Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2590 2591 [2592] 2593 2594 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1786718 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38865 on: June 18, 2020, 04:52:41 AM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

It looks as if it is going to be quite the read. Add Mary Trump's book to it and soon Trump will be left with...

...almost the exact same support he had going into the books coming out, because his supporters mostly don't care.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38866 on: June 18, 2020, 05:07:25 AM »

Unfortunately the extreme polarization of the US electorate has been a boon to the GOP.  W Bush and Trump have been huge disasters, yet they/the GOP can count on nearly 40% of the voting populace as an automatic backstop. 

In more normal less partisan times, Biden would win in a landslide vs. Trump due to the economy, the virus mishandling, the overt racism, the protests, Trump's extensive lying, Trump's extremely poor management of everything, the nepotism, the corruption, the cronies who have been indicted, the impeachment, the polarization itself, plus the boorish and crude behavior, etc.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38868 on: June 18, 2020, 06:36:17 AM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/racial-bias-skews-algorithms-widely-used-to-guide-patient-care/?utm_content=bufferfe871&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=facebook_organic&fbclid=IwAR31aalhAl0oL3QlxZEpQpsmjNku_7NHmzjG_HNE7swNoy9QSBGWjWSe288

Racial bias skews algorithms widely used to guide care from heart surgery to birth, study finds

This is a new study and a new realm, but the underlying issue of racilal bias in the field of medicine has been well established, even as some people have denied the extent and the pervasiveness.

This is one of the ways in which white privilege pays off, without the white person ever knowing that there is a question.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38869 on: June 18, 2020, 07:47:34 AM »

Bolton alleging that Trump gave his approval to China's detention camps in their Muslim far west, and that Trump asked China's leader to buy more farm products to help his reelection bid.

Wow!

It looks as if it is going to be quite the read. Add Mary Trump's book to it and soon Trump will be left with...

...almost the exact same support he had going into the books coming out, because his supporters mostly don't care.

No person with a brain cell, even Trumpists, can possibly be surprised that Trump sees "obstruction of justice as a way of life."  Republicans let him do it anyway.

This is where the electoral consequences need to fall.  On the Republican enablers of Executive corruption at an absolutely unprecedented scale.  Just as Lindsey Graham said, Republican support of Donald Trump strips them of the moral authority to lead this great country.  Too bad he isn't a big enough man to stand behind those words.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38870 on: June 18, 2020, 07:55:05 AM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/racial-bias-skews-algorithms-widely-used-to-guide-patient-care/

Racial bias skews algorithms widely used to guide care from heart surgery to birth, study finds

Pretty fucked up.

Also, almost all drugs are tested on white males and then the results extrapolated to minorities and females.  White males get accurate results and benefits, everyone else gets guesswork.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38871 on: June 18, 2020, 08:09:00 AM »

While BLM is headlining the news, let's not forget what is likely the bigger problem. To be clear, especially for the hysterical ones among us, I am by no means attempting to minimize the importance of the BLM conversation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2020-06-18/a-painful-covid-19-reminder-from-beijing

China’s new coronavirus outbreak in Beijing is a sobering reminder that in the story of this global pandemic, we are likely only in the first chapter.

For residents of the vibrant city of over 20 million people, it’s like time has rewound. After months of normal life and zero new infections, the abrupt outbreak means that masks are back on, events called off and the kids stuck at home once more. Hopeful plans people made—rescheduled weddings, summer vacations—are now canceled all over again.

The resurgence is startling because China, the country where the coronavirus first emerged last year, has one of the strictest virus containment frameworks globally. The government’s wide-ranging authoritarian powers to monitor and restrict the movement of its citizens go way beyond the measures undertaken in western nations.

And while the 150-plus infections found so far in Beijing are far fewer than what’s being reported daily in the U.S., what’s unsettling is that they erupted after nearly 60 days without any known infections in the city.

The market at the center of the new outbreak said the virus was traced back to the chopping board of a vendor handling imported salmon. This, together with genome sequencing revealing that the strain matched one detected in Europe, has caused a nationwide boycott of imported salmon that’s affected trading partners like Norway and Australia.

But if food items could transmit the virus across borders, the pandemic should be many times larger than it is now, considering how interconnected the global food supply is...

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38872 on: June 18, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »

Unfortunately the extreme polarization of the US electorate has been a boon to the GOP.  W Bush and Trump have been huge disasters, yet they/the GOP can count on nearly 40% of the voting populace as an automatic backstop. 

In more normal less partisan times, Biden would win in a landslide vs. Trump due to the economy, the virus mishandling, the overt racism, the protests, Trump's extensive lying, Trump's extremely poor management of everything, the nepotism, the corruption, the cronies who have been indicted, the impeachment, the polarization itself, plus the boorish and crude behavior, etc.

What does that tell you about white people in the USA?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38873 on: June 18, 2020, 08:48:52 AM »

Something you often hear from Trumpists to excuse their dear leader's corruption is "They all do it, we just didn't hear about it."

Well...No:

Erdogan tried a similar gambit with VP Joe Biden in a meeting at the UNGA in September 2016. Biden said, sorry, the White House can’t intervene in a criminal matter. #Protip: Right answer.

Correct: Indeed, Erdogan tried to run the same play on Biden in August and September 2016 (I was present). Both times Biden told Erdogan that the rule of law in the US precludes the White House from intervening in cases like this.

https://twitter.com/ColinKahl/status/1273352530412441600

Law & Order!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38874 on: June 18, 2020, 08:53:52 AM »

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/17/racial-bias-skews-algorithms-widely-used-to-guide-patient-care/

Pretty fucked up.

Also, almost all drugs are tested on white males and then the results extrapolated to minorities and females.  White males get accurate results and benefits, everyone else gets guesswork.

This is true.

Which is why I have put my healthcare with mostly younger Women of color because I figure they have grandpas and dads so when I say this hurts they tend to not dismiss what I say.

In DC health coverage is relatively simple to acquire, however the challenge is finding the right practice for your needs and if that practice can be accessed through public transportation.
I’m fortunate to have an auto.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38875 on: June 18, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »

On the real tip...

If John Bolton had testified during the impeachment trial it would have made NOT ONE BUT OF DIFFERENCE.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38876 on: June 18, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #38877 on: June 18, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »

On the real tip...

If John Bolton had testified during the impeachment trial it would have made NOT ONE BUT OF DIFFERENCE.

thumb up

And the DOJ can burn every copy in the publisher warehouses,  the key points of the book are already out there (thanks to reviewer copies) and will not deflect one single solitary Trump zombie as it lurches to the polling station. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38878 on: June 18, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »

On the real tip...

Of course not.  In fact nothing anybody said would have one bit of difference during the impeachment trial.  The impeachment trial was lost in the 2016 and 2018 elections. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #38879 on: June 18, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »

Pretty fucked up.

This is true.

Which is why I have put my healthcare with mostly younger Women of color because I figure they have grandpas and dads so when I say this hurts they tend to not dismiss what I say.

And your wife believes you?

LOL.
Pages: 1 ... 2590 2591 [2592] 2593 2594 ... 4288