Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2652 2653 [2654] 2655 2656 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005907 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39795 on: June 24, 2020, 06:05:25 PM »

Trump to sign an Executive Order this week dictating 10 year prison terms for anyone destroying statues/monuments.
The sound grab had him mentioning:
. Jesus Christ
. Washington
. Lincoln
. Jefferson

...my radio news just now.

We don't have a dictator. This is not Australia.

Australia doesn't have one either.

Anyway, Trump is supposed to be signing an Executive Order this week, with whatever that entails.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #39796 on: June 24, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/body-camera-children-held-gunpoint/?fbclid=IwAR26K_bQQwM-pOWDvfJZwVh8gQp2iAZrU7LjaZcfEGDEUGwM_2Tu7R2lls8

Not new, but a fine example of why just obeying the law is not enough to protect these citizens.

This is a good example.  It shows how police assume guilt for blacks where they would probably handle white kids much differently.  This is just one (thankfully non-tragic) example of why the phrase Black Lives Matter needs to be said.  How cops interact with black citizens matters.  Nobody is saying every other life doesn't matter.  We are just drawing attention to the fact that some lives have mattered much less in the eyes of law enforcement. 

In theory no one in the world should have a problem with saying Black Lives Matter.   Only a person who harbors racist hatred would object to drawing attention to the inequality black people face interacting with law enforcement. All lives do matter.  But to law enforcement black lives have not mattered as much.

Everyone can understand this simple point.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39798 on: June 24, 2020, 06:09:55 PM »

Find the 4-year old in the room. From yahoo:

A House Judiciary Committee hearing quickly descended into chaos Wednesday moments after the first witness, former Deputy Attorney General Donald Ayer, called current Attorney General William Barr “the greatest threat in my lifetime to our rule of law.”

When Ayer exceeded the five minutes allotted for his opening statement, Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, began loudly tapping his desk as Ayer was attempting to conclude his remarks.

Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler called for “regular order” to allow Ayer to finish his statement.

“We’re way beyond regular order,” Gohmert snapped.

Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., urged Nadler to call for the sergeant at arms to “stop the disruption of this meeting.”

“I can’t hear this witness,” Johnson said. “This is a very important witness.”

“Well, he’s way beyond his time,” Gohmert said. “And if there’s no rules about when you can talk, there’s no rules about when you can noise.”
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #39799 on: June 24, 2020, 06:10:32 PM »

No one ever accuses republicans any more of acting in good faith. That ship has long ago sailed, floundered, and lies broken And scattered beneath the ceaseless blue waves.

No Lie. YouTube audio,

http://youtu.be/skuqR5UGgv0

No Lie - it's a good podcast.   And I like the David Frum quote in your new tagline.   Primo Levi was correct,  each era has its own form of fascism.  And Trump's is weak and backward-looking. 

Frum seems to be another thinking Republican who has crossed over.   Not bad for the fella who wrote Bush's axis of evil speech.   

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39800 on: June 24, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »

USCIS declares that there was no legal basis for the SCOTUS decision on DACA and their intention to ignore the decision.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39801 on: June 24, 2020, 06:16:28 PM »

Also mentioned on my radio today...25 June already...is that the Korean War started on this day 70 years ago.
5 million soldiers and civilians killed.
Yes, another case of people trying to take what they want by force.
And it wasn't 150 to 300 years ago.

Aussie sent 17,000 troops.
340 died.
1000+ wounded.
Images of 8 Aussie Korean War soldiers will be displayed on the sides of Metro train carriages until 26 July.
Lest We Forget.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:45:32 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39802 on: June 24, 2020, 06:21:37 PM »

Trump to sign an Executive Order this week dictating 10 year prison terms for anyone destroying statues/monuments.
The sound grab had him mentioning:
. Jesus Christ
. Washington
. Lincoln
. Jefferson

...my radio news just now.

We don't have a dictator. This is not Australia.

Australia doesn't have one either.

Anyway, Trump is supposed to be signing an Executive Order this week, with whatever that entails.

A fat toddler making a mess with a sharpie and giving some bigwigs his disease in a photo op.

The mess won’t stand up in court and will be rescinded by the 45th President if the U.S., if we get one.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #39803 on: June 24, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »

After today’s hearings Barr has two choices, seppuku or barbecue.

Either way, his remains should be in hole by sun up. The case on him is closed.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39805 on: June 24, 2020, 06:40:37 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-help-out-at-homeboy-industries-gang-rehab-facility-in-la/ar-BB15VpFM?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Help Out at Homeboy Industries' Gang Rehab Facility in L.A.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are giving back in Los Angeles! On Tuesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited Homeboy Industries, a community social justice organization working to improve the lives of formerly incarcerated and previously gang-involved people in L.A.

The organization provides counselling, education, legal assistance, addiction recovery support, tattoo removal, job training, and direct opportunities for employment through its 10 social enterprises. During their visit, Meghan and Harry got to experience two of those enterprises, Homeboy Bakery and Homegirl Café.

While there, Meghan and Harry joined the Homies working in the café and bakery for a session of cooking and conversation. Together they prepared food for the #FeedHOPE program, which employs Homeboy participants to provide meals to food-insecure seniors and youth across L.A. in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Meghan has been in contact with Father Greg Boyle, who runs the organization, since her days in high school. In fact, she and her mother, Doria Ragland, joined him for a cooking workshop 20 years ago. Meghan even remembers the tamale recipe she learned there to this day. Recently, Meghan and Harry have been speaking to Greg about the racial justice movement.

#####

Well there you go.

Not Duke and Duchess anymore, lost Royal titles when they departed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:52:14 PM by bambu. »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #39806 on: June 24, 2020, 07:09:54 PM »

The circumstances of this case demonstrate that mandamus is appropriate to prevent thel judicial usurpation of executive power.”
Quoting truisms now? Hornbook law impressed you? Yes that is the purpose of mandamus. It is also appropriate to prevent the executive from usurping judicial power.
Just glad to keep you focused. As we know the goal of the chastised
Trial judge was to embarrass Trump. The law be damned.
As we know? LOL. Just because Trump personalizes every decision does not mean they are personal. The stature makes the withdrawal of charges a recommendation. Given the circumstances, any judge of my acquaintance would want to delve before accepting the recommendation. Judges hate being lied to. By counsel a d parties.
LOL
The trial judge“delved” nothing. He called in a friendly  attack judge(emeritus) to interrupt the news cycle. The Appeals Court didn’t bite, even from the beginning.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:22:54 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #39807 on: June 24, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »

News Item

BET (Black Entrrtainment TV)
founder Robert Johnson mocks crowds pulling down statues, calls them 'borderline anarchists'

People tearing down statues "have the mistaken assumption that black people are sitting around cheering for them saying 'Oh, my God, look at these white people. They're doing something so important to us. They're taking down the statue of a Civil War general who fought for the South," Johnson said. "You know, black people, in my opinion, black people laugh at white people who do this the same way we laugh at white people who say we got to take off the TV shows."

Johnson, who became the country's first black billionaire in 2001, has made a $14 trillion pitch for reparations to descendants of slavery. But he said the movement to take down statues, cancel TV shows and fire professors does nothing to close the wealth gap that has persisted since slavery.

It's "tantamount to rearranging the deck chairs on a racial Titanic," Johnson told Fox News. "It absolutely means nothing."

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #39809 on: June 24, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/politics/attorney-general-william-barr-testify-congress/index.html

hahahahahaaaaaa....

Donald Ayer Former Deputy AG: "I was privileged to serve in the DOJ under 2 Republican and 1 Democratic president, and I am here because I believe that William Barr poses the greatest threat in my lifetime to our rule of law and to public trust in it."

pretty funny stuff.

kid's contempt for our democracy and contempt for the rule of law leads one to wonder how many times did his his mom drop him on his pinhead?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 07:43:24 PM by bankshot1 »
Pages: 1 ... 2652 2653 [2654] 2655 2656 ... 4288