PM »

Redfield was absolutely the wrong choice for the job and Laurie Garrett was more than fair in this beat down from two years ago.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/13/opinions/trumps-terrible-choice-for-cdc-redfield-garrett/index.html

I had no idea his history was so problematic.

Trump-rot gets into everything.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38774 on: June 17, 2020, 05:21:38 PM »

As expected, felony murder overcharge in ATL

It was murder.

“I got him!”

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2583 2584 [2585] 2586 2587 ... 4288