Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2661 2662 [2663] 2664 2665 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2006726 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39930 on: June 25, 2020, 01:44:12 PM »

Defending bigotry is Kelly Conway's job.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kellyanne-conway-defends-trumps-use-of-kung-flu-attacks-asian-american-reporter-weijia-jiang?source=articles&via=rss

In fact, in the White House they sing constantly,
"Everybody is Kung Flu fighting!
We're working hard on frightening.
You know it's Chinese lightning..."

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39931 on: June 25, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »

barton

« Reply #39932 on: June 25, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39933 on: June 25, 2020, 01:47:29 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39934 on: June 25, 2020, 01:50:16 PM »

Is it reasonable to connect the violence and partisanship?

In short, no.

“I don’t think there’s any data that would allow us to draw a causal conclusion here,” said David Weisburd, executive director of the Center for Evidence Based Crime Policy at George Mason University. “Somehow arguing that Democrats cause crime or something of that sort just doesn’t fit the history of crime prevention in the U.S.”

If you interpret the claim as referring to Democratic leadership, Weisburd notes that President Bill Clinton had one of the strongest recent administrations in terms of funding the criminal justice system.

But more broadly, linking crime and votes simply doesn’t reflect how crime works. Studies have repeatedly found that urban crime is not a widespread phenomenon — like voting is — but a product of small groups of people in small areas.

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-big-cities-crime-133500241.html

So the old Democrats are criminals trope that the GOP bigots like to trot out in order to employ the Willie Horton Strategy is just another of their Big Lies.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #39935 on: June 25, 2020, 01:57:37 PM »

Send me your poor,  your tired,  your unmanicured masses
Yearning to breathe free germs
The wretched refuse of your teeming monster truck rallies
Send these, the tempest tossed,  and poorly flossed,  to me

I lift my lamp beside the bronzed whore.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #39936 on: June 25, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »

Some Dem-PAC should run that as a 15-second ad.

Though Cap'n Trump may get pissed and think its an attack on one of his his most-favored industries,  the Cruise line biz.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39937 on: June 25, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »

https://queenseagle.com/all/queens-judge-dismisses-trump-family-book-dispute

“The mere fact that the terms of the agreement alleged to be violated are contained in a stipulation of settlement arrived at during a probate contest is not enough, standing alone, to empower this court to obtain jurisdiction,” Kelly wrote in his decision. “The irrefutable conclusion is, regardless of the outcome of this matter, the administration of this estate will not be impacted one iota.”

Wrong court to have tried this under.

And if probate is the only place the NDA was executed, then the Trumps are SOL.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #39938 on: June 25, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »

I just read thru a list of the shootings in Chicago last weekend...each one detailed.
No mention anywhere of cops, racist or otherwise, shooting anyone.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #39939 on: June 25, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »

Trump handling the daily coronavirus briefings will go down as the worst political decision since Nixon got the Plumbers together.  A narcissist with no interest in the virus or the science, and displaying no empathy for the victims, speaking off the cuff on all manner of stuff, especially a medical situation he clearly didn't understand, while frequently congratulating himself on what a great job he was doing ... as an epidemic grimly spread across the land.

It was just way too much Trump, particularly way too much Stupid Trump, and the lack of leadership while hogging the spotlight really was awful.  During a Serious Crisis this was inexcusable.  After a while even Trump's inner circle had to drag him away from the daily self-immolation.

We know how to stop transmission of a respiratory virus, and with will and leadership it could have been done at a fraction of the deaths/hospitalizations/infections, and with less economic pain.

Trump was handed the means to his re-election.  A crisis that - if responded to properly - could have united his base + undecided voters behind him.  He claims to be a wartime president and here was his election year enemy.  All he had to do was understand the tools (masks, social isolation etc) to win the battle.   The fact that he flubbed the initial response a little ... that was even understandable, he could have convinced people to get behind his blaming of china, WHO, and health officials for lack of information... but it's been clear for at least the last two months what this illness is and how to beat it back.   So even after he flubbed the early opportunity to be a wartime president and win the battle he still had a chance to pivot and say "After seeing how we were all initially fooled into thinking this would blow over we now know what we need to do...."  he still didn't do that because he lacks the ability to admit mistake and move on from it.

We accept managerial mistakes all the time.  We allow them to make mistakes with sports franchises and then learn from those mistakes.  Trump had his chance for a muilligan.  But he never took it.  He insisted he was right all along and he will have no one to blame but his own ego if he loses in November.   All he needed was a litle bit of April humility.   We are on the doorstep of July and he is still "Wishing the virus away".

He never confronted "this invisible enemy" on the battlefield with the tools available.  Even if the tools were in short supply at first, that's not the case now.  He has chosen to run from this enemy time and again offering excuse after excuse.  By his own metric as a wartime leader he has come up a failure.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39940 on: June 25, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »

Some Dem-PAC should run that as a 15-second ad.

Though Cap'n Trump may get pissed and think its an attack on one of his his most-favored industries,  the Cruise line biz.

There are many fine people in the cruise business. Believe me.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39941 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:06 PM »

All he needed was a litle bit of April humility.   We are on the doorstep of July and he is still "Wishing the virus away".

Even now if he could bring himself to say publicly that he messed up he could recover with a lot of people. Hell, it wouldn't get me to vote for him, but I would think far better of him should he manage that and then follow through on changes.

But it just isn't going to happen. He cannot ask for God's forgiveness, he sure as Hell isn't going to ask for ours!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39942 on: June 25, 2020, 03:58:45 PM »

Remember my complaining a couple weeks ago that the numbers seemed a tad on the low side in the death counts in the US?

Today, NJ just posted over 1700 deaths - the bulk of them are "unassigned" to any municipality.

These are the [probable deaths that have been included in some other places for quite a while, but resisted in many as well. It increased their total to date by ~13%.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/06/nj-reports-probable-coronavirus-deaths-for-1st-time-death-toll-now-at-14872-with-170k-total-positive-tests.html

It'll play hob with metrics for a week or so, unless they get distributed by date appropriately.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #39943 on: June 25, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »

Trump was handed the means to his re-election.  A crisis that - if responded to properly - could have united his base + undecided voters behind him. 

... he lacks the ability to admit mistake and move on from it. Trump had his chance for a mulligan.  But he never took it.  He insisted he was right all along and he will have no one to blame but his own ego if he loses in November.   All he needed was a little bit of April humility.   We are on the doorstep of July and he is still "Wishing the virus away".

The GOP reinforced Trump's bad tendencies, with its anti-science and anti-expert stances.  Believing the gov't can't do anything right and staffing the gov't with unqualified hacks.  And desire to make everything a partisan issue.

So the Trump Admin naturally failed because they don't believe in experts, science or good government, so they were completely unprepared.

But I agree, Trump had many opportunities to say that the Coronavirus doesn't see Democrats or Republicans or Red or Blue states, that we're all in this together and united we will defeat the virus.   It's a national emergency and we will rose to the occasion, etc.  A chance to act Presidential and non-partisan.  Follow the advice of the experts.  Strict lockdowns, tons of aid for those put out of work.  Then reopen 10-12 weeks later, when states meet the (now thrown away) guidelines, with plans for testing and tracing in place.

I just think there were too many mental blocks for Trump, the GOP, and right-wing yahoos to overcome.  They proved themselves selfish, and uncaring and irresponsible and just plain bad citizens.  Became a danger to themselves and others.

As you noted, Trump's tendency has always been to double-down and dig in and never admit a mistake.  It's just hard to see what Trump actually expected short of the virus just magically ending.  Maybe he believed the analogy to the common flu too much.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #39944 on: June 25, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »

Today, NJ just posted over 1700 deaths - the bulk of them are "unassigned" to any municipality.

I'm not too surprised.
Now that the peak has passed in NJ, they can better sort out data and stats and assess what happened better than in the heat of the crisis.  Though I don't expect many Red states will take the opportunity to revise their numbers, if they ever gte the virus under control.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 2661 2662 [2663] 2664 2665 ... 4288